Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #1

How do you get order status on camper??

I ordered my A212HW over 6 wks ago and was told at time of order that it will take 6-8 wks to build the camper and have it delivered to the dealer.
I plan on getting insurance and need to get a good timeframe, now, on delivery date.

I contacted the dealer and got a "it will be 8 weeks" answer with no indication they contacted anyone. They wouldn't tell me what stage the camper was at or even indicated they actually contacted Forest River. I contacted sales at Forest River and the guy said he was unable to give me a timeframe but usually are 8-10 wks out on production.

Are my requests unreasonable, considering, I'm out 2 wks before the 8 week window? Why wouldn't anyone be able to provide me the stage the camper is at? You would think the dealer is able to get online information on inventory status. Yes, they make thousands a week/month but every company like forest river has a backlog status, right?

Customer service is lacking, imo.
AZ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:12 PM   #2

When I bought my A122 in 2014, I was told that dealers were given an approximate date a couple of months out. But a specific unit would not be assigned until the week it is produced. That's what happened in my case.

With A-frames and pop-ups, dealers who buy and sell more than onesies and twosies get much faster delivery than dealers who focus on the TT and motor homes. A-frames and pop-ups are transported 3-6 to a truck. So it's much easier for all if a single dealer is taking the entire delivery.

Based on my knowledge of factory production, the detailed planning and assigning of RV production is usually only done a week in advance. The specific mix of models, options, special orders, and favored customers gets determined the week prior to production. At that time, a serial number with the correct options is assigned to a specific dealer.

Aircraft, where big deposits are the norm, are the exception, and a specific customer's place in the schedule is known months in advance. Aircraft producers also let you buy your way into an earlier schedule.

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
When I bought my A122 in 2014, I was told that dealers were given an approximate date a couple of months out. But a specific unit would not be assigned until the week it is produced. That's what happened in my case.

With A-frames and pop-ups, dealers who buy and sell more than onesies and twosies get much faster delivery than dealers who focus on the TT and motor homes. A-frames and pop-ups are transported 3-6 to a truck. So it's much easier for all if a single dealer is taking the entire delivery.

Based on my knowledge of factory production, the detailed planning and assigning of RV production is usually only done a week in advance. The specific mix of models, options, special orders, and favored customers gets determined the week prior to production. At that time, a serial number with the correct options is assigned to a specific dealer.

Aircraft, where big deposits are the norm, are the exception, and a specific customer's place in the schedule is known months in advance. Aircraft producers also let you buy your way into an earlier schedule.

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll just wait another week.....week 8.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

When we ordered ours mid November, ours was promised (by the sales rep) for mid January.

Even though we are missing out on several camping events down here in South Texas, we aren't holding our breath.

In the meanwhile we will enjoy the holidays.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #5

Our salesman was right on for the delivery date. We checked back as date approached and he was able to give us a exact date. We called our agent and got a quote the week before and called and started the insurance when we picked up our RV.
BTW our agent informed us we had liability coverage on it when it was hooked up to the truck.
RobnCari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

I called the dealership today to inquire about the mattress then asked about a delivery date. Still no firm date but we now have a VIN !

He also said there wasn't much snow on the ground. Yet.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobnCari View Post
Our salesman was right on for the delivery date. We checked back as date approached and he was able to give us a exact date. We called our agent and got a quote the week before and called and started the insurance when we picked up our RV.
BTW our agent informed us we had liability coverage on it when it was hooked up to the truck.
So, you think a week prior to the target date would be a good time to ask (this wk is wk 7)? Sent the salesman an email last week (wk 6 of 8) and no reply so I guess if he didn't reply, he's either needs training with customer service or he was too busy.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Remodeler View Post
I called the dealership today to inquire about the mattress then asked about a delivery date. Still no firm date but we now have a VIN !

He also said there wasn't much snow on the ground. Yet.
Mattress??
Old 12-05-2017, 11:18 PM   #9

I checked with my dealer, and he called me once it was scheduled. I had 2 weeks notice -- 1 week for production, 1 week for delivery.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:04 AM   #10
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

I was looking to find which particular mattress came with our new TT. A neighbor has a new 10 inch thick memory foam available for $75, and got to thinking if it were a good replacement for the typical foam matza RVs are known for. The salesman told me the Rockwood mattress is from Serta, so we are going to use our fairly new mattress topper from the old RV on top of the Serta, and skip buying the one from the neighbor. It also gave me an excuse to call the dealer for the first time since placing the order.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Camper View Post
So, you think a week prior to the target date would be a good time to ask (this wk is wk 7)? Sent the salesman an email last week (wk 6 of 8) and no reply so I guess if he didn't reply, he's either needs training with customer service or he was too busy.
Any time is a good time to get a quote. Nothing to be lost by asking earlier than later.
RobnCari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Remodeler View Post
I was looking to find which particular mattress came with our new TT. A neighbor has a new 10 inch thick memory foam available for $75, and got to thinking if it were a good replacement for the typical foam matza RVs are known for. The salesman told me the Rockwood mattress is from Serta, so we are going to use our fairly new mattress topper from the old RV on top of the Serta, and skip buying the one from the neighbor. It also gave me an excuse to call the dealer for the first time since placing the order.
It came with a Serta? Massive envy. We have the twin bed model, crappy cot mattresses and I am still trying to find something decent to either add to or replace them without it costing an arm and a leg.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspencer View Post
It came with a Serta? Massive envy. We have the twin bed model, crappy cot mattresses and I am still trying to find something decent to either add to or replace them without it costing an arm and a leg.

I know I’m in the A-Frame forum but would a custom cut foam mattress work? My in-laws have both comfortably slept on foam mattresses in our fifth wheel bunkhouse. I bought 4” “lux” foam from www.thefoamfactory.com - it was cut to the dimension of the bunks. I kept the old “mattresses” and threw them on top as a sort of pillow top. No one ever complained and they slept a good many number of nights on them.

Foam Factory is pretty inexpensive and has superb customer service (I’ve ordered from them 3x now for different things).

5 years later and my 13 yo daughter now sleeps fulltime on one of them.

My full review:
http://learntorv.com/foam-factory-foam-by-mail-review/

Tags
camper