Old 09-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #1

GFC

Getting ready to go camping in our new A213 and wanted to get the refrigerator going to get it good and cold for the food. Though I had the unit plugged into AC in the driveway, I could not get the fridge to run on AC. I began troubleshooting the thing. Current coming into the trailer OK, but no current in the outlet into which the fridge plugs in. No current in the AC outlets inside either. Checked the fuse in the fridge; it was OK. Checked the breakers; all OK. Checked the house breakers, even though I knew I had current to the trailer. Driving me nuts! Finally called the dealer and talked to the service guy. He asked me if I looked at the GFCI on the electrical-furnace compartment? Checked it, reset it, and what do you know, --AC power to the refrigerator. I know this is a rookie mistake, but I thought it was worth sharing in the event that others have a similar problem.

kot

kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

Thanks.. good to know where the gfci button is located. Guess it's the same on an a122s.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #3

It will cool quicker on propane.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #4

Kind of a related question.. I suppose it's ok to cool down the fridge, before a trip,.. while the aframe is folded down?
Old 09-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #5

Yep, many folks run it while on the road. If you use DC, stop for lunch, be sure to shut frig off or switch to propane as the Dc with kill your battery with TV stopped too long.
You're gonna enjoy that camper! I am doing a shake down in the driveway this week for a long trip next month and reading all the electrical/appliance stuff from those sections here on the forum, keeping in camper for permanent reference. Now that I have 30 Amp outlet at home, I can get better acquainted with all the setting for A/C, furnace, etc and with the Progressive EMS protector, I can see what each system draws as I turn it on !
Old 09-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

GFCI

DobeFanatic, yes, it will probably cool quicker on propane but, as long as I have all night to let it cool, why use all that propane when I can just plug it in?Us retired folks try not to hurry!

kdot
Old 09-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #7

GFCI

Chuck, I've cooled down my fridge many times while it's folded up to get ready for a trip. Never a problem, except if you store the unit with the refrigerator door ajar (as you should!), then you have to raise the roof just a tad to release the trailer door so you can crawl in and close the fridge door before starting it up, but it's a minor inconvenience.

Kdot
Old 09-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #8

Thanks... I usually, in my previous travel trailer, turned on the fridge a couple days before a trip. Let it get good and cool. Most if the time I am camping less than an hour from home.. and the fridge will stay pretty cold until I get to the campground. I have never run a fridge while towing. Not that I think there is any problem doing so... I just never have.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #9

I am in the process of a shakedown in the drive since I have 30 amp service at the house now and discovered something thanks to the Progressive EMS unit. I am running the A/C which pulls 10-11 amps, then added the electric for frig and put remote thermostat in to monitor cooling progress for couple days. With both running it is pulling 12 amps. Now I know that my A/C is not a 13.5 BTU but rather 10 BTU. I confirmed this from papers I found this morn for the Cool Cat model 441003.701.
It is 92 + outside today and is cooling like a champ, so no issues thank goodness and I usually camp in the cooler weather in SC in the Fall, but sure did think I had 13.5 BTU all this time. Still don't see any drainage coming out though and it is very humid !!