Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #1

High wind strut

I was looking at a vid on the a212hw & the guy was describing a high wind strut that came with the unit. The one i looked at didnt seem to have one, is anyone familiar with this?
He indicated that it protects the top from flopping during high winds.
AZ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #2

I use a Wind Cheeta
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #3

I have not seen one on an A Frame that came from the factory. Usually they are added afterwards by the owner. I also use a Wind Cheeta and have been very happy with it.
Maybe the person in the video is mistaking the assist struts that come on some newer A Frames. My 2017 213HW did not come with them but I'm seriously considering adding them for extra stability when opening and closing the roof panels.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #4

I would not worry about the wind to much. Last summer we were camping on a Lake Michigan beach and a storm blew in with 60 plus mph winds and of course it was nearing time to leave. I was worried about the roof catching wind since the back end was facing the wind and may cause the front section to catch the wind and cause big problems. So I tied a length of rope around the assist handle on the front roof section and had my son hold on just in case the wind caught it, I was surprised once I pushed up to release the panels the roof came down like normal
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #5

Was it maybe a used one he bought and the previous owner installed it?
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspencer View Post
Was it maybe a used one he bought and the previous owner installed it?
He was with the dealer and it was a 2017. Maybe someone bought it, upgraded it and then traded it in for a 2018.

Yes, I guess it could have been used.
AZ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Camper View Post
He was with the dealer and it was a 2017. Maybe someone bought it, upgraded it and then traded it in for a 2018.

Yes, I guess it could have been used.
Was just a thought, didn't realize it was such a new one. A 2017 could have been bought last part of 2016 I suppose.. it never fails that I buy something and a newer one of whatever it is months later looks more appealing, lol.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #8

It happens all the time, never fails.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:57 AM   #9

Post a link to the video, I would like to see it .
Old 10-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #10

Per request.
Its Cute but......
Old 10-23-2017, 07:54 AM   #11

That video is an aftermarket item on an a-liner not an item a new Forest River. Certainly not a strut . I think someone may have confused an lift assist strut with a wind kit .
Old 10-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #12

It seems highly unlikely you might need such a device (wind cheeta) on an A frame if you have the electric lift assist arm. When the assist arm is locked in place it keeps the bottom half locked in place to the top half. The sides are then locked in place by the lever handles. Can't imagine how that all could come down if the assist arm is locked in the up position. Now, if you don't have the assist arm, I could imagine a scenario that the wind might try to catch one of the halves and lift it, but the sides are still latched to it. It is still is hard to imagine even in that scenario it would come apart. Would be curious if it ever happened to a FR a frame (not an A-liner).
Old 10-29-2017, 11:22 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Wu
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcangler View Post
It seems highly unlikely you might need such a device (wind cheeta) on an A frame if you have the electric lift assist arm. When the assist arm is locked in place it keeps the bottom half locked in place to the top half. The sides are then locked in place by the lever handles. Can't imagine how that all could come down if the assist arm is locked in the up position. Now, if you don't have the assist arm, I could imagine a scenario that the wind might try to catch one of the halves and lift it, but the sides are still latched to it. It is still is hard to imagine even in that scenario it would come apart. Would be curious if it ever happened to a FR a frame (not an A-liner).
Curious too. Also all those people putting closet bars between the A-sides. Really can't see them blowing in when locked.
Doc Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:58 AM   #14

The blow in has been known to happen. Real danger. As for the electric lift don't have it, won't get it. Prefer gas assisted lifts on my four corners and my Wind Cheeta. To each his own, your camper your money.
Its Cute but......
Old 10-30-2017, 07:23 PM   #15

I have in several fierce thunderstorms in the Rockies, Black Hills, Utah, and on the Texas plains. Winds as high as 60mph. Never felt the slightest movement of the roof or side panels. Now I do try to avoid setting up/folding down in 25+ mph winds, but I have done it while it was blowing 30. The channels and the latch system lock together well on my 2014 A122. My wife loves the stability and security compared to our previous canvas wall pop-up.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer330 View Post
I would not worry about the wind to much. Last summer we were camping on a Lake Michigan beach and a storm blew in with 60 plus mph winds and of course it was nearing time to leave. I was worried about the roof catching wind since the back end was facing the wind and may cause the front section to catch the wind and cause big problems. So I tied a length of rope around the assist handle on the front roof section and had my son hold on just in case the wind caught it, I was surprised once I pushed up to release the panels the roof came down like normal
The wind Chetta guy was on this A-frame forum a few years ago aggressively promoting his gadget by raising the fear of damage from the same circumstances as you were in.

When challenged at that time, he was unable to produce any justification for the claim that a FR A-frame might actually fly apart. He had no estimate of what wind speeds were dangerous to a camper. Nor was he able to produce any information that his device had been tested to actually work as advertized. All reasonable questions that should have immediate answers from anyone aggressively promoting an invention by raising fears of significant damage or injury.

After his activity in the forum was reported, the promotional posts were removed as being against forum policy. In a subsequent post, he stated that the forum managers had warned him not to promote anything on the forum again and he essentially went back to selling on Facebook.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:40 PM   #17

The very first time I ran the roof up we almost lost it.
The wind was blowing 20ish about half way up we got about a 40+ gust and caught the roof and it started to rise. I grabbed the handle on the side of rear section just in time.
Once the roof locked in place I had to wrestle the sides up. I forgot to put down the stabilizers but had not unhooked from the truck yet.
The wind continued to roar for three days but the first night was awful. Several times I just knew the camper was going to blow over but thankfully it didn’t but it DID some serious rocking on the axle.
I figure a rope tied to the frame up by the propane then passed over the top and around the rear bumper and allowed to run with just enough tension to keep the roof from rising would work.
Have fun, stay safe.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #18

Does anyone know what the bolt on the roof on the driver side that goes into hole on wall. I think that is to keep the roof from lifting in winds.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
Does anyone know what the bolt on the roof on the driver side that goes into hole on wall. I think that is to keep the roof from lifting in winds.
The bolt is just an alignment pin, if it isn't in the hole the sides won't lock in place properly. This is why its important to level the camper and put the stabilizers down before raising the roof and side walls. Once everything is locked in place the roof isn't going anywhere
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #20

x3 for pooniel....actually watched his video with the howling winds, as he showed a product test...claimed they where 50 mph winds...but if you look in the background of his video.....the trees where hardly moving....got a good giggle out of that.
got to love facebook...a sheetstorm of stupidity