Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #1

Getting ready for the camping season

Hello All,

I have had my 122BH winterized during the cold weather and we are ready to get it prepared for the camping season. I have charged my battery, but I am a complete newbie regarding the other tasks needed to get my camper ready for the road. Could anyone post a list of things to be done and a short description of how to do them when required. I need to know how to properly fill the camper with water making sure that the water heater is filled and all of the valves are in their proper positions. I also need to know how to test the water heater, water pump, etc. prior to hitting the road. Also, do I need to grease the wheel bearings for the season?
Many thanks in advance for your help with this information!

Kix
Old 05-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #2

The first thing I would do is hook the water up to the city water and open all the faucets and get all the pink anti freeze out. Then I am sure you by passed your water heater so turn the valves back in the summer position so you can fill hot water tank. Then open the pressure relief valve on your hot water tank to get all the air out when filling the tank by opening a hot water faucet in the camper.. Then once water is coming out close the valve and let the tank fill. Then turn on propane and purge out lines by turning on the stove till you get it to light and then light your hot water heater let it warm up a bit and check for hot water at faucets.

Yes putting some grease in the wheel bearings wouldn't be a bad idea.

Good luck!!
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #3

Camping Season

Many Thanks wyo700!!!

That's just the information I was looking for! I appreciate your taking the time to help out.

Kix
Old 05-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Mostly Harmless

Don't put TOO much grease in the bearings, it's possible you could blow out the grease seals in the hub. Grease will then migrate into the brake drum and bye-bye brakes. Don't ask me how I know (ok, I'll tell: lost brakes in mountains in Alaska last summer, repair shop in Anchorage said too much grease in the hub blew the seals, and they see that a lot with campers that have the hubs like ours). Just a squirt or two should do it.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #5

Too Much Grease

Many Thanks thehamguy1,

That is good information and I will follow your hard earned wisdom. We are heading up to southwest Colorado over the Memorial Day weekend to visit one of my absolute favorite camping spots just east of Durango near the Vallecito reservoir. Very pretty country for sure.

Thanks for the advice!

Kix
Old 05-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
Mostly Harmless

Oh man, Kix, I wish we were going along! We've had many happy camping experiences in Colorado and New Mexico, though not in the area you're headed for. Please have so much fun that you have extra to give away!
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 05-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post379227

This is how I do the plumbing...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #8

De-Winterizing

Many Thanks to all for the great advice! I have completed my de-winterizing procedure and everything looks good! I have my camper plugged in to power in my driveway and everything is working great...water system, water heater, faucets, shower, drains, lights, A/C and Heat systems, stove and grill, microwave, radio, furnace, leak check on the roof, greased wheel bearings (lightly), lubed and checked hitch and associated equipment, brakes and brake lights work well. Nw...if I could only get my refrigerator to work!!! AAARRRGGGHH!!! I can't seem to get it to work no matter what I do. Plugged in to 110 power it should start to work pretty quickly, right? Any suggestions?

Kix

Hamguy,

I'll post some pictures from this weekend if I can. SW Colorado is truly beautiful!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixonrt66 View Post
Plugged in to 110 power it should start to work pretty quickly, right? Any suggestions?
"Pretty quickly" --- Not.

Using shore power, it could take from 8 - 12 hours to cool an empty fridge.

I put bag ice in the freezer, and turn it on the night before I plan on loading it.

FYI - Propane is a more efficient heat source so if you are cramped for time, switch it to "gas only."
Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #10

Quote:
if I could only get my refrigerator to work!!! AAARRRGGGHH!!! I can't seem to get it to work no matter what I do. Plugged in to 110 power it should start to work pretty quickly, right? Any suggestions?
I had a problem like that and I found out that the power outlet to the fridge was dead by connecting a power drill to it. All I had to do was to reset the GFCI outlet. I hope that is the case...

Good Luck.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #11

Fridge issues

Thanks very much herk7769,

I wondered why it was taking so long. Going out to switch to propane operation right now. Just to check...I switch off both the 120v and 12V switches in the upper compartment and then turn on my propane tanks and light the pilot in the lower compartment by holding in the button and pushing the igniter switch. I should set the temp knob to around 3-4 to prevent over cooling, right?

Kix
Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #12

That is the correct procedure. However it is not a pilot (a small flame that stay on to light a bigger, cyclical flame) it is the burner. Overcooling is a matter of outside temperature. If it very hot out set the flame to a higher, or even the highest setting. I do this here in the heat of summer, you may not need to.

I fill some plastic milk jugs with water and keep them in the freezer. Sticking a few in the fridge will insure it cools quickly, protects the fridge contents while on the road and gives you ice cold drinking water at camp.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Just to check...I switch off both the 120v and 12V switches in the upper compartment and then turn on my propane tanks and light the pilot in the lower compartment by holding in the button and pushing the igniter switch. I should set the temp knob to around 3-4 to prevent over cooling, right? Kix
Kix,

This would be model dependent. My fridge does not have the same controls as yours (yours is a 3 way and mine is a 2 way).

Herk
Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
Mostly Harmless

When we run ours on propane we have to turn it down to 2 or less to keep from freezing stuff. On electric we set it to around 4 and a half. As Herk and all have said, it's ambient-temperature dependent. Starting at 3 or 4 as you plan makes sense to start getting the range on the beast. Put the more freeze-prone stuff like veggies on the top shelf and the stuff you want really cold on the bottom. And tell the kids it's not a revolving door, open it as few times as possible.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 05-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #15

Refrigerator

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. The fridge is now cooling really well on propane power. I like this because I can let it stay cool while we are driving up to Colorado and also for the weekend. The little campground where we will be staying has no power outlets, and just latrine style toilets so running on propane is my best possible scenario.

Thanks folks!

Kix
Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #16

Colorado Camping Memoriel Day Weekend

Hello All!

Thanks for the great advice on the fridge, it worked great all weekend on propane! We had a great time in Colorado this past weekend...the weather was spectacular! The high temps were 70-72 degrees and the lows were in the 40's. We slept warm and cozy in our 122BH A frame and enjoyed the scenery and great folks at the campground. We had a good long soak in the local hot springs and took a drive up to Silverton to watch the narrow guage railroad train come into town. Here are a few pictures:

Southwest Colorado is truly magnificent!

Kix