Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #1

How to escalate warranty service with Forest River?

I am having a few minor issues with my unit.

My windows are sticking to the point where I am afraid that I may cause damage with them when I open them, and the rear windows blind is becoming detached at the bottom of the window.

Both are fairly minor issues and things that I honestly could likely fix in 20 minutes myself, however being that both involve seals I tried to take the unit into service at my local dealer and was refused service. They stated that they do not have to honor service requests and that it wasnt worth their time to deal with rockwood trying to get paid for the repairs. If i wanted to pay out of pocket i could, but it would be around $150. Otherwise I was free to take my "business" elsewhere.

My main concern is few fold. 1) This is a new unit. While these issues were not caught during the PDI (the window was, but it seemed to be getting better, but after sitting has frozen up again) I still shouldn't have to resort to paying out of pocket or fixing things myself for a unit that is just over a week old. 2) Being that these issues are near seals, I am hesitant to fix them myself god forbid in 6 months I have a real issue with a leak or something and have FR come back saying that there was "unauthorized service" performed and void the warranty. 3) If the local service center is unwilling to perform this work, what is to say that I will have any support in the event that I have a more major issue down the road?

I tried calling the local flagstaff dealer and was told that they do not perform warranty service on Rockwood units.

I did call my dealer where i purchased the unit (about 200 miles away, i am not going to go there for regular service) and they are trying to find a dealer that will service the unit, but I am finding this absurd.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can best light a fire to get this (fairly trivial) issue resolved?

Right now I am regretting sending out my check for the rockwood extended warranty the other day :-(
loki008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #2

Well here is a list of contacts, good luck. Let us know the outcome.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ContactInformation (1).pdf (46.2 KB, 89 views)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Well here is a list of contacts, good luck. Let us know the outcome.
Thanks, I will start calling my way through that tomorrow I can be quite persistent when the mood strikes me.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Site Team

the Flagstaff brand is the exact twin of the Rockwood brand, so that is dealer BS.

and the Rockwood foldables warranty person should be able to find someone closer or twist the Rockwood dealer's arm or authorize you to have it done at a independent RV repair shop. but you may have to pay upfront and be reimbursed by FR.

we bought our Rockwood Roo from a dealer 2000 miles away and FR helped us find a number of local dealers willing to do warranty work.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
the Flagstaff brand is the exact twin of the Rockwood brand, so that is dealer BS.

and the Rockwood foldables warranty person should be able to find someone closer or twist the Rockwood dealer's arm or authorize you to have it done at a independent RV repair shop. but you may have to pay upfront and be reimbursed by FR.

we bought our Rockwood Roo from a dealer 2000 miles away and FR helped us find a number of local dealers willing to do warranty work.
I know its BS, but FR said that the dealer has the right to chose what work they do and they can't force the issue. They did recommend 2 places to contact and so far one of them said they don't service rockwood and the other didn't answer the phone. I am going to call again tomorrow and try to escalate it again. Maybe now that the other local dealer said no, they will actually get involved.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Might be worth traveling out to the Goshen Rally (shameless plug) and visit with other forum members while the factory "zero times" your camper!

Seriously though, good luck in your search to find a "non-butthole" dealer close to you.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #7

I've read about that kind of attitude from dealers for years. Instead of developing their service business as a profit center they see it as a necessary drag on sales revenue and only service what they sell. The attitude keeps them running a money loosing service center which in turn reinforces the attitude.

Many big cities have an independent RV service company that can do warranty repairs. Check around. Other places have FR dealers who don't sell pop ups and can do the work, if they are willing. Unfortunaley we are entering the high sales season, so there are a growing number of delivery preps and PDIs to keep the service departments busy supporting new sales. So it may take some time to get a dealer to agree to take a look.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #8

extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki008 View Post
I am having a few minor issues with my unit.

My windows are sticking to the point where I am afraid that I may cause damage with them when I open them, and the rear windows blind is becoming detached at the bottom of the window.

