Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #1

Smile Hey All! New RVer here!!!

Hey RVers!

I just bought my very first RV! I know it's just an A-Frame pop up camper, but I'm proud of it!

I've never done the RV thing, but have always been an outdoorsman and love to camp. Not a hunter though, not a huge fan of killing things.

Recently I relocated from Calgary for a job offer just North of Toronto. Currently I live in Kettleby, which is a small town just North of the City.

Looking forward to talking with all you!! and learning some great new spots!

The pic is of my exact Camper. Not mine, haven't had a good day to take the pics yet, but that's my baby! Got it for $3995.00 in Owen Sound. Was that a relatively good deal? I know it's older, but it sleeps myself and my fiancee rather well.

alittle121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum! Should there be a photo?
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #3

huh? thats weird...

Yea you're right, I uploaded the pic of the A-Frame I just bought, but it's not there.....
Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Mostly Harmless

It may be that picture uploads don't go through for brand-new members; if it still won't work after you've posted 5 or 6 posts, let the moderators know. There might also be a thread about posting photos on one of the other FR forums. I post from an iPad/iPhone app so I'm not familiar with posting photos via desktop or laptops.

Meanwhile, know that we're very happy to have you aboard. There are lots of helpful people here so ask anything. One of our members (ko777) lives right in Toronto so you two could meet to problem-solve if its ever needed.

The price you paid is fabulous. My 2011 model was over $10K US when I got it. You didn't buy it after dark from a guy in an alley, did you? ;-)
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Flagstaff 22FBS

Try your pic again! We love visuals.

Welcome to the "A Frame Campers" forum, where Aframe owners hang out. You've come to the right place, we love 'em.

Occasionally owners of other types of RVs read our posts and share their experiences as well. Lots of helpful folks to make you feel at home.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #6

Welcome! tons of nice folks, ask a question get great input from many points of view, excellent place to hang out and hopefully add to the discussions
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #7

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #8

Welcome and Congrats on the new camper.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #9

Hey Guys and Gals,

I just tried to upload the pic again 3 times but it keeps saying Failed to Upload. I'm not hugely tech savvy so I'm not quite sure lol.

On a sadder note, does anyone know how to deal with Mice in an RV? I did and inspection last night (just can't stay out of it haha), but found mouse dropping and chewed up carboard and the baseboard around the cabinetry. It wasn't there about a month ago.

I also checked the undercarriage and there seems to be a bit of damage so some of the wiring. As I am no mechanic I do not know what these wires are doing, but I'm pretty sure they're electrical and not brake lines or anything.

This is my baby and I just got it! Someone help!

-Aaron
Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
Mostly Harmless

I've not tried this but someone here posted that cotton balls soaked with oil of peppermint and spaced around inside the camper will discourage mice.

It doesn't seem likely that exposed wiring under the trailer would be anything other than brake or taillight wires. Higher voltage wires should be routed inside the unit. On my camper the wires that run along the axle from one wheel to the other (brake wiring) got severed last summer; maybe something like that's what you're seeing? (Sheer blind guessing here.) What brand is your camper? Three different companies make four different brands of Aframes.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #11

Gasp!

"JUST" a little A Frame?! ;-)

You have now joined a small tight knit group of elite trailer owners! Be proud when you share the news! They are in a class of their own. Ive owned motorhomes and tradtional travel trailers and still have a pop up truck camper and of all - my A-Frame is the favorite!

Welcome to the group - You're bound to glean tons of helpful hints and ideas as well as online cameraderie thru this wonderful Forum. Im glad you found your way here!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
Flagstaff 22FBS

Here is a thread that might be useful. The very last post (on page 3) is step by step with pics of what you should be seeing:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ums-25660.html

Then we can view your album and see your new camper. There is a limit of 100 photos.

Most of us use photobucket.com, or a similar (free) website account, for including pics in our posts.

hth,
Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #13

As far as the wiring, I can say that when I picked up my camper, I had wires on the underside hanging loose all over. Apon further inspection it was just wiring that really wasn't secured good enough. About 12 zip ties later, all was good.
Mice, they are a troublesome little little critter. Because I have a dog and Grandkids going camping with us, I do not use poison fearing the worst. I do not use mouse traps either. I have found that sticky boards work very well. I check them on a weekly basis so that odors don't get too out of hand plus it gives the Grandkids some excitement when they see them.Best advice here, when it gets cold, them critters look for some place warm. Remove anything that might attract them. I remove everything in my camper in the Fall so there is nothing for them to eat or make a bed out of. Is a pain when you want to go Winter camping but I then think of the alturnative and removing everything is good with me.
Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #14

Im kinda with hamguy on this one .. 3995 is very cheap of an A122 ...
send us some pics ..

d-mo
Old 12-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #15
Site Team

Hello,

Congrats on your new-to-you A122!

The picture might had been too large and needs resizing. Sometimes my pictures will not load correctly - just one of those computer issues. Usually it will end up working out when I try again later on.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #16

Unhappy Help! I Think I have Mice!!

Can anyone tell me how to prevent mice in my A-Frame? I was doing a winter inspection last night and found droppings and chewed up cardboard and other things in the cabinetry. I took a look at the undercarriage and it looks to have some damage as well. This is my baby and I just bought it! A friend told me about how to get rid of mice in my RV. Mouse free was the company he suggested. Has anyone tried this company? Someone Help!!

-Aaron
Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #17

I am heading over to my A122 tomorrow to see how things look. We got a mouse in our house. The exterminator used some baits in little black boxes. He said the mouse likes the taste, eats them, then develops a massive thirst. He goes outside to drink, then dies. He gave me an extra set for the camper. They say Bounce dryer sheets and peppermint keep them away. The RV place where I bought my unit had told me in the summer they carry some stuff. They are too far away to go over there. Maybe your dealer is closer.

Since you see signs of them, I would try dryer sheets, peppermint (if you can find it) and some kind of mouse killer from your hardware store. I'd try it all to protect your baby (mine too).
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #18

Indoors sticky traps work well....but recently had a clever mouse in the house that woild boldly race across the floor zoom under the chairs and disappear...this went on for a few nites....so finally decided to take drastic measures and use DCon bait in the box....we have sticky traps in the house for hobo spiders but they catch the occasional mouse...we also ha e snap traps strategically placed (mice ignore) and also have ultrasonic mouse/insect repellants plugged on the outlet which I wonder if they die after a certain time (ours are 5 yrs old+) anyway, the DCon is truly our most effective mouse deterrant to those unlucky enough to think they can stop over at our house for any length of time....
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #19

Mice will destroy your camper, get rid of them quickly! They will chew up upholstery, curtains and other fabrics. They will get inside walls and tear up the insulation, they chew wiring and plumbing, they urinate and defocate everywhere. Here is a link to diseases they transmit from the CDC.
CDC - Diseases directly transmitted by rodents - Rodents
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #20

Welcome aboard!

My wife and I are new ourselves.Good luck on your new adventures,and have fun!
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame