Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #1

Going from a larger travel trailer to an A frame

My question is how many here have downsized from a larger travel trailer to an A frame? Do you feel that it has been worth it? My girlfriend and I went to the local RV show a couple of weekends ago and really liked the A frames and the R-Pods. The kids are in their teens and really aren't into camping much anymore. We'd be going from a 26 foot travel trailer with lots of bells and whistles. We upgraded in the past from a pop up to the travel trailer. I don't miss the leaks from the pop up that's why the A frame is intriguing to us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
burmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #2

We downsized from a 12ft box pop-up (Coleman Westlake) to the basic A-frame when the kids went off to college.

It is a great, plush mobile "tent" for 2-3. And that's the way we use it. With a mattress topper, the beds are extremely comfortable. The A-frame sets up (and takes down) in less than 15 minutes, and 5 minutes of that is connecting/disconnecting the WDH. It tows with a minivan, and sits in a garage stall between trips, ready to go on the next trip. With less than 2 hours notice, we can have food and clothing packed, the camper hooked up, and on the road. If we don't like a campground, or feel the need to move on, we can break camp and be on the road in less than an hour.

Heater, air conditioner, microwave are all standard. Dry camping - quite common for us in national parks and last minute decisions to go - is quite practical except in hot areas during the summer. The air conditioning will run on 15-20 amp circuits if need be - the small volume (less than 1/4 of same box size PUP) and better insulation requires a small A/C or heater.

We cook, eat, lounge, clean up outside at the table unless the weather drives us inside. We mostly spend our days sight-seeing, hiking, and other local activities, so we really don't spend a lot of time inside the A-frame.

The downsides are very minimal floor space. Being chunky, there really isn't floor space for both of us to be getting dressed at the same time. We have always used the campground toilets and showers, so the minimum floor space for the toilet is not an issue. When we camp with another couple - the minivan is great for four adults - they use a tent. The A-frame interior is a little cramped to sleep 4 adults.

There are bigger A-frames than ours. But the garage storage and minivan towability in the Rocky Mountains were essential features for us.

just our experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last trip (Nov): Arches, Capitol Reef National Parks
next trip: Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #3

We did exactly what you're considering

We had two different 26 foot travel trailers and went to an A-frame and definitely feel like it was a good decision for us. There are so many pluses - storage, set up, pack up, maneuvering, CLEANING and maintenance. It's just so much easier and more fun. We do miss the bathroom especially at night and at first we had leakage issues but those have been resolved. It's just been a good change for us.
deebie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies so far! The bathroom wouldn't be that big of an issue with me. We tent camped for years before moving to a pop up. I use the bathroom sparingly in the travel trailer. Nice to have at times. If we do go the A frame route we may opt for the one with the bathroom. They're really not too
bad. I miss towing the pop up. It was alot easier to tow and to store.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

I have the shower/cassette toilet in mine. Going on 4 years now and do not regret it. Some say they would rather have the storage space than the shower/ toilet combo but I do use it for storage when on the road and sometimes when set up. It's only used a few minutes a day for shower/toilet and the rest of the time you can use space however you wish. For what it's worth I would rather have it than not. Just my two cents worth!
Old 01-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #6

For me it all depends on where I want to travel. Love my aframe but did buy the one with the shower/toilet. I have a 27' 5th wheel but most places I go its a PITA to bring. Still use a very lightweight tent for multi day hikes. If I did it over again I would buy an aframe and a RV. RV for long travel with the jeep and an aframe for quick getaways having my tent as a backup.

My downsizing input...
1.) it is tough limiting the items you bring but having a full truck bed helps a lot. You probably know what I mean from your tent camping days. So far I have all the same items in my aframe as the bigger camper just less of them.

2.) You have a little less privacy in the shower/toilet in the aframe.

3.) Great for 2 people... 3 people if two sleep in the bed.

4.) The aframe is way better to park, pull and turnaround. It is easier to tow in any situation vs travel trailer.

5.) One major catch with the aframe is putting it up/taking down. It is not hard but sometimes you wish you just opened the door and walk in. Especially after getting to the park at 3am lol.

6.) The A/C can not keep up during the summer months in Texas. The 5th wheel is great during the summer vs the aframe.

7.) I was going to buy a casita instead of the aframe. I ended up with the aframe because casita was going to take 8 months to build. I personally debate if I chose correctly. Each one has their pros and cons. I love having the only aframe when I camp. Much easier for friends to find me.

My takeaway summed up... the aframe is great if you don't mind setting up the walls each time you camp. Towing is great. Less people is peaceful. Learn to bring less stuff. In the end.... do what makes you happy and allows you to travel/camp more.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #7

Guess it depends on how much camping you do and what type of "bells and whistles" you are used to. Good luck.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #8

We went through a succession from 19' to 26' trailers and finally a 31' fifth wheel. We weren't satisfied with any of the bigger rigs due to maneuverability problems in the kinds of places we like to camp - state and national parks. Also, except for the fifth wheel, they were less than comfortable. I'm 6'-6" and space inside was uncomfortable one way or the other. The A212HW fits me O.K., so I'm happy with it and it frees us to comfortably go where we want with little problem. Most of our Florida state parks have hookups for electricity and the Cool Cat keeps the unit cool just fine. We really do have everything we need to enjoy camping the way we like.

2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer TV
The Villages, Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #9

DOWNSIZE?

How about from This:

To this:

I love the A-Frame. 100 days camping in the last 2 years; about 7000 miles towing. I even added a carrier on the back for my trusty Yamaha, so I can explore back roads and trails.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:33 PM   #10

We have a 35 foot trailer but use our Flagstaff 21TBHW for all our trips. This winter we have already spent 2 weeks in Panama City Beach, St Andrews State Park, and just got back from 3 weeks in Northeast Florida. Next week leave for South West Florida. I tell you this to demonstrate how much we love our A Frame. The two twin beds become a king bed and we use one side of the bed for a row of storage boxes with drawers for clothes and food. This has solved all our storage problems and we still have a Queen bed. We also use the screen room/canopy whenever we camp for 2 days or longer. Don't let the negative reviews dissuade you. After a little experimentation the room only takes an additional 10 minutes to set up but doubles living space. We have used the room in 40 degree weather with a small space heater and been extremely comfortable. Tows easily. Sets up quickly. Very weather tight. The only problem was the roof actuator which I replaced today with a heavy duty unit from Windy Nation. I also added a rear view blue tooth camera because I like to see what is behind me. Not at all sorry I chose the a frame over the r-Pod and Casita.
Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have specific questions.
boatman811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #11

6'6" in an A Frame You win
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:25 PM   #12

WoW~ I thought we really downsized. Numerous units from 19' to a 43' 5er. Last year we went from 43' to a 35' 5er. Back to 40' or so when the 2018s come out possibly.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:08 AM   #13

We went from a Palomino Puma 5th Wheel to an A 213HW and haven't looked back. The cassette toilet was a must, as were the separated beds with an aisle between them.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
6'6" in an A Frame You win

Believe it or not, the high wall and the layout makes it easy for me to stand full height where needed - around the stove, etc. and sitting at the dinette is no problem. The full queen bed is great and has always been the only hard and fast requirement we had when buying an RV.

2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer TV
The Villages, Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #15

Thanks again everyone for all the great information! I'm probably not alone in saying that I'm always looking to upgrade my camper. Can never seem to be satisfied with what I have. And then I go to the RV show and see all the different types and styles of campers! The A frame is definitely an option a couple of years from now when the last of the kids graduate high school. We'd like to be able to travel further than we do now. My Tahoe pulls my 26 footer fine, but I'm not really comfortable taking it on long trips to say Myrtle Beach or Gatlinburg or Florida. So I either upgrade the tow vehicle or go for a smaller camper.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #16

Thank you Burmik...so glad we're not the only campers in the same boat! We've owned a Class A and now own a 2016 T19QBHW Flagstaff Aframe. It's much easier to tow through the Smokies than driving a Class A. There are pros and cons to all campers. Keeps it interesting for us. Happy camping!
Mountain Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman811 View Post
We have a 35 foot trailer but use our Flagstaff 21TBHW for all our trips. This winter we have already spent 2 weeks in Panama City Beach, St Andrews State Park, and just got back from 3 weeks in Northeast Florida. Next week leave for South West Florida. I tell you this to demonstrate how much we love our A Frame. The two twin beds become a king bed and we use one side of the bed for a row of storage boxes with drawers for clothes and food. This has solved all our storage problems and we still have a Queen bed. We also use the screen room/canopy whenever we camp for 2 days or longer. Don't let the negative reviews dissuade you. After a little experimentation the room only takes an additional 10 minutes to set up but doubles living space. We have used the room in 40 degree weather with a small space heater and been extremely comfortable. Tows easily. Sets up quickly. Very weather tight. The only problem was the roof actuator which I replaced today with a heavy duty unit from Windy Nation. I also added a rear view blue tooth camera because I like to see what is behind me. Not at all sorry I chose the a frame over the r-Pod and Casita.
Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have specific questions.

What Bluetooth camera do you use? Can you provide an Amazon link? I have been looking for one. Thanks.
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #18
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Guess it depends on how much camping you do and what type of "bells and whistles" you are used to. Good luck.
X 2 I like my space and I'm not a great fan of using camp ground facilities of any sort. Only thing I would consider is a shorter tt so I can still keep all my bells and whistles. I'm also over 6 ft and I don't see where an A frame would be all that comfortable. Spending a considerable amount of time in a small camper during bad weather is not my cup of tea either Not all camping days are sunny and bright. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:55 PM   #19

I have both a 26' TT and an AFrame. It really depends on the type of camping you do.

AFrame is simpler, easy to tow and set up - but you will probably spend most of your time outside when eating and cooking. I would not want to spend more than a 2-3 days in it at once and it is a bit cramped for two changing clothes. I don't think it would work well with kids on a rainy day.

The TT has many more amenities, and would be my choice for longer time periods of camping, for bad weather, especially if going to stay in one place. It also is my choice if camping with more than two persons or with the grandkids.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #20

We have had a A122 for six years, really regret not getting a pop up with a toilet/ shower, it did include a porta potty, however there’s simply no good place to put it, especially at night when we would use it
wcoloradokid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, trailer, travel, travel trailer