Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

How did they get in? re: stink bugs

We just returned from a camping trip and the campground was full of stink bugs. The campground said it was due to the unusually warm and humid days in October and the recent track of tropical storm Nate (through NC). The stink bugs were outside as well as inside the camper. I can live with outside but NOT inside. We had the door closed at all times, windows closed and A/C running. We studiously removed any that flew in when we opened/closed the door. We easily plucked out 30 or so a day/night from within the camper. How were they getting in? We have NEVER had bug issues in our 192HW. We have a fog bomb going off in the camper now that we are home. Seems all of our "holes" in the camper are filled with foam and sealed tight. My thought is possibly the roof overlap? Suggestions or comments or feedback?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #2

There are a lot more gaps than you realize in the aframes. I had a similar issue with some bugs at the beach.

At night with your camper setup have someone inside looking for light while someone shines light at various parts of the camper. Maybe put a fly trap near those areas?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #3

We have had the stink bug issue also. They were real heavy in VA and PA. We are a week away from there now and in Indiana. I'm still discovering them. I think they congregate on the slides and around the slide seals. When the slide come in they ride in on the slide. Just a theory...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #4

I watched them get around the door seal like it wasn’t there. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #5

A couple more places -

1. The ends of the roof interlock - stuff with a plastic bag inside.

2. Wherever the panel insulation is out of place or missing.

3. The top of the door, until if and when you secure the manual latch for a better seal.

Good luck!
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #6

They're impossible! I'd rather deal with mosquitoes!
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:37 AM   #7

Stink Bugs

I have an idea of where they come in...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171005_122526.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	154119  
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Days Camped 2016/2017/2018/2019: 98/106/109/73
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:45 AM   #8

I feel lucky. I'm in Nebraska and have only seen two bugs this fall on the side of the house. Looks like you have bad in the east.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:42 AM   #9

Yeah, it's been awesome. Turned the vent fan on and watched 30 of them fly out in pieces and parts. Before each trip, we run the vacuum cleaner around the entire camper and always get a dozen or so. Hmmm, I wonder if that's why DW calls it our "buggy."

Went in the house and vacuumed up over 200 of them (over 2 weeks).

DW filled the buggy with dryer sheets before our last trip. Don't know if it helped, but it sure smelled better than a squished BMSB.
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Days Camped 2016/2017/2018/2019: 98/106/109/73
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:09 AM   #10

We were staying at a camp ground that had a stink bug plague of biblical proportions. We were dispatching a few a day on the inside, but they were all over the outside, especially by the door, waiting to get in.

We switched campgrounds, for other reasons. When we got to the new campground and set up. We went inside and there were bugs everywhere. We must have killed 50-75 inside over the next few days. I guess they were in the slide seals and got in when we retracted the slides. A week after the move, we appear to be bug free.

I was catching them with napkins and crushing them, but a better way is to put some water in a solo cup with some dawn soap. Direct them into the cup and they drown because the dawn breaks the surface tension of the water so they can't float.

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
We have had the stink bug issue also. They were real heavy in VA and PA. We are a week away from there now and in Indiana. I'm still discovering them. I think they congregate on the slides and around the slide seals. When the slide come in they ride in on the slide. Just a theory...
X2 We have found they ride the slide in also. We bring the slides part way in and relocate them to the great outdoor. Our last trip we took about 15 off the slides.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #12

We were in TN 3 weeks ago and still get about 10 a day with the dust buster. Had to remove the fantastic vent grill a couple days ago for repair and about 30 of them had entered through gaps in the fan and were between the ceiling paneling and roof frame. Also This is the third time bring stink bugs home from TN and VA. There a gaps everywhere in the trailer - screen door, above refrig, window screens,roof fans
Now watching stink bugs getting tortured in the dust buster is better than a good bowel movement.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #13
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto rogue View Post
We were in TN 3 weeks ago and still get about 10 a day with the dust buster. Had to remove the fantastic vent grill a couple days ago for repair and about 30 of them had entered through gaps in the fan and were between the ceiling paneling and roof frame. Also This is the third time bring stink bugs home from TN and VA. There a gaps everywhere in the trailer - screen door, above refrig, window screens,roof fans
Now watching stink bugs getting tortured in the dust buster is better than a good bowel movement.
I like to turn the exhaust on high then open the lid so can hear them getting chopped up.

Don't forget your spare tire cover.

Having 5 years of experience: the best way to get rid of them (temporarily of course) is to fill a disposable cup half full of water and add copious amounts of dish soap (Dawn seems to work best). Gently pick them up one at a time and drop them in. They sink/die before they can release their fowl oder. After a few days the cup will start stinking. Repeat process.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #14

I have found that the stink bugs will make their way in through the refrigerator vent on the side of the trailer. They get attracted to the heat dispersion from the compressor. Once in, they are attracted to light. The gaps inside the walls are a great "crawl space". We were getting a lot of them when we were in New York State. I checked everything: roof vents, around the air conditioner, under the trailer, around the slide out seals... The slide outs may be a big factor in letting them in if it is not seating square. All it takes is a 1/8" gap... and they are in!!!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #15

Gone Buggy

First let me say that I am a very new member and read as many posts as possible to learn as much as I can.

When I read this thread all the way to the end and saw Gary’s solution I really had to ask a question. The water and Dawn in a solo cup sounds great. My question though is how did you direct them into the cup lol. I would love to have seen that.

Hope you didn’t take offense. Thanks to everyone for the help you provide to all new member.
Ken
KenFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFitz View Post
First let me say that I am a very new member and read as many posts as possible to learn as much as I can.

When I read this thread all the way to the end and saw Gary’s solution I really had to ask a question. The water and Dawn in a solo cup sounds great. My question though is how did you direct them into the cup lol. I would love to have seen that.

Hope you didn’t take offense. Thanks to everyone for the help you provide to all new member.
Ken

No offense.

If they're on the wall you can hold the cup underneath and take a stick or anything and rake them into the cup. You can use a piece of paper to slide under them to pick them up off the floor and then drop them into the cup.

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto rogue View Post
LOL
Old 10-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #18
OYO

My apologies to Gary, I did not see his cup/soap post.

His described technique is correct.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #19
Site Team

They can get through a crack that is less than an 1/8", so impossible to keep them out. A small portable handheld vac with a few drops of peppermint oil on a piece paper towel in it help to keep down the smell. Use of pesticides inside is not recommended as the dead stink bugs will attract other pests. Best to just suck them up and throw them out.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #20

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback!!!! Update: After we set off the "bomb", let it air out for the appropriate time, went in and found more dead suckers as well as 1 live sucker behind the window shade. REALLY? These devils are so evil. We removed the spare tire cover as suggested, found one! We sprayed behind the refrigerator vent (thanks for that suggestion!). We will do a total break down and vacuum up all of the dead ones in addition to deep cleaning the entire inside. WOW - who knew camping could be such hard work. That is in addition to doing at least 9 loads of laundry today to un-ick everything whether the clothes were clean or dirty. Not taking any chances. I have the heebie jeebies now. They say not to take firewood to other locations so you don't transport insects to other areas; shouldn't it be illegal for the stink bugs to hitchhike to our neck of the woods? Uggghhhh! I agree with other comments received, I'd have welcomed mosquitoes compared to these ancient looking devils. None found in the house so far, thank goodness. Note to self: Call ahead at campgrounds to find out if there is a SB problem. If so, don't go! Also, we have an A-frame so they aren't riding the slide in but I can sure see how that's possible.

Tags
bugs