Both are fairly minor issues and things that I honestly could likely fix in 20 minutes myself, however being that both involve seals I tried to take the unit into service at my local dealer and was refused service. They stated that they do not have to honor service requests and that it wasnt worth their time to deal with rockwood trying to get paid for the repairs. If i wanted to pay out of pocket i could, but it would be around $150. Otherwise I was free to take my "business" elsewhere.

My main concern is few fold. 1) This is a new unit. While these issues were not caught during the PDI (the window was, but it seemed to be getting better, but after sitting has frozen up again) I still shouldn't have to resort to paying out of pocket or fixing things myself for a unit that is just over a week old. 2) Being that these issues are near seals, I am hesitant to fix them myself god forbid in 6 months I have a real issue with a leak or something and have FR come back saying that there was "unauthorized service" performed and void the warranty. 3) If the local service center is unwilling to perform this work, what is to say that I will have any support in the event that I have a more major issue down the road?

I tried calling the local flagstaff dealer and was told that they do not perform warranty service on Rockwood units.

I did call my dealer where i purchased the unit (about 200 miles away, i am not going to go there for regular service) and they are trying to find a dealer that will service the unit, but I am finding this absurd.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can best light a fire to get this (fairly trivial) issue resolved?

Right now I am regretting sending out my check for the rockwood extended warranty the other day :-(
I would look at the extended warranty as protection against a major failure and fix the small things myself. You will be much happier.

I had a sticky sliding window to the point the metal pull came off the glass. I found a little multi purpose oil in the track fixed the problem and used clear RTV to reattach the pull.

I have had several shades come loose. The strings down the side needed to be tightened. Where the screw was pulled out I drilled the hole in the plastic retainer one size larger and put in a larger screw.

Both repairs were worth doing over going to a dealer. I would only go to a dealer if it were major and costly. Most of the repair people I have run into at dealerships know less than I and I really do not want them in my rig.

For the major work and extended warranty issues I go back to the factory.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I would look at the extended warranty as protection against a major failure and fix the small things myself. You will be much happier.

I had a sticky sliding window to the point the metal pull came off the glass. I found a little multi purpose oil in the track fixed the problem and used clear RTV to reattach the pull.

I have had several shades come loose. The strings down the side needed to be tightened. Where the screw was pulled out I drilled the hole in the plastic retainer one size larger and put in a larger screw.

Both repairs were worth doing over going to a dealer. I would only go to a dealer if it were major and costly. Most of the repair people I have run into at dealerships know less than I and I really do not want them in my rig.

For the major work and extended warranty issues I go back to the factory.
That is about where I am at. I already tried some silicone spray on the window. The issue i think is that the piece that seals the window is too tight and when the window is closed the pull looks like it is close to breaking before the window comes open.

As for the window. I am fairly sure I can fix that as well. Its just frustrating that I have to do it myself. I have a dealer 10 minutes down the road and I have had the unit for less than 2 weeks. Its just unbelievable that they are able to do business like this.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki008 View Post
Its just unbelievable that they are able to do business like this.

We all understand your frustration.

We are so used to autos where the manufacturer is responsible for many quality issues for years after the sale. Unfortunately some amount of resignation to the reality of RV manufacturing is required in owning one. It will go a long way toward getting the enjoyment out of the camper that you bought it for.

Think of it as a "partnership" and don't let turn into .

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #11

think I have same window problem/is your window that is sticking on right side of rv? the one over the microwave? and while we are on subject does that screen come out?I almost broke lock trying to get it to slide/ I sprayed a small amount of WD 40 on tracks but now can not get over spray off/ screen is in way/ agree with group on fixing items your self/ get a lot of info here/
Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #12

I have same problem with sticking window on entry or microwave side of unit /small window was so hard to open or close/ I sprayed WD 40 in tracks helped some but now I have overspray on glass/screen is in the way to remove overspray/ does this screen on window come out? do not want to brake screen or latch///// thanks hope lokioo8 that you get problems fixed/you can learn a lot from this group
Old 04-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #13

sorry about double post

Tags
forest river, service, warranty