Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganmartin
Now we're cooking with gas (pun intended)...this is some serious banter going about now...lots to be gleamed from this discussion.
There another tip... When cooking with gas... Vent the galley window and fan on low
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganmartin

How much do you vent?..like crack the roof fan cover?

LM
I would open the roof vent at least half to 3/4 and run the fan on low. You'll have to slightly open (we call it cracking a window here in the south) one of the side windows. The AFrames seal fairly tight. The fan won't run if the vent isn't opened enough the fan won't operate ... There a cutoff switch.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
I would open the roof vent at least half to 3/4 and run the fan on low. You'll have to slightly open (we call it cracking a window here in the south) one of the side windows. The AFrames seal fairly tight. The fan won't run if the vent isn't opened enough the fan won't operate ... There a cutoff switch.
Yes, I am familiar with "cracking" windows. I'll just have to experiment with fully buttoned up furnace night and go to venting from there if there are any issues. I am completely comfortable (in fact I prefer) sleeping in mid 50's temps so the furnace probably won't have to strain too hard to keep that temp...even with some venting.

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #24
Flagstaff 22FBS

Yes, respiration during the night will cause humidity, especially on the windows behind the closed curtains. It sounds gross, but a person will loose up to 1 quart of moisture, during sleep, over night.

Opening the vent (1/2 inch or so) won't loose you much heat and might be more comfortable along with helping relieve the morning moisture build up.

I would suggest opening the vent open just enough that the lid still laps over the frame. This way if it rains during the night, it shouldn't rain in, that is, unless it's a driving rain.

We've never had frost on the walls, but that's just our experience.

Running the fan shouldn't be necessary unless it gets stuffy and you want some fresh air. The CO detector is hard wired in (no worries about bad batteries) and should be warning enough if there is a problem there.

Our CO detector actually went off one night. All we can figure out is it was from our breathing and the Aframe being buttoned up tight (can you say breath mint?).

When cooking we open the vent and run the fantastic fan to vent out that moisture.

Closing up the camper for storage, with excessive moisture in it, can cause the mold issues others have had problems with. That's one reason I like to open up our camper when we get home and air it out, especially important after camping in the rain. Also, I leave the bed unmade between trips, so the mattress will air out.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #25

Thanks for the tips, Deb. Yes, I was thinking that just cracking the roof vent without running it would be about right.

Oh great..I get to look forward to the CO detector going off now at some point...

After three trips so far, I have always opened the camper and windows and run the fan when I've returned to expel any residual moisture. I have also washed the camper each time before storing it in the garage (the neighbor claims I will wash the paint off of it)...and I like Mike G's idea of throwing a can of damp-rid in there for long storage periods too.

This is probably overkill, but I have actually been wiping down the stabilizer jacks after each trip as well. Call it a sickness.

LM
Old 04-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #26

yes .. wiping down the stabilizer jacks definately shows that you are symptomatic ... I wouldnt have let that cat out of the bag ..

d-mo
Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
yes .. wiping down the stabilizer jacks definately shows that you are symptomatic ... I wouldnt have let that cat out of the bag ..

d-mo
Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganmartin View Post
Call it a sickness.
Ok. It's a sickness.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #29
Flagstaff 22FBS

I'd rather call it an "obsession" rather than sickness. Gary washed and waxed our A126 during our first week of ownership.

Really though, we all spent our hard earned money on these campers. I appreciate it that Gary takes good care or ours, like you guys do.

Next project: squeeze a little time off and go!

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post

d-mo
If the OP is like most people this habit will end up dying off in time. If not then that will be one clean looking unit.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote