Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #1

I hope it’s not rocket science

I have a 2015 tqbhw and I can never open the emergency exit window. They showed me once at the dealer and I was able to do it once or twice. Now I can’t. Do I pull the screen? How about pressure on the window. I give up.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:37 PM   #2

If it is 'unlatched' and does not seem to want to swing out.... Many times the glass and seal will stick so tight, that is seems to be 'glued' in place. Gently pry along the edges to release the glass from the seal and not break the glass. Open the emergency exit window several times over the camping season to make sure that it is working smoothly.

Only pull the screen out, if you are going out the exit... other wise, leave it in.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
If it is 'unlatched' and does not seem to want to swing out.... Many times the glass and seal will stick so tight, that is seems to be 'glued' in place. Gently pry along the edges to release the glass from the seal and not break the glass. Open the emergency exit window several times over the camping season to make sure that it is working smoothly.

Only pull the screen out, if you are going out the exit... other wise, leave it in.
Sorry if I’m not being clear about it. I’m trying to open it for ventilation. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
OYO

At 1st we had issues opening the window. Then I realized I wasn't pulling out on the red handle enough before trying to slide the window. You have to pull it directly towards you and then slide.

Might try that.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #5

Could be the seals sticking. I had to treat all the seals on my exterior hatches and emergency windows twice this year. Had to use a screw driver a couple times to open a hatch and one of the windows.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #6

Unlatch it and kick it

Unlatch it and kick it - I would wait for a real emergency before following this advice however.
kirkwilliams2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #7

Sometimes the window frame is slightly out of ideal alignment...I had to pull hard on mine and then used some dry lube spray on the window tracks which made it easier.

If A Frame is not leveled, can also make it harder to open the window.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
Sorry if I’m not being clear about it. I’m trying to open it for ventilation. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwilliams2049 View Post
Unlatch it and kick it - I would wait for a real emergency before following this advice however.
Not very good advice for what the OP is trying to do.

As mentioned, sometimes the seals tend to really stick and a little help with a thin piece of something (maybe a screwdriver, maybe not) or a plastic knife between the window glass and the seal is necessary to break it loose.

Having someone else pushing or pulling on the glass helps too.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #9

Part of the annual maintenance proceedure:

For all gasket surfaces (Doors, windows, storage compartments, etc) wipe with rubbing alcohol to clean, then wipe on silicone lube.

I use paper towels. When wiping with alcohol, they will turn black quickly. After a few applications on the same surface they will no longer get dirty and are ready to lube. I use silicone spray on a paper towel and rub it over both sealing surfaces.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #10
jkoenig24

After a "Mac The Fire Guy" seminar, I tried to open my emergency escape window. It did NOT want to budge! After considerable effort (over several minutes), I managed to get it to open. I closed it up again only to find it leaked the next time it rained! At the FROG Rally, more caulking was applied around the escape window and, I got some Boeshield 303 to clean & lubricate the gaskets and seals. EVERYBODY should check their escape window. If your's is like mine was, if a fire occurred, you'd be toast. You also want to know if that window (or any other) needs to be caulked better.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #11

I went out and tried again. No luck. I’m going to try a putty knife to see if I can break some seal that’s holding.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #12
jkoenig24

I'd be REAL leery of using a putty knife. Too easy to damage the gasket material. I'd be much more inclined to spritz Boeshield 303 (or other similar protectant/lubricant) along with some gentle vibration (tapping along the entire perimeter) to aid in penetration. It will take some time but, persistence will pay off.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #13

My dealer told me I shouldn’t open the emergency window for ventilation, only for an emergency. Also they said once I open it it is toast and has to go to a service center to get the window put back in. I have a 2018 Rockwood Roo 233s
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #14

We have a different camper and it has 4 emergency windows we open all of them for ventilation and have never had an issue in doing so or them leaking and yes the gaskets do stick at times.

Our last camper had two emergency windows that were used often.

Like the other had stated once you unlatch the they can stick.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
I have a 2015 tqbhw and I can never open the emergency exit window. They showed me once at the dealer and I was able to do it once or twice. Now I can’t. Do I pull the screen? How about pressure on the window. I give up.
Would you be able to post a picture since there are many different styles of emergency windows.
On our windows I push the locking lever toward the window slightly and then down to release. Maybe let the window relax for a few minutes and then firmly push with a fingertip in one corner and work your way around until it lets go. Use an appropriate lubricant on the window seals and open the windows regularly to make sure they are operable, you sure don't want the seal to stick in an emergency situation.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #16
jkoenig24

"My dealer told me I shouldn’t open the emergency window for ventilation, only for an emergency." Does your emergency exit have a sliding pane? If it does, there should be NO problem in sliding that pane open within its' frame for ventilation. IF your emergency exit does NOT have a pane that slides, you need to be more careful. SOME emergency exits ARE designed to "break away" and fall to the ground. That would give occupants a larger opening through which to escape. Generally, that type of window needs to be opened (pushed out) at least 45 degrees BEFORE the shear pins do their job. You SHOULD check the operation of ALL emergency exits BEFORE you need them! Poor installation could result in an emergency exit that does NOT want to open. Such a situation needs to be corrected ASAP! After you've tested and familiarized yourself with your emergency window(s), THEN check the leaks have not been introduced (garden hose or, wait for rain).
Old 12-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #17

The window has a sliding pane that’s been opened before
Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #18
Site Team

Before trying any more suggestions, please post some detailed photos of the window and frame. In some units the emergency window also functions as a normal window for ventilation, but can be pushed out with the mounting frame in an emergency. Others are emergency windows only and are not designed to be opened and closed. If you have a window where the emergency functions is accomplished by pushing out the seal as well as the window you may need to return to the dealer to reinstall.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #19
OYO

It's an A frame. It only has 2 windows. Both are used for ventilation. It has a red handle you pull towards you and then you slide the window forward. No kicking etc.

The OP says he has had it open, but now it's stuck.

FYI - I have no clue how someone could get through it in a fire.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #20

X2
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote