Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #1

Hot camper needs to keep cool

First time camper owner. Have brand new 2019 A213hw. DW and I purchased a new camper with dreams of going camping every other weekend. Our first trip was to our KY family farms. It was above 90 each day and the family gave us a spot in direct sunlight for most of the day. Inside the camper was like an oven. We had hooked up to house power and had ac blasting the whole time with no success except for after dark in cooling the camper. The last day was 98 degrees when I folded up the camper, before I started I put my hand in front of the blower and could have sworn in was blowing warm air.

I took it in for some other warranty issues and asked them to check ac as well. It tested fine by what tech said.

Second trip was at campground. Late booking and once again in the sun. First day it was in the mid 80s camper did fine. Second day. Back in mid 90s by lunchtime and camper was a little over 80 inside. Ac was blowing cool air but was losing to the big orange ball in the sky.

1st trip did not open roof vent. Tech suggested opening the vent a little and running fan to draw out the hot air. 2nd trip we gave that a try.

Am I expecting too much out of the cool cat or should it be able to cool the box down? Should we only go camping when we can find shade? We don't stay in the camper all day, but when it gets hot we would like to take a little shelter to cool down. It has actually been warmer in the camper then out.
What do you guys do to keep it cool? At this rate I may have to change my name to cool hand Luke. I see some of you guys and gals go to desert locations and I just don't get it. We would like to do the same.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_110447.jpeg
Views:	430
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	179478Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_213414.jpeg
Views:	417
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	179479
krasay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:20 PM   #2

Where is the A/C located and what size is it?
Old 07-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #3

In the A213hw it is under the twin bed by sink. I don't know the size but will see if my books have that detail.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #4

It is 10150 BTU
Old 07-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #5

Go to home depot and cover every window with this. Will make a huge difference.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...6025/100012574

My first
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #6

So it is low in the camper, correct?

If so and the A/C is working correctly and isn't undersized, I would use a box fan on low to circulated the air up from the bottom towards the top so the air is properly mixed. If all your cold air is staying near the bottom it will all run out very quickly and be replaced by warm air through the top every time you open the door.

Even if that is happening the A/C should be able to cool the complete interior if left unattended if all is working well and the unit is large enough.

Does the a/c run continuously, day and night or does it shut off once in a while?

Note: Just saw your reply on size.

That is almost the same size as mine (13k) and I can cool my ducted 26' TT to 75 degrees in the Florida sun. I don't think it's working efficiently or it's badly placed.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kho6658 View Post
Go to home depot and cover every window with this. Will make a huge difference.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...6025/100012574
And use this when parked in the sun only? DW has found some window film that blocks up to 90% of UV and heat from the sun. I thought about giving it a try.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #8

Lots of heat comes in the windows and Lots of us cover them. Make sure your A/C fan is set to AU (for auto). That seems to make the biggest difference. I found running the exhaust fan does help as well as a small floor fan to push the cool floor air upwards and circulate the air. Good luck looks like a nice unit. I have the 2017 T21TBHW without the dormer.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasay View Post
And use this when parked in the sun only? DW has found some window film that blocks up to 90% of UV and heat from the sun. I thought about giving it a try.
Yes I only use it when parked in spots that have no shade. I cut to the size of the windows and install using velcro. Quick to install and remove as needed. The window film will also work.

My first
Old 07-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #10

All these are good ideas! In addition: No cold air coming out of the AC could be a million things. But since your camper is new maybe it could be how you are operating it. If it's hot and I'm arriving in the afternoon I plug in and put the temp on the AC in the middle range and run the FAN on FULL blast. Humidity is our worst enemy and the evaporator coils get wet and freeze. Don't put the temp to full cold. Later on you can put the temp a little colder but never full cold. You'll get the hang of it once you do it a few times. If it freezes up, you'll have to wait until the coils melt and just put the FAN on to dry them. No AC.
MDHEBERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes I only use it when parked in spots that have no shade. I cut to the size of the windows and install using velcro. Quick to install and remove as needed. The window film will also work.
Sorry for being a little slow. Are you hanging this on the inside? The wife's solution is much more expensive. I just checked out the link she shared with me. [emoji4]
Old 07-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDHEBERT View Post
All these are good ideas! In addition: No cold air coming out of the AC could be a million things. But since your camper is new maybe it could be how you are operating it. If it's hot and I'm arriving in the afternoon I plug in and put the temp on the AC in the middle range and run the FAN on FULL blast. Humidity is our worst enemy and the evaporator coils get wet and freeze. Don't put the temp to full cold. Later on you can put the temp a little colder but never full cold. You'll get the hang of it once you do it a few times. If it freezes up, you'll have to wait until the coils melt and just put the FAN on to dry them. No AC.
You got me pegged. My brain said dang it's hot, better crank this up. AC wide open no extra fan first trip. Second trip we brought a small desktop fan and used the vent. We felt better and thought it was more circulation that was needed. Going to bring one of the tower fans next time. But we also figured out that those nice big windows was where most of the heat was coming in.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #13

If you cover the exterior of the windows it is better as it blocks the sun. Another thing might be that you were hooked up at a house circuit that might not have been quit enough amps for the A/C.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
So it is low in the camper, correct?

If so and the A/C is working correctly and isn't undersized, I would use a box fan on low to circulated the air up from the bottom towards the top so the air is properly mixed. If all your cold air is staying near the bottom it will all run out very quickly and be replaced by warm air through the top every time you open the door.

Even if that is happening the A/C should be able to cool the complete interior if left unattended if all is working well and the unit is large enough.

Does the a/c run continuously, day and night or does it shut off once in a while?

Note: Just saw your reply on size.

That is almost the same size as mine (13k) and I can cool my ducted 26' TT to 75 degrees in the Florida sun. I don't think it's working efficiently or it's badly placed.
Thanks. I have read some posts on the placement being poor and I would agree. I have seen some mods moving vents to help keep it cool.

During the two times that we camped and temp was above 90. It ran all day. But at night it would cool down and cut off and on as expected.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:24 PM   #15

Mine cools off my household electric and my Champion 3100 generator (and campgrounds as well) just fine. Sometimes it could just be a circulation problem.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #16

I've noticed when I've looked at A-frames with the low-mounted AC units, that the cool air discharge and the warm air intake are very close together. Seems like there would be a lot of short-circuiting of the air. Anything you can do to keep the two air streams separated would probably help.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #17

For those that have not seen this product. Here is what the DW wants https://ezsnapdirect.com/products . It is expensive says the man that just bought this nice camper.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasay View Post
Sorry for being a little slow. Are you hanging this on the inside? The wife's solution is much more expensive. I just checked out the link she shared with me. [emoji4]
Yes, the reflective wrap goes on the inside. Just like a car shade that you would put in your windshield, it reflects the sun and blocks the heat that would be coming thru the windows. I would try the reflective wrap first and if still not cooling down, go with the tint.

My first
Old 07-14-2018, 07:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Yes, the reflective wrap goes on the inside. Just like a car shade that you would put in your windshield, it reflects the sun and blocks the heat that would be coming thru the windows. I would try the reflective wrap first and if still not cooling down, go with the tint.
Thanks, I will check it out.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #20

Having the fan in Auto is a big difference maker. One trip to Texas, the Cool Cat didn't seem to be cooling like it normally did, and the fan was making a lot of noise. Found the fan was on Hi, not Au. Switched to Au, and the cooling was noticeably better and quieter.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 (just sold)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper