Old 12-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
How do you A frame winter campers

keep the fresh water tank from freezing?

Or, maybe there are no winter campers in A frames.

mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
I do not use the water system when it cold. I have about 4 1gal jugs that I use for water. I have taken the trap out from under the sink (so no standing water is in the pipe ) so I can still use the sink with the jug water. I heat water on the stove when needed. If you are plugged in get a electric water kettle, they heat water in about 90 seconds.

Steve and Adele
2014 Flagstaff T12RBST
2005 Toyota 4runner 4x4
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
I've done early spring/late fall in Grand Teton and Yellowstone and spent 5 days - 3 of them all alone in the campground - the first week of this past December at Moraine CG in Rocky Mountain National Park. In each of these the nighttime temps have been in the low teens and down into the high single digits.
Not once have I had a problem with the water freezing up, surprisingly.
rwarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
A1 camper seems to have the ideal scenario ...
the quickest thing to freeze are the waterlines, as they are small and unprotected .. vs. the large 20 gallon or so jug which is ... well im sure you get it ...
being a bit of adventurer ... my buddies and i went out on a last of April first of May trout fishing trip in Algonquin park .. and sure enough we froze over ...
So .. no water ... except if you can drain like rwarrin has done .. and keep lots of water on hand inside, where the heat and temps good.
Electrical site is required .. but if out in the bush .. bring an extra deep cycle .. to help with the furnace ..
We find that the Aframe really holds heat .. as they are so air tight ... so ... with propane heaters inside it could be a very big issue . radiant propane heaters have set off out C02/propane alarm .. they were thrown in the campground recycle bin
if the worst case scenario persists ...use a Buddy heater but definately leave a window ajar.

enjoy .. late spring and early winter camping really is the best ..
2008 Nissan Frontier 4x4
2011 Rockwood A122
D-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
Not normally a problem in Texas at least this part. Even in Jan the weather is normally above freezing and when its not since I'm normally at a state park and have no water in the tank I just disconnect the shore water.
F-150 Lariat 2012 T12BH 2012
Camping RenFaire 42 days
Non RenFaire camping 34 days
RenFaire Camper is offline   Reply With Quote

camper, frame, winter, a-frame