Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 06:38 AM   #1

I Ask Out of Ignorance?

I know there have been many discussions on what type of tires to get for our Aframes.

But a questions suddenly popped into my mind...and I'm strictly talking about our Aframes not regular travel trailers or 5th wheels.

Our Aframes fully loaded don't weigh anymore than what a car or truck would weigh so why couldn't you use regular car/truck tires on our Aframes? Would the size of the rims be the answer?

Thanks

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:49 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Tire weight rating would be a huge consideration.

Find a passenger car tire of the same size and see what the weight rating is compared to you st tire.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "15 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:55 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Backing a trailer involves making the tire do things no car tire needs to see (like twisting); it needs to be able to sit for 11 months yet spin up to 65MPH without warm up (and not fail!); it supports your camper without shocks yet is resistant to cupping from bouncing down the highway; it needs to support loads far in excess of a similar size car tire...

I could go on, but why bother?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:21 AM   #4

A-Frames are single axle so they don't see (Twisting/layover) side loads like (Dual or Triple Axel) units! Youroo!! Check the Load Specs you might find a tire that will work?
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #5

The stock Westlake ST tires on my A122 are 185R-13" Load Range D. I don't think I'm going to find any 13" car tires with a 1710 lb load rating - which is about 10% cushion over max GVWR. And I don't know of any LT 13" tires.

Also, I have not found that size ST tire in any brand besides Westlake (which have done have just fine for the first 3,000 miles). Given the lack of problems, I don't see any point in up-sizing my wheels (including spare) to get supposedly better tires.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #6

being ignorant of trailer tire ins and outs for the first 30 years of my towing life, I always used passenger tires on my boat trailer (about 2,000 total pounds) and regularly towed it thousands of miles each year without any problems, blowouts, tire cupping or anything noticeable happening. I had 3 tire pairs over this time period, all but the first pair were Goodyear passenger car tires, 14" size. Last year I got my 4th set. I replaced the rims and tires with ST tires, only because I needed new rims and the mounted tires I got had ST rated tires already installed.

now that I have a tandem axle HTT, I better realize the stresses and added weight (4,600#) that I have on my trailer and I figure that ST tires of the proper size and inflation are the best that I can do

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #7

If you have 13" wheels, you are pretty limited to ST tires - I don't think you will find many 13" truck or passenger tires with that kind of load range. If you have 14" wheels, the Kumho Radial 857, an "all position" tire, has good capacity ratings and is very well liked by the single axle crowd - Casitas, etc.
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:29 PM   #8

You need to consider highway safety codes as well. There are lots of places that will not allow a trailer on the road with P or LT rated tires. Lots of tire shops also will not install them on trailers for liability concerns

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabmeb View Post
You need to consider highway safety codes as well. There are lots of places that will not allow a trailer on the road with P or LT rated tires. Lots of tire shops also will not install them on trailers for liability concerns

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Where are these (Places) that check your (P or LT rated Tires)? Are they in the USA? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #10

I run LT tires on my flatbed trailer. I see nothing special about ST tires. You can get LT tires at a higher weight rating per size then ST tires. As far as stresses I don't see anymore twisting of a trailer tires then if you sat in your vehicle and turned your front tires full left to right while not moving. I have never heard of anyone checking what type of tires were on a trailer.
Loranimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #11

tires ..

get the same tires .. change out every five years .... and watch your pressure.
now ...that being said .. for me camping is a pleasure not a chore .. as in worring about stuff .. but making sure we are prepared for basically any road side problem ..

change them out to the origional specs .. and you should be a-ok .. thats what im doing next year .. and our camper has seen alot of miles ... 1000 miles in ourl ast trip ..

d-mo
Old 07-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #12

There seem to be a lot of "ifs" talked about here in using non-ST tires. If they fit, if the weight rating is enough, if the sidewalls are strong enough, etc. I wonder how much the savings will be to solve all those "ifs." I would never put passenger car tires on my camper, that is beyond foolish based on the design intent of the tire, and only for the small savings you might get. LT tires, pays your money and takes your chances.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #13

Trailer tires are a scam. Most are rated to 65 mph, which is slower than almost all of us drive with smaller trailers. They consistently blow out in hot weather and highway speeds. As soon as I found this out I switched my bass boat tires to passenger tires rated at 99 mph. My bigger boat changed to load range D 81 mph rated 14 inch tires. I run LT tires on my utility trailer. You may not be able to find any LT tires in 13". If you're pulling something as light as a car, and no taller, I think you'd be fine with passenger car tires. Go with the highest load rating you can.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #14

I found a real good article on Tire Rack .com about trailer tires. This will answer your questions about the value of trailer tires.See Tire tech ( trailer tires vs passenger vehicle tires) there is no doubt that I will use trailer tires on my trailer.
Dsfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loranimal View Post
?..You can get LT tires at a higher weight rating per size then ST tires...
On what planet?

I considered going to LT tires to replace my 235/80R16 ST tires. To get an LT tire with the same or better load rating and speed rating, I needed to go up in size, and there isn't room between my axles. Even the Goodyear Unisteel G614 is a 235/85 (ie, slightly bigger,) and certainly not affordable at $385 apiece.

You can go with your LT tires. I'll stick with STs that are designed to carry more weight. TPMS is your friend.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsfast View Post
I found a real good article on Tire Rack .com about trailer tires.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=219

The site points out the lower weight rating on a P tire when used on a auto vs. a trailer. Another "if" that has to be solved.

It also mentions the addition sway concerns caused by greater sidewall flex designed into P tires vs. ST. The geometry difference between boat trailers and campers and the difference that makes to sway means experiences with boat trailers is completely irrelevant to use on single axle campers like A Frames.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Everyone has an opinion; occasionally, they are actually based on facts backed up with links to source materials.

Most often though, they are not worth the ether they are blasted through.
CAVEAT LECTOR - "Let the reader beware" is never so true as on a open forum. Remember, there is not a single poster who will pony up the money to pay for the damage that their bad advice caused.

And THAT my friends IS a fact (without a source, except common sense).

In My Honest Opinion, I would never consider putting a non-ST tire on a trailer and I would never TOW without LT tires on the tow vehicle.

Oh, and one more thing. If you want to see how helpful the advice being offered is, look at the person's profile. In the upper right hand corner may be a bar of 10 small squares of two shades of green. As you post something that helps someone, they can hit the "Thanks" button. This increments the "Thanks" counter by one.

If you hover over the bar it will come up with a text stating how reliable the advice typically given by the poster is. Someone who has never been thanked will say "User is an unknown quantity at this point", at 350 "Thanks" it will say "User is just really nice", and to get the top rating "User has a reputation beyond repute" you would need to be thanked more than 2,000 times.

Oh, and you can't thank your OWN posts.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsfast View Post
I found a real good article on Tire Rack .com about trailer tires. This will answer your questions about the value of trailer tires.See Tire tech ( trailer tires vs passenger vehicle tires) there is no doubt that I will use trailer tires on my trailer.
From that article:

"Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer."

Also almost every trailer tire is speed rated at max 65 MPH.
Loranimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loranimal View Post
From that article:

"Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer."

Also almost every trailer tire is speed rated at max 65 MPH.
I think you're missing the point. The same physical size LT tire CANNOT CARRY the same amount of weight as the same size ST tire. If you want the same weight carrying in an LT, you have to go up in size. Yes, you CAN put LTs on a trailer, but you're losing weight carrying capacity. Yes, the LTs can go faster. Yes, all ST tires are rated for 65 MPH. But how fast do you really want to go driving a pickup truck with 19K of weight behind/under you?
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote