Old 03-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #1
Homemade Awnings for A Frame

Are the 10x10 quick setup canopy's tall enough to cover the height of the door if placed on the side of the A frame so one can step under the canopy when stepping out of the trailer? Wonder has anyone made a homemade awning from tarp and tent poles? I came across a post of an A Liner owner that riveted a bent washer to the apex of the roof as an center anchor point and bungee corded the tarp end corners to the A liner frame then attached the outer ends of the tarp to tent poles. Looking for suggestions from other owners of A frames the awning they sell from Rockwood are a bit expensive. Thanks

Rockwood A214HW
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
I order a Phaq a que whatever awning. Didn't like the idea of drill holes and mounting it to the side of the A Frame. It cam equipped with velcro and I used it to to stick under the top rail. Used some 7 foot collapsible tent poles from Cabelas (steel cables not elastic. Mounted the pole holders to some 2 x 6 blocks left over from some construction. Drilled holes in the blocks, staked. Sets up easy and pretty sturdy in the wind. This year I will be changing the wooden blocks out for 1/2 x 6 steel plates. The others sat to high. With what I learned if I have to replace will pick up a light weight 10 x 10 tarp and use that (Spent to much on this one) but happy with the results. There are pictures on my FB page.

2014 FJ Cruiser
2014 T12 DDST
Its Cute but......
Total 87(2014) 58(2015) 72(2016)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
Retread Popup Owner
We use a 10' x 10' EZ Up. No, it is not tall enough to place it right in front of the door. We put it immediately to the left of the door. We secure it down with augers and cinch straps. If I back up far enough on the pad I can get three augers in, and the fourth cinch strap I secure to the step housing on the camper.

We had a freak storm roll through with 60 mph straight line winds. We didn't even have time to try to tear anything down before it hit. Quite a few awnings in the campground were lost to that 5 minute storm , but our EZ Up didn't budge from where we had it tied down.

I hope that helps.
2014 Flagstaff T12DDST A Frame
2015 Nissan Xterra
2015 Nissan Frontier

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
Here is my set up with tarp and a dining tent:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457123182.085083.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	101062
But I prefer this set up to extend my interior space when camping more than 2 nights:

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457123331.417985.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	101063
After several setups, I could put this up less than 30 mins now and break it down less than 10 mins.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
I got the official awning when I purchased my A122BH, but I've never even opened it. I was discouraged by the reports of it being tricky and time consuming, and I haven't actually been to a great campsite to set it up. The state parks here usually have you on a wide gravel pad, so I just haven't wanted to put it up. I might actually just sell it!

However, I have one of these Coleman 10x10 "instant" canopies: Robot Check

It's a bit small, and wouldn't be good right next to the camper, but I can put it up in a couple minutes by myself. I use it all the time and would recommend it!
2014 Rockwood A122BH
2014 Nissan Pathfinder
bensinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #6
I always use rubber binder at the corners.
It save your canvas and your trailer holding railing.
Heavy wind might be flip flop the canvas but it will not damage it.
Jonol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
I found a fairly new product at that opens up a world of creativity when wanting to do things with tarps. Check em' out and become a tarp artist!
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
Here is my tarp version.

I have finally devised a way to use any tarp as an awning that attaches to an A frame camper!

The first step is to add an anchor point to the top middle of the front of the A frame roof.
I used a standard 1/2" flat washer after bending it about 90 degrees.
I drilled 2 holes for 1/8" rivets(stainless with a 1/2" grip), applied a dab of sealer on the rivets, and riveted the flat washer to the A frame.

I tie the center grommet to the anchor washer just before raising up the A frame roof.
I used a 9 x 12 tarp from Walmart(online), as shown.

The poles are awning poles from Cabela's, with the center being a 9' and the corners being 8'.

It works great! A slight dripping will occur in the center where the anchor is, but if the corners are overlapped over the sides of the A frame roof, that dripping is minimized!

Happy camping!
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
Nice Job! I like that!

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Outdoorsman 5.7L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #10
Thanks for the posts. I've had this high on my mod list since we picked her up (feb).

For the last 20 years or so we have been truck camping. Cap on truck bed, mattress in truck bed and an endless series of canopies attached to the cap. The last few have been Kelty Shade Makers of sorts. Very wind tolerant.

So, I took to modifying one this morning and came up with this.

On the top it is attached to the handles you use to raise/lower. On the bottom I added a piece of angle aluminum with a hole drilled in to allow for the pole pin to attach. That is the only mod to camper. I took advantage of two existing screws to attach it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160309_123206.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	101465   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160309_123239.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	101466  

OYO is offline   Reply With Quote

awning, frame, a-frame