Old 08-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #51

hey Fred,

I have only gone on one short camping trip since I made the mod. I just drove to the camp site using DC and left the fan off until we arrived. I'd think that the air movement driving 60 mph would provide pretty good air flow over the coils.

I'd start off without the fan running and set the fridge at level four running on DC. If the fridge starts to struggle, kick it up to level seven and see if that works.

I'll be interested to hear about your results on a long trip to see if you needed the fan while on the road and if you did use it, what impact it had.

Terry

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #52

Just caught something in your post.......am I understanding that DC runs the fridge at max....level 7 all the time?

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:14 AM   #53

My understanding of reading the Dometic manuals and previous ownership of a pop-up is that the DC coil has no adjustment. The 4223 installation manual states the DC coil is 160 watts, like the AC coil. This means current draw on DC is a nominal 13.25 amps, but cooling should be just as good as AC on full.

AC is easy and cheap to regulate with an SCR device (same as a household light dimmer) so most fridges have a knob to regulate AC. DC is not so easy to regulate.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
Old 08-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #54

All ready made fans for yor fridge

Also there is fans already made for the fins on the inside and for the back of the fridge check the photos out. Go to RV Cooling Unit Warehouse.com or you can find them on Ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 4.16.19 PM.png
Views:	39
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	117373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 4.15.35 PM.png
Views:	42
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	117374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 4.15.09 PM.png
Views:	40
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	117375  
Old 08-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #55

Thx for this.....d -mo
Old 08-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #56

Did some testing - but not enough - on our trip from Colorado Springs to Waco and Palo Duro State Park in Texas.

Departure day was cool (60s and 70s) until we got to Amarillo. Fridge was holding at 29 - 34 degrees on 12V, no fan. Fridge temp would climb during stops - I was turning it off to avoid freezing contents. The theory that the air flow at highway speeds will provide sufficient cooling is correct.

From Amarillo to Waco, temps were in the 90s. Again, while moving the fridge would hold 29-34 degrees, no fan. At one stop, turned fridge off and temp shot quickly up to 40. Started turning on fan during stops, and temps held steady at 36 or less.

In Waco at campground for 5 days, ran fridge on AC with fan on. Had to set dial at 3 to prevent freezing.

Departed Waco for Palo Duro Canyon State Park, temps in 90s. Ran fan during stops. Fridge held 33-36 entire time. Had a 1 hour check-in plus another half hour setting up. Propane/CO/low voltage alarm went off shortly after plugging in shore power (before I moved fridge to AC). Reset it twice, the third alarm reset itself. No more alarms after that.

From Palo Duro to Colorado Springs, tried to run fridge on propane. Flame blew out after a couple of hours. Measured voltages at home with TV attached - noted car voltage starts out at 14, quickly drops to 13.2. But RV has 13.2 at the battery even with fridge running on DC and running lights on.

Conclusions:

- fan mod is critical to decent fridge performance. Without it, there just isn't enough air flow across the cooling coils when the camper is sitting there.

- While on the road, fan is not needed. But fan should be turned on during stops.

- Fan dramatically increases fridge efficiency. Both propane and AC can be dialed back to half power or less.

- Have to do more testing to be sure, but my TV will not do anything more than trickle charge camper batteries. During stops, the fridge will deplete batteries fairly quickly if left on DC (13.3A), and this charge will not be replaced while driving.

- I need to put a fan switch in the fridge compartment. The one inside the camper is pretty useless. I will be using the fan just about all the time when camping.

Fred W
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
Old 08-21-2016, 08:04 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Question for all of you that already done the fan mod: Do you leave the fan on while towing?
Fred W
2008 Hyundai Entourage
Nice trip report.

While it is probably not needed when driving, I run my fan because it's already on from chilling the fridge while at home. It draws so little power it doesn't matter.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, frame, fridge