Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #1

How to fix puncture hole

We have a 192 HW fiberglass hardside camper. It was shut, lowered and locked and a large limb apparently fell on it. We now have a puncture hole the size of a quarter on the top flap (closed) between the two bubble windows. How would you repair the fiberglass shell? Ever had this happen to you?
Old 10-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #2

Take it to a local body shop that does fiberglass work.

Likely a lot cheaper than a dealer.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #3

Or
Fill the hole with silicone sealer the and a piece of EternaBond Roof Seal Tape.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #4

Check with your insurance company. This is the type of hazzard loss that insurance is supposed to cover.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Check with your insurance company. This is the type of hazzard loss that insurance is supposed to cover.
If so he probably has a deductible that will be more than it's worth to have someone fix.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
If so he probably has a deductible that will be more than it's worth to have someone fix.
Perhaps. I would insist the insurance replace the panel with a new one as a repair would be unsightly and not a return to anything close to the original condition.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-11-2016, 05:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLiz View Post
We have a 192 HW fiberglass hardside camper. It was shut, lowered and locked and a large limb apparently fell on it. We now have a puncture hole the size of a quarter on the top flap (closed) between the two bubble windows. How would you repair the fiberglass shell? Ever had this happen to you?
Look at West Marine, they have a two part product that will fill the whole stronger then the fiberglass, I used it on boats and my camper. Comes in white or gray. Then look up a product called MajicEzy it comes in 10 colors I use snow white and go over your fill patch with that, you will notice that little whole but probably nobody else and it will be leak proof.. If you can't find the product at West Marine let me know I will direct you to it. Comes in a box.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:58 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Or
Fill the hole with silicone sealer the and a piece of EternaBond Roof Seal Tape.
X2
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #9

You can fix it correct or take the easy way out and make it look like crap, not my trailer, You don't put ETERNABOND tape on fiberglass MICKEY MOUSE . Just my opinion...

Old 10-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

A 3/4" hole could be filled and covered with a 1" circle of Eternabond and hardly seen on a roof panel.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #11

I don't think OP would have posted his question here if he intended to take it to a dealership.

Here is a good vid that should help you:

Eternabond is a good temporary emergency repair while out in the field.

I have a puncture hole on my camper next to my fresh water tank fill hole. I'm going to enlarge the puncture and install a 12 volt plug there so I have a rv power source for my water pump that I use to pump water from storage containers into the tank while boondocking.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #12

I fixed a 2 inch hole in the door to the propane compartment. I used a product called
Marine-tek. It is a 2 part system that has to be mixed but it worked really well. If I do say so myself, you have to look really closely to tell there has even been a repair. Caution, if you do use it apply sparingly because once it hardens it is like steel and very hard to sand. Better to do it twice than end up with too much.
I finished the area by painting it with a Krylon Fusion plastic paint (satin finish). It matched the surrounding fibreglass the best.
Good luck it you decide to do it yourself.
Larry Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
A 3/4" hole could be filled and covered with a 1" circle of Eternabond and hardly seen on a roof panel.
Depends on the year the camper was made. On the older white models it might not be very noticeable but on the newer models it would stick out.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #14

Easy peasy

I thought holes like this are why they sell bumper stickers
kwf1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #15

One of my repairs is on the upper right hand side corner of my back wall. It came out pretty good but the color match wasn't 100%. It now has one of those RV USA sticker maps on it.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:05 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

My DH put a screw through the outside wall when he mounted the bedroom TV. To fix it he put a bolt going intotge trailer in the hole. Covered the hole thing with clear silicone. I believe he also put some silicone in the hole and put the bolt through the wet silicone to help seal it. It has held for 2 years without any issue.

See below for before and after pics.

Before;

After:

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #17

Still mickey mouse, fix it correctly

Old 10-12-2016, 12:28 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Still mickey mouse, fix it correctly
Hey now, my fix was done at OC's suggestion. It doesn't look bad in person (check it out at Peach Rally). It was there both at Mayberry and Goshen when we saw you and I bet you didn't even notice.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:51 AM   #19
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I'm on the same page as Witch Doctor.
Gooping on silicone and covering with tape isn't a repair. I understand some are not able to do a proper repair due to lack of skills or equipment, and that's o.k., but for those I'd recommend either taking it to a body shop OR call a local on-site repairman that does boat fiberglass repair.
If you want to do it yourself you can get repair kits and some miscellaneous supplies (sand paper, spreader, tape, ect.) at a local Marine or some hardware stores. Watch a youtube video or two and get it done. It's not hard just takes time.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Hey now, my fix was done at OC's suggestion. It doesn't look bad in person (check it out at Peach Rally). It was there both at Mayberry and Goshen when we saw you and I bet you didn't even notice your right .
Your right I didn't see it but I normally don't look for flaws in peoples trailers either, but that doesn't mean anything, People can do as they wish. The OP question was how to repair a hole. Like I said its not hard to do. The product I'm talking about is called Marine-Tex, It's easy to use and is a permanent fix, I could care less if people want to take short cuts like I said it's not my trailer. I suggested the products to use. If your handy you can do it. In fact it will harden and be stronger then the original fiber glass. I have repaired boat bottoms with the product below the water line, travel 15,000 blue water miles with it and never gave it another thought. There is always a right way and a MIckey Mouse way. But as I said that is just my opinion. IT'S not my trailer and I would make sure it was done correctly before a delamination problem occurs. Then your replacing a lot more for a lot more money I know I just paid 5400.00 dollars for a new roof, because a dime size hole was not repaired correctly and to late. Two years ago in Goshen they put a new roof on my slide because the dealer didn't know what they where doing and it was repaired with eternabond tape and the area was not done right and the tape was coming up on all edges. That was free, FR couldn't believe the repair themselves. They even called the dealer to complain on my behalf, which the stealer then called me to apologize for such crappy workmanship. Needless to say they will never touch my unit again. Would I do OC's way YES until I could repair it correctly or have it repaired correctly....