Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #1

Hardside newbie with questions

Good day all from Halifax N.S. I just purchased a one year old hardside with a small deck on the front. It's my first RV and so far I love it. I intend to use it off-road a bit. Any opinions, pics, or part numbers for the following mods would be appreciated!

Lift kit, I read somewhere the torsion bar axle is good for 8"

15" tires

reinforcing the rear bumper and relocating batteries and propane

regards,

bob
68Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #2

Welcome to the group
64c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Triumph View Post
Greinforcing the rear bumper and relocating batteries and propane

bob
Welcome to the forum, Bob.

As far as the rear bumper, there is not really enough structure there to reinforce. I won't even stand on the bumper supports for fear they will collapse. Pretty much any bumper mods you do will have to be welded back under the trailer into the frame. And I would think again about the safety of putting a propane tank at the rear of the trailer. It seems to me that the battery could be moved, but for what purpose, unless the tongue weight is too much for your TV. You might find it cheaper to switch to an AGM battery that can be mounted in the interior rather than a fabricate bumper support.

The Forest River campers seem to have a good balance, but certainly double check that you can maintain in excess of 10% of the GVW on the tongue after any mods.

If you put the trailer model number and tow vehicle specs in your sig line, people can give more specific advice. Use this link.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...=editsignature

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #4

A very nice guy from Robert Sales send me some pics of the in-house lift kit mod they do. The factory lift kit is only good for 2". Send me a PM if anyone would like the pics. My 4runner is good for 500lbs. I wanted to expand the grate on the front of the campers slightly and haul a lighter motorcycle on it. Any suggestions on how this could be done.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #5

Unless the bike is 200lbs I think you might have an issue with tongue weight as a percentage of total weight and what your 4runner is capable of handling.....

Not sure what lift kit your talking about but I don't see how it would impact towing capacity.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
Unless the bike is 200lbs I think you might have an issue with tongue weight as a percentage of total weight and what your 4runner is capable of handling.....

Not sure what lift kit your talking about but I don't see how it would impact towing capacity.
Thanks for the reply!

That's why I wanted to move the batteries and propane to the rear bumper. The bike I had in mind was around 400lbs.

Tags