Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #21

We're really hoping the local dealers have some aframes at the show next weekend so it's a non-issue. Currently, the only aframe on a local lot is a Jayco, and it won't fit in our garage (a "must have" for us).
Thanks for all the feedback. I didn't expect RV dealers to work differently from car dealers with regard to warranty work and such.
hshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
Being that a close friend is a PUP/A-frame dealer, I can tell you that you are incorrect. PUPs and A-frames are delivered by trailer and not towed out to dealership individually like TTs and 5ers
That's hardly good business then if your friend does that. A PUP/A-frame is perfectly able to be towed up individually, just like a TT, or if he insists on trailer delivery, it can't be that terribly difficult to coordinate a full shipment with truck bed campers or a couple rpods.. even it if puts the delivery out 4-6 weeks.

Quoting a customer an additional 2k over list price just smacks of them not wanting to deal with it, or pressuring the customer into an on lot purchase they can get full payment on immediately.

Just sayin...
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:09 AM   #23

It's not the dealer. I had a friend that pulled part time for the local dealer. He said he charges the same for a popup or a fifth wheel..and, yes, it was about $2000 where we are. That really bites into the profit margin of a less expensive trailer. When we bought our popup, we ran into this. The dealer told me it runs them just slightly more for a truckload of three or four units as it does to send a guy almost 1000 miles one way to pull a single back.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #24
Dazed & Confused

When my son bought his Rockwood pop-up he wanted a 12' box and the 'local' dealer only had 10' units. He was also given the $2000 dollar extra figure to special order one. In addition the dealer made essentially the same statement about the shipping cost of several units being only slightly more than shipping for one.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
That's hardly good business then if your friend does that. A PUP/A-frame is perfectly able to be towed up individually, just like a TT, or if he insists on trailer delivery, it can't be that terribly difficult to coordinate a full shipment with truck bed campers or a couple rpods.. even it if puts the delivery out 4-6 weeks.

Quoting a customer an additional 2k over list price just smacks of them not wanting to deal with it, or pressuring the customer into an on lot purchase they can get full payment on immediately.

Just sayin...
Yarome, with respect, why would you argue an element of the business that you are obviously unfamiliar with or understand dealer practice? It is not good business for any dealer of the "little campers" to order them one at a time and have them delivered that way unless they are local to the factory and transport themselves. Otherwise they don't because of the delivery costs. Transport costs vary by distance due to number of required rests the drivers must take, mileage, toll, and whether or not there is a return load. There is little to no mix-and-matching what's on a trailer too unless the particular lines are right next door.

I can give you factual numbers from three identical TTs from FR all delivered between Aug 1 and Sept 9, 2014 using the same transport company: $305 to PA dealer, $1069 to SC dealer, $1381 to Florida dealer. So, if a little camper dealer could pay that for a single unit or the same for several units, the dealer is going several units.

My entire point to the OP is to understand for the type of camper, the OP should expect to wait for a custom build till there's a shipment, or accept there will be a premium. The OP never said where he or she is free, but $2K delivery cost is not askew as you are trying to lead the OP.

Now that said, I fully agree that the dealer didn't want to fuss with a one-off, especially when they mentioned maybe in a spring shipment for the simple reason there was no enthusiasm to help the OP with a purchase. That says to me their primary camper sales aren't at all geared to the little campers. For a broad line dealer, there is just too little profit to be bothered with doing more than selling what they take in for standard inventory. Another dealer is definitely in order!

OP, good luck and happy camping!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
That's a load of bunk! Shipping costs for them wouldn't be any different than any other unit they have in stock and already calculated into the price. I would talk to a different salesperson, the owner, or just move on to a different dealer altogether.

Sounds like this one is trying to push you into an in stock purchase. For them, turn-over is key. If they won't give you what you want.. walk on, brother.

It sounds to me like the sales person was saying the unit would need to be special ordered and shipped by itself, instead of with a load of other campers on the trailer. That would only be the case if the dealer didn't stock pop ups or sell them in sufficient number that it gets regular, at least quarterly, shipments. If that is the case, then one shouldn't do business with them anyway because service will be just as problematic. Most likely it is the sales BS from a guy that doesn't want to be bothered selling popups when he has higher commission travel trailer on the lot.

So I agree with you. This is the time to talk to someone else.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #27
World Traveler Member

I live in California and I check a local site and gave them a chance to give me a better deal and they played the trick of lowering the price some and adding it back on with Options like propane tanks and battery. So I found another place 4 hours away who saved me $2800 off list and included everything. I did not consider ordering as the shipping cost was outrages to California. I am happy and I have had some problems and I fixed those my self.
abdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #28
World Traveler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshan View Post
I agree. We weren't impressed with either the salesman or the dealership. Unfortunately, they seem to be the only one in town that carries Rockwood pop ups/aframes :-(
I was not impressed with my local dealer either and opted to drive 4 hours to another high volume dealer and got my A frame for $3500 cheaper and yes I have done some repairs that could have been warrantied by the dealer but was cheaper to do my self than a two way drive to where I bought it.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #29

I had to special order my HW without ever seeing one. I bought it based on the brochure. I had to fully pay for it before I ever saw it.

I was unable to locate one within 1,000 miles of Boston.

Sometimes they are hard to find.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #30

Over the past eight years we've bought two new RVs. One was about 600 miles from home and the other nearly 1000 miles. But they were what we wanted. We seldom use franchised dealers to do warranty work now and have never had trouble getting the manufacturer approve an established service dealer to complete warranty work because most of them already have relationships with the manufacturers. We travel a lot anyway and so are often away from home when we need service and got tired of dealers telling us that because we didn't buy from them we'd be put at the back of the line and having Camping World spend lots of time accomplishing nothing productive.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote