Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

Headed to Florida again in the A122! Need suggestions on where to camp.

Hey guys, its been a while, hope you are all doin well. Thanks for the help last year, had a wonderful trip down to Florida from here on Cape Cod. Getting the A122 ready for another trip after Christmas for a couple months!

Last year, I took rt 81 down and hit the panhandle state parks in FL. first, Henderson Beach, St. Andrews, St. Joe's, Ochlockonee, Manatee Springs, then down to Homosassa, then Trimble Park in the Mt. Dora area, and Myrtle Beach on the way home, 6 weeks of heaven !

Gonna bring my 12' aluminum boat this year on my new truck rack to do some fishing, two weeks of which will be at Trimble park with friends in February.

Other than those two weeks, not sure where I am goin yet, gonna make reservations this week!...Myrtle beach for a few days, definitely, either on the way down, or back, i love that place, so much to do!.

Looking for suggestions on where to camp in Florida the rest of the time. Loved the state parks in the pan handle, so pristine and beautiful, so, might hit some of them again, even though it was a bit chilly last year! Also thinking of going further south where its warmer, would love to see Key West, never been, too late to get reservations there now ?

Ideas ? Thanks!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #2

Campgrounds in Florida

We also have an A122 and spent a few days last month at Silver Springs State Park in the Ocala area. Boat launch is nearby on the beautiful and crystal clear Silver River. The Ocala National Forest is 15 minutes down the road. Just 15 minutes from I-75 and maybe a little over an hour from I-95.

Camp sites are very large, clean and quiet (shade too). Welcome to Florida State Parks

Another great park with a boat ramp in Jonathan Dickinson State Park in Martin County. It's a large park with many activities. River Campground is the one you want. The other is noisy and unshaded. More for the big rigs. Fifteen minutes from I-95 and Florida's Turnpike.

Welcome to Florida State Parks

Good Luck
Manypalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #3

Lucky Dog! Have fun!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manypalms View Post
We also have an A122 and spent a few days last month at Silver Springs State Park in the Ocala area. Boat launch is nearby on the beautiful and crystal clear Silver River. The Ocala National Forest is 15 minutes down the road. Just 15 minutes from I-75 and maybe a little over an hour from I-95.

Camp sites are very large, clean and quiet (shade too). Welcome to Florida State Parks

Another great park with a boat ramp in Jonathan Dickinson State Park in Martin County. It's a large park with many activities. River Campground is the one you want. The other is noisy and unshaded. More for the big rigs. Fifteen minutes from I-95 and Florida's Turnpike.

Welcome to Florida State Parks

Good Luck
Thanks for the heads up on those two parks, will check them out!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Lucky Dog! Have fun!
haha, yes, very lucky indeed.

Pretty excited today, moved my doctor's appointments so I'm clear for Jan and Feb, and washed the A122 and opened her up ! She weathered pretty well since i used her last March ! SHoulda covered it, took me a while to wash off the stains on the top, but, she cleaned up well. Inside, there were a few dead bugs, but, no signs of mice, always a plus, and very little mildew......took a peek underneath and saw what i thought were two ground wires dangling, one white and one green. I think the screw attaching them to the frame rusted off, will be an easy fix. (lets hope.)
Tomorrow, i will test the propane heater and burner, and all the electrical stuff......Not gonna put any water in it at all til I get south.

BTW, does anyone know if i should have the wheels bearings checked before I go? I mean, I probably put 3500 miles on it last winter , thats it.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #6

yep .. do the bearings ... pop off the centre black cap ...remove the rubber thingy that covers your grease fitting and top off the bearings ...
Every year we do this .. and sometimes twice .. as we put alot of miles on the trailer in the summer ...

d-mo
Old 11-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
yep .. do the bearings ... pop off the centre black cap ...remove the rubber thingy that covers your grease fitting and top off the bearings ...
Every year we do this .. and sometimes twice .. as we put alot of miles on the trailer in the summer ...

d-mo
Hey D-Mo, good to hear from you again, I remember you from last year !

Ok, I have a grease gun, will check my manuals for what type of grease, thanks!

BTW, any other maintenance things I should do before I leave for my trip. I put on maybe 4000 miles on my Florida trip last year, and it sat in my yard since.

Oh, I did take a quick peek underneath yesterday and noticed two wires hanging, white and green i believe, looks like they were grounded to the frame and the small screw head rusted off. (kinda under where the water heater and other stuff is) Guess i just drill out the old rusted screw and replace it. What do i use, self tapping stainless?

Thanks !
Old 11-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Mostly Harmless

It's been awhile since I looked under mine, but I think I remember the white and green wires being the ones that connect the left and right brake sets. On our Alaska trip last year some road hazard severed those wires, so the only brakes I had were on the left wheel (which was where the brake wires from the tow vehicle were routed). If I'm remembering right, the white and green wires carried the brake current across to the right wheel. Grounding them would be bad.

Maybe I remember it all wrong, though. Just check your brake wiring first. You don't want to ground your trailer brake's hot wire.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
It's been awhile since I looked under mine, but I think I remember the white and green wires being the ones that connect the left and right brake sets. On our Alaska trip last year some road hazard severed those wires, so the only brakes I had were on the left wheel (which was where the brake wires from the tow vehicle were routed). If I'm remembering right, the white and green wires carried the brake current across to the right wheel. Grounding them would be bad.

Maybe I remember it all wrong, though. Just check your brake wiring first. You don't want to ground your trailer brake's hot wire.
Ok, but, these two wires are nowhere's near the tires, they are way up front, and only a few inches from a rusted off screw head in the frame. Also, the wires are only about few inches long where they come from a hole in the floor of the camper, directly under the box with the water heater, propane heater and electrical control box thingie. haha

The two wires to the brakes are blue and white, and seen intact.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
10x

You can't go wrong with Florida state parks, I ditto Silver River SP too.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
You can't go wrong with Florida state parks, I ditto Silver River SP too.
Can i put my 12' aluminum boat in at Silver River ?
Old 11-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #12

Ok, trying to plan my trip.

Leaving right after CHristmas, and spending Feb. 1-14 - ish at Trimble Park in Mt. Dora for sure.

So, thinking of a couple scenarios at the moment for where to go/stay before then, for the end of december after christmas and January.

1. Myrtle Beach on the way down for a couple days, cuz i love that place, even though its not warm that time of year, its warmer than Mass., theres lots of stuff to do, and the buffets are great

Then 95s til just north of Jacksonville where I'll take 301 south, cuz I hate trailering through Jacksonville and I hear 301 is a nice road.

In Ocala, stay at Silver Springs SP, then down to Myakka River SP near Sarasota. Then Collier Seminole SP south of Naples, then the Tamani Trail to Big Cypress and stay at a campground or two there. Then to Everglades NP and stay at the campground in Flamingo. Then to Key West for a few days, never been and Leo's still has openings as of today.

Then back up to Trimble to fish with my friends.

that's one possible route........but, never done Silver Springs, Myakka River, Big Cypress, or Leo's in Key West, so input on them, as well as that whole route, is welcome !

oh, I have camped at Flamingo in Everglade NP before, back in the early nineties and liked it.

The other possible scenario is maybe Myrtle Beach , maybe not, but maybe, then, do the route I enjoyed last year........the Panhandle state parks from like Destin down to Apalacicola.......maybe a couple of the parks i did last year and a couple new ones.......last year i did Henderson sp in destin, then st. andrews in panama city beach, st joes and ochlocknee. Maybe Grayton Beach, Topsail Beach.....then head down the west coast again , homosassa is nice, would consider goin back there again. Then I dunno.

I should have my 12' aluminum boat, and like to fish a little, so thats a consideration, although, i don't need to fish at every campground, ha.....I do like my buffets and walmarts too.......and scenario two might be too "back to nature" for me.............decisions decisions

all comments/suggestions welcome ~!~~
Old 11-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsip View Post
Can i put my 12' aluminum boat in at Silver River ?
Yes you can, there is a canoe & kayak ramp there. You have to walk about a 1/4 mile to get there. A lot of folks have those wheeled cart things to bring there canoes, kayaks and small boats. There is also a boat ramp outside the park you can put in at. We rent canoes from the state park, they are inexpensive to rent. The river is beautiful and crystal clear. It is the same river they run run the glass bottom boats on. There are also monkeys in the forest. They supposedly got loose when they filmed the old Tarzan movies over there. There is also a Cracker village within the park. We go to silver quite often, only 2 hrs from home. I think you will like it.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes you can, there is a canoe & kayak ramp there. You have to walk about a 1/4 mile to get there. A lot of folks have those wheeled cart things to bring there canoes, kayaks and small boats. There is also a boat ramp outside the park you can put in at. We rent canoes from the state park, they are inexpensive to rent. The river is beautiful and crystal clear. It is the same river they run run the glass bottom boats on. There are also monkeys in the forest. They supposedly got loose when they filmed the old Tarzan movies over there. There is also a Cracker village within the park. We go to silver quite often, only 2 hrs from home. I think you will like it.
Sounds beautiful! Well, the aluminum boat is like 100-150 lbs, and i use either an electric motor or a 5hp engine on it, depending on where I am fishing/going.......so, I wouldn't be draggin it 1/4 mile anywhere, lol, but, the boat ramp outside the park sounds good, if electric and/or outboard motors are allowed ?
Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
10x

Quote:
Sounds beautiful! Well, the aluminum boat is like 100-150 lbs, and i use either an electric motor or a 5hp engine on it, depending on where I am fishing/going.......so, I wouldn't be draggin it 1/4 mile anywhere, lol, but, the boat ramp outside the park sounds good, if electric and/or outboard motors are allowed ?
Both are allowed, here is a small video of the river.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #16
Berkshire 390QS

Myakka River SP is nice, bike riding etc.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Looks lovely ~! Can't believe all those monkeys ~~~!! ahaha

Thanks so much, and yes, I think i will love it also ~!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Myakka River SP is nice, bike riding etc.
Great, I will have my bike with me, its my excuse for all those florida buffets I will be enjoying........)
Old 11-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
10x

Here is a good place I have eaten at.
index
Old 11-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #20

Florida

We have spent the better part of the day looking for a campsite during Christmas and New Years, so far, we are out in the cold, got any ideas?
kickster

Quote:
Hey guys, its been a while, hope you are all doin well. Thanks for the help last year, had a wonderful trip down to Florida from here on Cape Cod. Getting the A122 ready for another trip after Christmas for a couple months!

Last year, I took rt 81 down and hit the panhandle state parks in FL. first, Henderson Beach, St. Andrews, St. Joe's, Ochlockonee, Manatee Springs, then down to Homosassa, then Trimble Park in the Mt. Dora area, and Myrtle Beach on the way home, 6 weeks of heaven !

Gonna bring my 12' aluminum boat this year on my new truck rack to do some fishing, two weeks of which will be at Trimble park with friends in February.

Other than those two weeks, not sure where I am goin yet, gonna make reservations this week!...Myrtle beach for a few days, definitely, either on the way down, or back, i love that place, so much to do!.

Looking for suggestions on where to camp in Florida the rest of the time. Loved the state parks in the pan handle, so pristine and beautiful, so, might hit some of them again, even though it was a bit chilly last year! Also thinking of going further south where its warmer, would love to see Key West, never been, too late to get reservations there now ?

Ideas ? Thanks!
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122