Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #21
Ree

What to use to seal your unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLiz View Post
We have a 192 HW fiberglass hardside camper. It was shut, lowered and locked and a large limb apparently fell on it. We now have a puncture hole the size of a quarter on the top flap (closed) between the two bubble windows. How would you repair the fiberglass shell? Ever had this happen to you?
FYI
WHAT TO USE TO SEAL YOUR UNIT.

The proper sealer is necessary for a good seal that last. Almost all doors, windows, trim, hatches and accessory covers on RV's are sealed with a polyurethane sealer that really sticks, firms up well and remains flexible.

Roofs are sealed around vents, hatches, AC units and edge seams with a product called Lap Seal. This is thicker, very sticky and usually is used to overlap the spot being sealed by 1.5 Inches. It comes in Self Leveling and Non Sag formulas in a caulking tube.

The best Polyurethane sealer I've found is LOCTITE TUB & TILE SEAL & BOND, aka POLYSEAMSEAL. It's easy to lay a good looking bead and to smooth with a wet finger where necessary.
I found it at home centers in both White and Almond. This also works good on the interior around sinks, showers and counters.

For the Lap Seal roof product, I found it at MOBILE HOME DEPOT [www.mobilehomedepot.net]. I purchased Non Sag formula and it works great. No leaks with this stuff.

An IDEA....Go to a hobby store and find a white large round button or stone of some kind, in shiny white and stick it on there. When someone would ask what that is, you can say "that is my smart button", becomes a conversation piece. Just having fun!
Old 10-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #22

As quoted here... Marine-Tex is approved for below water level repairs. If you are repairing and not replacing this is superior to polyester items.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #23
Ree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
As quoted here... Marine-Tex is approved for below water level repairs. If you are repairing and not replacing this is superior to polyester items.

Thank you!
Old 10-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #24

Never, never, never, ever use silicone on anything you want to correctly repair at some later date. Once you use silicone nothing will ever stick properly. Nothing removes silicone completely and sanding or grinding will only grind it further into the surface.
I too have some marine repair experience having had my sailboat end up 50ft from shore after hurricane Ike. 3 ugly holes. One hole was 5ft long and about 2" wide completely through the hull where the rubrail was chewed off by bolts on the edge of the dock. I stood the boat up and did the repairs right there in the swamp. 5 weeks after the storm I got all my strong friends together and we moved a 25ft 7500lb boat back to the water by hand. The video from West System is a very good one. Check out the other videos on YouTube from West System. They really do know their stuff. Martin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2016 Rockwood A212HW
2000 Ford F-250 7.3lt 2WD