Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #1

How Many Texas State Parks Have You Camped In?

Wife just found out yesterday that she has another massive tear in her rotator cuff and surgery coming up so I decided to make a quick trip to Brazos Bend State Park tomorrow for an over nighter. I need a break and the camper needs to be used. Can't talk the wife into going...way too hot for her.

I started thinking about all of the state parks in Texas and how I would love to camp at least once in each one of them one of these days. Never realized but as close as I can figure there are around 1185 state parks and state historical places in Texas.

So far I think I've camped in 4 Texas state parks...so I need to get busy.

How many state parks in Texas have you camped in and which were some of your favorites?

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
Haulin' Camp

I am also on a mission to visit all of the state parks in Texas. Here is my list so far:

Lake Livingston
Huntsville
Lake Somerville Birch Creek
Lake Somerville Nails Creek
Village Creek
Bastrop
Buescher
Texana
Galveston
Palmetto
McKinney Falls
Ink's Lake
Brazos Bend
Stephen F. Austin
Longhorn Cavern
Lyndon B. Johnson
Martin Dies
Battleship Texas
2 Dogs

KewlKamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about your wife's injury.

I too would like to spend time at all of these parks and historic sites. And I don't think it will take as long as you think. By my count there are 102 parks and historic sites operated by TPWD All Parks — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department and 20 historic sites operated by THC THC State Historic Sites | Texas Historical Commission and keep in mind not all of them have camping.

We have camped at about 75 of them so far, and haven't found one yet that we didn't like, but some favorites include (in alphabetical order) Balmorhea, Brazos Bend, Caprock Canyons, Daingerfield, Davis Mountains, Enchanted Rock, Garner, Huntsville, Inks Lake, Lost Maples, Palo Duro Canyon, and Tyler.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsa3 View Post
Wife just found out yesterday that she has another massive tear in her rotator cuff and surgery coming up so I decided to make a quick trip to Brazos Bend State Park tomorrow for an over nighter. I need a break and the camper needs to be used. Can't talk the wife into going...way too hot for her.

I started thinking about all of the state parks in Texas and how I would love to camp at least once in each one of them one of these days. Never realized but as close as I can figure there are around 1185 state parks and state historical places in Texas.

So far I think I've camped in 4 Texas state parks...so I need to get busy.

How many state parks in Texas have you camped in and which were some of your favorites?

David

Stupid calculator...how did it come up with 1185? I thought that was a lot but got busy and didn't double check. And I recounted how many I've camped at and it's 7 not 4. Not having a good day.

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #5

Sorry to hear about wife's injury - hope all goes well. Have been to Blanco, Bastrop, Buescher, Goliad, Choke Canyon, McKinney Falls, Lockhart, Pedernales Falls, Davis Mountains, and Palmetto. Favorite is Blanco which was pretty much destroyed on Memorial Day. Good news though...it will reopen the campground on August 1st although the north side of the river will remain closed for who knows how long.
2004 F-150 Supercrew 5.4L, 3.73 Diff.
pops p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #6

Don't forget to get the annual Texas State Parks Pass. Will save money on entrance fees and give you four discounted nights of camping (one per trip). Also discounts on merchandise and rental fees.
2004 F-150 Supercrew 5.4L, 3.73 Diff.
pops p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #7

Have only just begun:

Lake Whitney State Park - really did like it there until flooding concerns caused us to leave (Memorial Day Weekend floods)
Bonham State Park - really small-only 13 rv spaces and some a bit tight but really did like it
Lake Tawakoni State Park - one of our favorites
Eisenhower State Park - we tent camped here a lot in the last few years
Camped at lots more in the Big Bend area as a kid
The Vineyards in Grapevine--a COE property and a bit pricey but really liked all the activities and being within walking distance of the Gaylord. Downtown Grapevine is close and is fun anytime and there's a lot of different things going on there.

