Old 07-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #11

I think you are getting some non A frame answer.
I find, I can get 2 nights on my A frame (group 27 battery, they come with 1 group 24). and with 2 battery I can run 4 nights I run my battery one at a time. I have a 60 watt solar panel and it will keep up with my needs 24 7 if the sun shines.
If I move every 2 days and drive for at least 4 hours I am good for 4 more night.
I only run (set) the furnace at 57 Degrees. We camp. We have done about 50 nights so far this year. 75 percent of that was dry camping ( no hook-ups.)
I carry a generator but in 3 years I have never used it.

1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:14 PM   #12

If you plan on doing a great deal of dry camping in cold weather, you need to make a few mods. One option for heating is a catalytic heater. Lights and the water pump along will not be a problem for several days and the battery can be extended indefinitely a decent solar system.

Charging the battery is slow business and you will be running your TV for hours a day to keep the battery up. Most campgrounds consider idling the TV to be the equivalent of running a generator so it can't done at night.

One option I've read of people using is taking a second battery along and dropping it off at a service station during the day for charging. However true service statins are very few these days.

If you need serious power, for more than lighting and such, over a long period, the Honda 1000 style inverter generators or more powerful would be a good bet.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #13

What's the tow vehicle? I don't recommend it, but some TVs do have a constant 12V circuit to the trailer plug; my Silverado does. But like someone said, you certainly do not want to run down your TV's battery.

Again some vehicles can charge a trailer battery pretty fast if it is charged off jumper cables. (Last Oct. in a campground the guy next to me brought his trailer battery up to almost full in a little over an hour with jumper cables.

From personal experience with a popup, that has a lot more volume than an A-frame due to the beds going out of the front and back and a 12-foot box, I can run my heater at night for 4-5 days with the temps dropping to the low 20s on two series 27 deep cycle batteries. The heater in the A-frames and popups is not quite a large as those on 5th wheels and larger TTs.

Only thing that takes electrical is the fan, and yes it is a power hog, but it does not have to run constantly even when the temps drop down to the low 20s.

All my lighting is also LED, fridge is on propane, and water pump is very seldom used so basically, the only real drain is the heater.

I also carry a generator when on a trip longer then 4-days to charge the batteries just in case it was a short run from one location to another. And to charge the batteries from the Generator, I use a battery charger I plug into the gen and that does a faster charge than going through the trailer's converter.

Catalytic heaters work, but not good for around pets or maybe even small kids.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
What's the tow vehicle? I don't recommend it, but some TVs do have a constant 12V circuit to the trailer plug; my Silverado does. But like someone said, you certainly do not want to run down your TV's battery.
My tow vehicle is a 2016 GMC Terrain 6-cyl
Old 07-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
If you plan on doing a great deal of dry camping in cold weather, you need to make a few mods. One option for heating is a catalytic heater. Lights and the water pump along will not be a problem for several days and the battery can be extended indefinitely a decent solar system.
Thanks Pooniel,

What's the best way to get the propane to the heater?
Old 08-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimare57 View Post
Thanks Pooniel,

What's the best way to get the propane to the heater?

I don't have one of these because, well, we don't need it on the Gulf Coast where I do most of my camping. So I'll fall back to the old truism, follow label directions. I'm sure you can download the manual from Camco.

There is also the Mr. Heater, Buddy line heaters. They similar but are not true catalytic. They are rated for indoor use in Canada, but not by UL. Thus not rated for indoors in the US.

Either way, the heaters need to have outside air ventilation. Unlike a furnace.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #17

First time out with the first trailer the battery died the second night. May in Canada can be might frosty.

The other hog, as I found out this year, is the fridge. Two days then dead.

Solar is great, if you park in the middle of a desert. The sites we pick tend to be very treed and solar is a waste of time.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #18

I'm with A1Camper and f5Moab ....

Spent 4 days in Acadia in a popup with one group 27 battery and ran the heater each night (set at 62) with no issues. However, we used the lights (LEDs) and H2O pump sparingly and had the fridge on propane.

I did have an inverter generator just in case. I think we ran it one morning for a couple of hours when we were using the electric skillet and H2O.

Regarding TV charging the trailer battery: I agree that it will not charge sufficiently. Might have been my setup, but we stopped for 3-4 hours while traveling and I didn't unhook the camper and when we went to start the TV the battery was dead. Popup must have siphoned power from the TV battery.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #19
Viking

Send a message via AIM to asbrand Send a message via Yahoo to asbrand
I highly suggest the Mr. Buddy heaters. They are a great backup heat source.

I've used one for years tent camping (10x12 canvas tent, don't use them in a modern nylon tent).
-Az
asbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #20

I mite add, we never set the ice box to 12v so when we move all the current is going into the battery. When we move for a couple of hours the ice box is off or on propane.

1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery