Old 01-30-2016, 07:48 AM   #11

We want to purchase an a213hw. Our concern is it will be more difficult to tow than our current 2014 a122 and we will suffer at the gas pump.

Any ideas? Thanks

Old 01-30-2016, 08:08 AM   #12

New A213HW

Rockee: we did exactly what you are considering. No appreciable difference except the new one is too long to store in our garage.

Kdot

kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:21 AM   #13

Thanks!
That seals the deal. We just love the a213hw.
What do you tow your camper with and any disappointments with the a213?
We really appreciate your response.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:57 AM   #14

New A213HW

Rockee, we tow it with a Ford F150 with the 3.6 ecoboost engine. This is gross overkill, but the truck was what we used to tow our 5th wheel, before we got tired of "driving a semi" and went to the A122S. As the truck only had about 16,000 miles on it, it made absolutely no sense to trade it. Plus, we like to take lots of "stuff" with us when we go, and that 6 -1/2 ft truck bed provides lots of space. Towing, we've had as little as 14.2 mpg and as much as 18 (compared to the 8 - 9.2 towing the 5th wheel). We bought the A122S with the mutual understanding that, if we liked it, we would up-grade to the 213HW. The short story is that we liked it a lot and found the increased space, greater storage area, larger refrigerator, and built-in potty to be just what we wanted. In addition, my wife was getting a back ache from bending over the galley counter when making meals and washing dishes. The A213's higher counter top has taken care of that as well. Our's has the two bunks on each side of the aft end of the trailer (with the connecting cushion that turns them into a "king" size bed. We prefer the two bunks. In the 122, we seldom used the dinette and kept it configured into a bed. I should add that, when we bought the 122, we also bought the screen room that attaches to it and effectively doubles the living space. When we up-graded to the 213, we were going to sell the screen room until we discovered that it could also be used with the 213 (with some tailoring of the mesh screen that closes off the screen room from the open space under the trailer.

As for things we don't like or problems with the trailer, we bought it late in the season and only made a couple of trips in the HW before laying it up for the winter. One thing we did discover, and you might want to watch out for: Forest River strung a common water hose diagonally across the underside of the camper to supply water to the toilet. I discovered this when I noticed a leak under the camper when it was in my driveway. When I got underneath, I discovered that hose just sort of draped across the trailer bottom. When it neared the toilet end of it, the guy who installed it routed it through a hole in the frame and up to the toilet, putting a sharp bend in the hose that backed up the water, causing a bubble to form in the hose that had begun to leak. Propriety prevents me from telling you what I said when I discovered this stupid arrangement. I didn't want to completely replace the entire hose, so I cut out the damaged segment, installed hose joints at each cut end and replaced the cut out segment with new hose clamped tight. Then I re-routed the thing and used plastic ties to secure the hose to the trailer at several points so that it no longer hung down free. The way it came to me from the factory, it could have been snagged and torn loose, which would really have been a problem.

Other than that hose glitch, we like the trailer and look forward to a lot of years camping in it. Hope this helps.

Kent
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #15

Once again Thanks!
That was very much appreciated. We will be looking for the 213 now.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #16

We love our 214 and how spacious it is. The fact that the bed is a true queen size bed is nice and I placed a 3 inch memory foam on top of the mattress makes it even more comfy. The tow weight is just a little more than the shorter AFrames but not by much. We noticed that it is definitely taller though at the peaks than the others I guess because of the length. But we are still happy with our camper.

2016 Rockwood A214HW A-Frame,
towing with 2014 Ford F-150 eco boost
Old 01-31-2016, 12:41 PM   #17

We just bought a 2016 Flagstaff T19QBHW. Fits in the garage with no problem. The power lift assist however went out on our first time out. The camper is beautiful and it's under warranty.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #18
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Girl View Post
We just bought a 2016 Flagstaff T19QBHW. Fits in the garage with no problem. The power lift assist however went out on our first time out. The camper is beautiful and it's under warranty.
This seems to be pretty common. We bought an A213HW last week. The dealer just called and said the roof actuator failed during dealer prep. At least we didn't get it all the way home and find out. Or much worse all the way to the Fla Keys.

Hopefully the replacements they are using last a little longer.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
This seems to be pretty common. We bought an A213HW last week. The dealer just called and said the roof actuator failed during dealer prep. At least we didn't get it all the way home and find out. Or much worse all the way to the Fla Keys.

Hopefully the replacements they are using last a little longer.

So far our A214HW actuator is still working. We've raised it several times (probably 4-5 times) since we bought it back in Oct 2015. I'm hoping this won't the case for us but who knows. We shall see.

2016 Rockwood A214HW A-Frame,
towing with 2014 Ford F-150 eco boost
Old 02-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #20

Now that you mentioned the dealer prep...when we did our walk through it seemed like it was coming down very slow. We were also heading to FL and had to postpone by one day leaving because, we had to figure out how to put the top down manually. We have learned a lot with this purchase as far as a dealership/ customer service goes...Buy from your local dealer!!!

Tags
a-frame, frame