Sad thing is, Lake Whitney State Park and Eisenhower State Park are still closed due to flooding and damage as is the Vineyards which is still about 15+ underwater.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
Mega Member

I live in Huntsville, so that one is very easy, as is Livingston. Here is my list so far:

Lake Livingston
Huntsville
Lake Somerville Birch Creek
Lake Somerville Nails Creek

Village Creek

Brazos Bend
Mother Neff (1st State Park)
Bastrop
Mission Tejas
Texas Railroad SP
Buescher
Palo Duro
Galveston
Palmetto
McKinney Falls
Ink's Lake
Brazos Bend
Stephen F. Austin
Ft. Parker
Ft. Richardson
Fairfield
Martin Dies
Sea Rim
McKinney Falls

The great thing about all of these parks is the diversity that exists. You can travel a few hours and experience a completely different environment. Obviously, some are more RV friendly than others, but each has their own charm.
rgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
Site Team

I liked The Vineyards near Grapevine, on the lake. As I understand it was a coe park and the city of grapevine bought it. Large spots and shady like a state park. Near bass pro, cabelas and great wolf lodge.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #10

Cedar Hill, Lake Brownwood, Lake Livingston, San Angelo, Balmorhea, and my favorite Davis Mountain. Davis Mountain has full hookups and cable TV. There is also a Lodge and restaurant with a Javelina parade every evening.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #11

Texas State Parks

Not sure where the original 1185 number came from but it might include all of the roadside historical signs. Just checked the State Parks Guide and I came up with 76 parks (10 or 12 don't have camping facilities (power and water)) and 47 State Historical Sites and State Historical areas. So far we've stayed at 41 parks (at least once, a few many times) and visited 9 others. Gulf Coast to the Panhandle and East TX to far west TX, they're all nice. I don't keep track of the SNAs and SHS's.
milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #12

Since getting started in this RVing we have stayed at the following:
Mother Neff, Eisenhower, Atlanta, Lake Whitney.
Our favorites are Lake Whitney and Eisenhower.
Got trip to Daingerfield in September.
Hope the flooding at Lake Whitney hasn't done a lot of damage.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #13

Don't forget the Corps. of Engineer campgrounds. They are generally near lakes and most are very nice.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Dinosaur Valley SP is really fun
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #15

Awesome idea !! We have stayed at Brazos Bend, Martin Dies, Lake Sommerville, Lake Texana (don't think that is state run anymore). We recently visited Goliad State Park and plan to camp there soon.
cschuerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #16

We live near Ft. worth so Lake Tawakoni is great for an easy weekend trip. Many of the sites are pull-through and they are long and level. Bonham is a favorite when grandkids are with us. The playground is visible from the camp site. There is a man-made lake there in which no motorized vehicles are allowed. Eisenhower, Balmorrea, and Galveston are also wonderful parks. Has anyone tried out Cleburne State Park?
Pruittc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #17

I've camped at Cleburne. It is a nice park with nice trails and lake. Only downside is the nearby lime plant which can be heard operating depending on which way the wind is blowing.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #18

Texas State Parks..

[QUOTE=banda;937533]Sorry to hear about your wife's injury.

I too would like to spend time at all of these parks and historic sites. And I don't think it will take as long as you think. By my count there are 102 parks and historic sites operated by TPWD All Parks — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department and 20 historic sites operated by THC THC State Historic Sites | Texas Historical Commission and keep in mind not all of them have camping.

We have camped at about 75 of them so far, and haven't found one yet that we didn't like, but some favorites include (in alphabetical order) Balmorhea, Brazos Bend, Caprock Canyons, Daingerfield, Davis Mountains, Enchanted Rock, Garner, Huntsville, Inks Lake, Lost Maples, Palo Duro Canyon, and Tyler.
The Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #19

For the Texas Park campers....do you know what the length limitation is for the RV?
The Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villager View Post
For the Texas Park campers....do you know what the length limitation is for the RV?
It may depend on the park. When you reserve a spot online, there's a place where you choose the length of your tt, fw or mh and some of the choices are 'over 60 ft' but I bet the returned number of sites available for that choice will more than likely be zero

EDIT: Actually, I just tried that choice for Lk Brownwood and it says there are 31 sites available on Oct 30th for FW/TT over 60 ft with electric and water, go figure!
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote