Old 06-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #1

Hitch extension

I was looking for away to mount my bike rack and decided on a front hitch. After installing front hitch it needs an extension to receive the bike rack. While looking at extension I saw they have an extension with an auxiliary 2" receiver mounted on top for accessories such as a bike rack. Has anyone used one of these and does it effect the towing of the trailer due to the extension.
I would use the extension with auxiliary hitch on rear receiver.
Thanks

Old 06-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #2

Watch for reduction in tongue weight capacity

mudman,

I have one of the hitch-extender/double stack 2" adapters but have never used it. I do recall reading about the significant effect on your tongue weight capacity, where the additional length back to the ball exerts far more leverage than a more standard-length drawbar, and that leverage has the same effect as actual tongue weight. If you're not close to tongue weight capacity to begin with, maybe the leverage factor from the extender and additional weight of the extender, the stacked receiver + bike rack + bikes is not a big deal. If you're already borderline, I think it could be "a bridge too far".

Surely there is a table of some sort which estimates the effect of longer drawbars (ie hitch extenders) on down-pressure at the ball. My extender/double stack adapter is HEAVY, probably on the order of 35-40 lbs, at least, and my 4-bike rack is heavy, too. I would not be surprised if the extender/stacker, bike rack, and bikes together reach over 175 lbs, maybe more. Add a leverage factor and it becomes a big deal.

Fox58

Rockwood A127TH.
Fox58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox58 View Post
mudman,

I have one of the hitch-extender/double stack 2" adapters but have never used it. I do recall reading about the significant effect on your tongue weight capacity, where the additional length back to the ball exerts far more leverage than a more standard-length drawbar, and that leverage has the same effect as actual tongue weight. If you're not close to tongue weight capacity to begin with, maybe the leverage factor from the extender and additional weight of the extender, the stacked receiver + bike rack + bikes is not a big deal. If you're already borderline, I think it could be "a bridge too far".

Surely there is a table of some sort which estimates the effect of longer drawbars (ie hitch extenders) on down-pressure at the ball. My extender/double stack adapter is HEAVY, probably on the order of 35-40 lbs, at least, and my 4-bike rack is heavy, too.

Fox58
Thanks for the reply. I'm towing 2300 lbs max plus gear with a Toyota Tundra rated for 10 k. So I'm pretty confident I won't overwork it. If I would have known the double stack was available I may have not installed the front hitch. Having said that I'm still happy with the front hitch because getting it into the side yard with a 2 wheel dolly took 2 people because of the grade. Now it will be a non issue.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:36 PM   #4

Most Hitch Mfg have (Charts) that tell (Ext Loss)! Contact your hitch Mfg. Youroo!!
Old 06-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

Love my front hitch

I don't know how I ever got along without my front hitch. It was a fair PITN to install (front bumper removal and OEM fog light removal required), but it's very handy.

I run a slightly extended drawbar (6-8" longer than standard?) just to get the 8" drop I need (and not have the "squared-off" drawbar), and for all 3 of the trailers I regularly tow (pop up and two utility trailers) I have to use safety chain extensions and wiring connection extensions. Aside from the little bit of extra leverage which I can feel with the 2,400 lb dry weight popup hitched up, even that little bit of extra length makes it somewhat more difficult to maneuver.

Fox58

Rockwood A127TH.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox58 View Post
I don't know how I ever got along without my front hitch. It was a fair PITN to install (front bumper removal and OEM fog light removal required), but it's very handy.

I run a slightly extended drawbar (6-8" longer than standard?) just to get the 8" drop I need (and not have the "squared-off" drawbar), and for all 3 of the trailers I regularly tow (pop up and two utility trailers) I have to use safety chain extensions and wiring connection extensions. Aside from the little bit of extra leverage which I can feel with the 2,400 lb dry weight popup hitched up, even that little bit of extra length makes it somewhat more difficult to maneuver.

Fox58
What's your tow vehicle?
Old 06-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #7

The old tractor

mudman,
I'm running a 2002 F350 diesel SRW, Crew Cab, longbed, 4WD, 4R100 automatic, towing package, camper package, mostly stock, 250,030 miles as of the oil and filter change tonight.

The OEM spacer blocks are 2" and I need a big drop to keep a trailer level.

The value of the front hitch is dramatized by the reality of the terrible turning radius and its effect on simply backing a trailer. I need lots of room to execute the simplest of maneuvers.

Fox58

Rockwood A127TH.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:57 PM   #8

Check.

Tags
hitch