Old 08-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
How "Off Road" are they...

My wife and I are looking at a Flagstaff Hard Side T12RBSOR, "OR" indicating the Off Road package. Anyone have any experience with these? We love to camp but prefer to be a little off the beaten path and are wondering if "OR" is worth the extra $$$...

Even without the OR package, any issues getting into primitive camping spots?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

El Tejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #2
My T12 does not like rough roads. This is just the nature of the beast with not much weight and a short distance from the hitch ball to the axle.

Keep in mind that since the pivot point of the whole rig is at the hitch ball, the vertical movement when going over a bump is least at the front and most at the rear. Pack accordingly, and go slow when the road is rough.

Enjoy the adventure.

2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
Off road in an A-Frame just means a little more clearance underneath, 15" tires. The trailer still bounces and flexes and beats up whatever isn't secured inside when traveling off the beaten path. Definitely go slow or you'll find your fridge popped open and all contents spilled everywhere, or as others have discovered on rough roads, cabinet separation from wall....i went with my trailer because (at the time), it was the one with larger tires, heavier frame and more height for traveling uneven roads, but we still go slow. Haven't experienced any rough rider problems but doesn't mean I won't in the

Best wishes in your search. Go for the model that appeals to your sense of camping and adventure needs.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
My Flagstaff T12RB does not handle steep inclines such as deep driveways. Even when trying to approach at an angle, always get a little drag it seems. I can't imagine taking mine off into a field. Just not as solid as a car frame.
Dobe Fanatic - Largo, Florida
2012 Flagstaff T12RB A-Frame
DobeFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #5

Just came back from a nice trip through the woods. The 2.5 mile climb up the mountain took about 20-25 minutes. Only thing out of place when we got to camp was the scrabble game on the floor. Just take it slow and enjoy the ride and you should be okay. It handled it better then I thought it would.

Loranimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
With a minivan for a tow vehicle, my off-roading limit is the minivan, not the standard A122. If the ruts or rocks are likely to cause problems for the minivan, I don't go there (it's now a backpacking area for me).

In Colorado, the dirt roads are mostly rated in various books. Easy and an occasional short stretch of moderate is my limit. I do research my campsites in advance so I know about things like water and potty type.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #7
I have a 2016 Rockwood A122 SRX, which is the same as the Flagstaff OR model, before that I owned a regular A122, so I have a perspective on both.

The biggest advantage with the OR model is the extra approach and departure angles from the lift and 15'' tires. I also like the fact that my camper is running on 15'' LT truck tires. My A122 SRX handles a lot better behind my 4Runner than my old A122. I would guess its a combination of the increased length and 15'' tires.

The OR model also has a stronger frame, 4'' vs 6'', beyond that there exactly the same as the standard A-frames.
RV`s are not known for there great build quality and this includes our beloved A-frames, so I would be very gentle when towing on back roads.

The cost difference is not that great between models and I feel the benefits of the OR models are worth it.

2012 A122 (SOLD)

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #8
If I were buying today, I'd go with the OR model.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
Recent trip to Montana and Wyoming

We took our 2014 A127TH on a 5,000 mile round trip from North Carolina to Montana and back last month. We spent 21 nights in the camper. The trip included around 300 miles of unpaved roads, mostly graded gravel but with some badly washboarded sections, some narrow and rocky roads, some two-track, and some just a hair better than goat trails. It rides on 15" AT light truck tires and has decent clearance all around. We were generally pleased with the overall performance on the highway and off. The off road attributes we were disappointed with were:

The stovetop glass lost most of its fasteners.

The microwave came loose

EVERYTHING inside in the form of luggage and gear moved all over the place

The entire interior got dusty--really dusty, before we took the preventative measure of covering the entire box with a cheap tarp as we closed her up. It was coming in from the top, and we'd carefully remove the tarp as we opened it up.

The TH platform adds enough to the overall length that the breakover angle is poor. The maneuverability is impaired by the length, too. There were some National Forest and BLM campground campsites we had some difficulty getting backed in to. Admittedly, part of the maneuverability issue is our TV, an '02 F350 Crew Cab long bed 4WD, itself having a turning radius measured in miles. We still managed to negotiate some tight hairpins along Rock Creek and Big Sheep Creek in Montana, some very rocky and narrow trails near Elk Lake, Montana, and a total of 70 miles of narrow, steep, and rocky trail and two-tracks up to 9,600' in the Wind River Range in Wyoming.

Overall we're happy. We won't be able to get it into very tight spots as we thought we might, but the truck doesn't fit into a lot of tight spots to begin with. It's rugged enough for washboarded roads and rocky trails. We'll figure out how to get it sealed up better to reduce the dusting issue.

Newbie to modern-era small RV camping, but grew up in the 1960s with a Cox tent camper w/ parents and 3 sisters. Yes, a little tight in there.

Rockwood A127TH.
Fox58 is offline   Reply With Quote