Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #1

Hard start capacitor on cool cat 10,000 btu heat pump

I just bought a Flagstaff A-frame and have a Champion 2000 generator on the way. My trailer has the Cool Cat 10,000 btu heat pump/ac.

I believe the Cool Cat runs on 1,500 watts but has 3,000 surge watts. I would like to install the hard start capacitor and see if the Champion will run the AC.

Here is a link to the capacitor: Amazon.com: Part No. SPP6 Series PTC Capacitor Combination, Operating Voltage (VAC) 90 - ...: Home Improvement
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #2

someone else, on here, tried the hard start capacitor but didn't have any luck.
u aren't going hurt anything by installing it. it may help.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #3

This is my first post and what I know about RV's, air-conditioners, amps, watts etc. is EXTREMELY LIMITED. I have never even owned an RV before but I am getting ready to buy a Rockwood A124 and have been researching the same thing you are asking about. First of all I think that your wattages MAY be a little off but then again I might be wrong. I'm guessing the actual wattage for a Cool Cat 10,000 BTU unit is most likely around 700 to 1,000 watts depending on set fan speed... MAYBE 1,400 to 2,000 watts when the compressor initially kicks in. There evidently are other factors involved in start up current requirements such as outdoor temperature, A/C head pressure (whatever that is) and altitude (for the generator). I could not find the manual or specs for the Dometic Cool Cat unit so this is all basically theory. If someone has a manual or the specs for this unit, please feel free to chime in. The hard start capacitor can only help but maybe not as much as some are claiming. After more Internet digging than I care to admit, I came across an article which I know that you will be very interested in. It does a comparison between the Supco Capacitor ($20) and the Dometic Smart Start device ($400) and gives a detailed breakdown of current requirements for compressor start up. I am wondering if it is possible to run the Cool Cat 10,000 BTU equipped with a Smart Start device off of a 1,000 watt Honda or Yamaha generator. If the Cool Cat would run off of 1,000 watt generator, the generator would be running at 75% to 100% of capacity (depending on how many watts it's using) which means it would be screaming. I am certain that a 2,000 watt generator would run the unit with a whole lot less work than the 1,000 watt unit and without the Smart Start device. Please look at this link which is testing done by the Dometic Marine Division and compares a 16,500 BTU unit using the Supco Capacitor and then the Smart Start device. Too bad the smart start device isn't a whole lot cheaper.

Now the obvious question here is why buy a $850 1,000 watt Honda/Yamaha generator and a Smart Start device which would total up to about $1,250 when you could just buy the 2,000 watt Honda/Yamaha generator for $1,000 and be done with it? Well the 2,000 watt generator will be running at about 45% of rated capacity and probably be quiter than a 1,000 watt unit running at 75% -100% capacity. There's also a possibility that since the 1,000 watt unit is running near maximum that it might use more fuel than the 2,000 watt unit that is just loafing along. Of course the 1,000 watt unit is smaller and lighter than a 2,000 watt unit and this is why I started looking at this merry-go-round in the first place.

Again all this is theory and guessing. Remember about the only thing I'm an expert in, is getting old and fat so take everything I just said with a grain of salt.

I cannot wait to get my A124!!!
Maranatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #4

Great info. I will probably try the $20 option first. Just need to find someone who has done it. My Champion is a refurb and the seller is an authorized Champion dealer who claims they are updated to latest specs and firmware. Probably won't work but I guess there's always a chance.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #5

I would try it first without the capacitor just for curiosity sake. Let me know what you find out. Also if you you get that capacitor, be careful. I think it can hold enough current even disconnected to KILL YOU! Hopefully someone on here will chime in about that as I am not very knowledgeable about those things.

Also let me know if you have run the A/C and how it performed. I am in Texas and hope it works well. I had a salesman tell me that it would freeze you out but who knows?

By the way, which model A-frame did you get? I am looking at the Rockwood A124?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranatha View Post

Also let me know if you have run the A/C and how it performed. I am in Texas and hope it works well. I had a salesman tell me that it would freeze you out but who knows?

