Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #1

Ghost in the radio

My new a124 radio kept turning on by itself this weekend. I turned it off at least four times on Saturday. Am I doing something wrong? I just hold the power button until the lights go out. It has been unplugged for about five or six days and is running on battery. I would rather the red power light go off when it is turned off, but it stays on. I finally turned off all the speakers so if it came on again I wouldn't be bothered with it.

We did not make the maiden voyage this weekend as planned, life had other plans, my wife got a big bear hug from our son which cracked her rib. Does anybody know how long that takes to heal...or at least allow her to function. She has been in a great deal of pain. The good news is I got some things done around the house and we'll go another weekend.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrane2299 View Post

We did not make the maiden voyage this weekend as planned, life had other plans, my wife got a big bear hug from our son which cracked her rib. Does anybody know how long that takes to heal...or at least allow her to function. She has been in a great deal of pain. .
Ouch! Cracked ribs hurt! I feel for her.

I crashed on my bike two years ago and ended up with cracked (not fractured) ribs. It hurt to do anything that required deep breathing and the first few days were hard to sit up out of bed. Not fun.

My doctor said 3-6 weeks and it really did take three weeks for me. I wish her the best.

Sorry I can't help with the radio.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #3

Does your radio have remote control??? If you do find out where it is (under the couch). Someone might be accidently turning it on, when they sit down or move. Dont ask how I know .... Lol
Old 04-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime0022 View Post
Does your radio have remote control??? If you do find out where it is (under the couch). Someone might be accidently turning it on, when they sit down or move. Dont ask how I know .... Lol

My next door neighbor has been having trouble with his satellite TV. We were joking that his wife was causing it trying to find something to watch.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #5

The concertone in my A122 had to be replaced as it would turn off each time i turned down the volume. Not a well made product in my estimation .. take it in for a warrenty replacement.

d-mo
Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #6

I would tend to agree that it looks suspicious in terms of quality. It is definitely not stereo. I might just pull the fuse and maybe later replace it with a automotive style unit. It would cost the same in gas to take it in and then go back and pick it up, plus I'd have a much better radio.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #7

I've not had any trouble with mine. Might give the power button a workout (power on, off, on, off many many times). Sometimes just working a micro switch like used in those buttons works things in.

I just press and release my power button (don't hold until power off). Wonder if that could have something to do with it.

You are right as well regarding 'stereo'. The unit is of course stereo, but FR only put one speaker on each output so effectively it's mono. I had mine out the other day doing a light mod (looking for a possible power source). I didn't note whether each speaker was wired left or right or if they made front left and the rear one left. I guess one could add additional speakers but routing the wiring would be a pain. I would want one added front, and one added rear for better sound.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Mostly Harmless

I had the same problem. I'd go out to look at my A128 in the driveway each morning and find that the radio was on. I finally realized that someone (probably me, while messing with it) had set the timer and it was coming on every morning at the time I'd unintentionally set. I dug out the manual and followed the instructions for turning the timer function off. That stopped it from happening, but then I went a bit further: I pulled the unit out, snipped the +12v wire to it, and installed an inline switch which I mounted in the cabinet next to the unit. Problem not only solved, but stomped into submission!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #9

Timer here also !
Old 04-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #10

If I had an extra switch I'd have done the same when i had the radio out. On my list. I hate the red light at night.

Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote