Old 07-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #11
Texas State Parks

Not sure where the original 1185 number came from but it might include all of the roadside historical signs. Just checked the State Parks Guide and I came up with 76 parks (10 or 12 don't have camping facilities (power and water)) and 47 State Historical Sites and State Historical areas. So far we've stayed at 41 parks (at least once, a few many times) and visited 9 others. Gulf Coast to the Panhandle and East TX to far west TX, they're all nice. I don't keep track of the SNAs and SHS's.

milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #12
Since getting started in this RVing we have stayed at the following:
Mother Neff, Eisenhower, Atlanta, Lake Whitney.
Our favorites are Lake Whitney and Eisenhower.
Got trip to Daingerfield in September.
Hope the flooding at Lake Whitney hasn't done a lot of damage.
MK Clark
2015 2819VS Windjammer

MKClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #13
Don't forget the Corps. of Engineer campgrounds. They are generally near lakes and most are very nice.
JPSPete20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
Dinosaur Valley SP is really fun
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover
Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball
LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote
6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard
Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #15
Awesome idea !! We have stayed at Brazos Bend, Martin Dies, Lake Sommerville, Lake Texana (don't think that is state run anymore). We recently visited Goliad State Park and plan to camp there soon.
cschuerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #16
We live near Ft. worth so Lake Tawakoni is great for an easy weekend trip. Many of the sites are pull-through and they are long and level. Bonham is a favorite when grandkids are with us. The playground is visible from the camp site. There is a man-made lake there in which no motorized vehicles are allowed. Eisenhower, Balmorrea, and Galveston are also wonderful parks. Has anyone tried out Cleburne State Park?
Pruittc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #17
I've camped at Cleburne. It is a nice park with nice trails and lake. Only downside is the nearby lime plant which can be heard operating depending on which way the wind is blowing.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #18
Texas State Parks..

[QUOTE=banda;937533]Sorry to hear about your wife's injury.

I too would like to spend time at all of these parks and historic sites. And I don't think it will take as long as you think. By my count there are 102 parks and historic sites operated by TPWD All Parks — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department and 20 historic sites operated by THC THC State Historic Sites | Texas Historical Commission and keep in mind not all of them have camping.

We have camped at about 75 of them so far, and haven't found one yet that we didn't like, but some favorites include (in alphabetical order) Balmorhea, Brazos Bend, Caprock Canyons, Daingerfield, Davis Mountains, Enchanted Rock, Garner, Huntsville, Inks Lake, Lost Maples, Palo Duro Canyon, and Tyler.
The Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #19
For the Texas Park you know what the length limitation is for the RV?
The Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #20
Originally Posted by The Villager View Post
For the Texas Park you know what the length limitation is for the RV?
It may depend on the park. When you reserve a spot online, there's a place where you choose the length of your tt, fw or mh and some of the choices are 'over 60 ft' but I bet the returned number of sites available for that choice will more than likely be zero

EDIT: Actually, I just tried that choice for Lk Brownwood and it says there are 31 sites available on Oct 30th for FW/TT over 60 ft with electric and water, go figure!

Michelle Evans
Katy, TX
2011 Carriage Cabo 341
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is online now   Reply With Quote