By the way, which model A-frame did you get? I am looking at the Rockwood A124?
Last summer we were working a job for 4 days in 108 degree temps at 75+ % humidity. We had our camper with us for midday breaks, eating and to sleep in. Our aframe was parked under shade trees, plugged into 30amp service and the Coolcat preformed beautifully. It was so hot that the fridge couldn't keep up even though it was on ac current and in the shade all day. Gary and I are convinced that we couldn't have survived the work if it wasn't for our aframe and the Coolcat. The 10K BTU coolcat was one of the many major factors for buying this brand over the Aliner, which comes with a 5000 BTU AC unit.

We have the Rockwood A126.
Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #7

Thanks for that information Gary. It is helpful. Sometimes people tell you an air-conditioner works well but they have never had there trailer anywhere above 80 degrees.

I've read from some people that the refrigerator works better on propane than electricity. Not sure why, but I've read it too many times to dismiss it.

I will hopefully be picking up my new A124 in the next few weeks. Thanks again for your input.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:

I've read from some people that the refrigerator works better on propane than electricity. Not sure why, but I've read it too many times to dismiss it.
Yes, Gary said that he agrees that is true, but, like you, doesn't know exactly why propane works better. At that time it was so hot and we were so fried that we weren't thinking straight.

Quote:
I will hopefully be picking up my new A124 in the next few weeks. Thanks again for your input.
Congrats and

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #9

I have the generator you are talking about. Its lightweight, quiet and works like a charm. We had 103 degree temps this weekend with high humidity and I didnt really need the a/c - jist used the fan on high and turned on the vent above to pull out the heat...it sure cooled us off within minutes. The fridge did fine -I think of it as a glorified cooler without the ice.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #10

Hammick

This will be great if it works. I will be waiting for your results. I also have a rockwood aframe and champion 2000 generator.
cleancut39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #11

Cleancut...
Have you not tried to run the Cool Cat off of your 2,000 wattt generator?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #12

I just came across the following post by Mike G which says that he was able to run a Cool Cat 10,000 BTU off of a 2,000 watt Yamaha generator.

Originally Posted by Mike G on 03-19-12:
"I just purchased a Yamaha 2000 watt generator and it runs my Cool Cat fine. I copied a post about the generator below.
Well I fired up the new Yamaha generator and it started on the first pull! This thing is super quiet and easy to use. I was loading my camper back up for the year and hooking everything back up, so I decided to see if the generator would run the AC unit. The generator never even flinched, it stayed in Eco mode and I even turned on the lights and roof fan.
The Yamaha 2000 watt will run our 10,000 Cool Cat!!!
I am glad I did not buy a bigger generator, this thing is not extremely heavy, but I would not want to carry or move anything heavier."
Old 07-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #13

That's great that the Yamaha will run it. I doubt the Champion will run it but I will give it a try. I don't pick up my trailer until Saturday and Sunday is the earliest I can try it.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 AM   #14

Maranatha, On my unit, I have a 2013 rockwood a122, The champion generator will not run the cool cat. It will run the microwave, but thats about it. Had I known that the Yamaha 2000 would have run the ac I would of paid the extra $$$ for ir.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #15

Cleancut,
Hmmm... If a Yamaha 2,000 will run it, I'm thinking a Champion 2,000 should run it. This may be a YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) type of thing. Let's see who else will chime in here with there generator experience/opinions.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #16

I have the a122 and a honda 2000 runs the cool cat just fine.
dansa122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #17

Dansa122..... Welcome to the Forum. Even though the ratings are the same I think that the Yamaha and the Honda have more power. We should know Saturday or soon there after how Hammick made out with his.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #18

honda, yamaha or kipor ...
all three will run the heat exchanger on cool ..

d-mo
Old 07-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #19

I have the 10,000 A/C and a yamaha 2000 watt gen. The gen will start the a/c at my house which is 1,500 feet elevation. It struggles but it does start it. Once it is running, it's fine. All the load is right when you fire up the a/c initially.

have not tried this in the mountains, I am guessing because the gen is not as efficient at high elevation, it may not work.
maniac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #20

Well I found out today from Forest River that the deck on the front is only rated for 650lbs. My ATV weighs 850lbs dry. Also they told me I should expect that 90% of the weight of the ATV would be transferred to the hitch. I think my Cherokee will be outgunned even with a good WDH. Back to the drawing board for us. I will have the generator probably tomorrow so if anyone is in Kansas City with a Cool Cat drop me a PM and we can test it with my generator.