Old 04-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #1

I'm liking my A-frame fridge

My last 4 day camping trip, I discovered the plywood divider between the sink area and the fridge compartment was very hot. Fridge had been running for 4 days.

I was going to put in some Reflectix to help channel the fridge air flow to the upper vent. I discovered the angled vent on the chimney top had the upper end pointed inward instead of towards the vent. I took the chimney portion apart, and put it back together with the upper angle of the chimney cap facing the vent. I wondered in doing this if I had altered the heat transfer from the chimney innards (where the gas heat and exhaust goes) to the refrigerant.

So yesterday I bought a wireless thermometer and plopped the sensor on the rack in the fridge. Camper is in the garage, and ambient temp was 74 degrees. I started the fridge off on AC, and it cooled to 40 degrees in about 40 minutes on max setting. Backed off to "5" and it held 40 for about 30 minutes. Switched to gas, and it quickly cooled to 37, then I backed off the gas flow. Switched to DC, and after an hour, the fridge was down to 32!. I was really surprised on how well it did on DC.

This was with the vent panels removed, so the fridge had pretty free air flow.

My next step is to smooth out the airflow with the Reflectix, and the vent panels installed.

I really like having that $10 wireless thermometer, so I can make sure food is staying where it should be. I just pull the batteries out of sensor and thermometer when I'm not using the camper fridge.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame

Old 04-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #2

Would you elaborate on where you are putting the Reflectex to improve frig airflow (hopefully with pics)?

2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #3

I've also been happy with my 2014 A122 fridge, though only after adding some cooling fans.

In the 70's or in the shade, it worked fine, but if in the sun and really warm, it wouldn't keep up without the fans. I did an emergency fan install in the middle of the Nebraska Sandhills last year, and it's worked great!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
Would you elaborate on where you are putting the Reflectex to improve frig airflow (hopefully with pics)?
I went out to take pictures today. The A-frame is parked about 2ft from the garage wall - just enough space for me to get to that side of the camper. Pictures did not work out - would not focus that close. Will try again another day with different phone/cameras. At least I'll get good pictures when I pull the camper out of the garage in 3 weeks for our Utah 5 trip.

Basically, at the top I'm forming a duct (sides and top) to the top vent. I'm trying to limit how much heat can be trapped in the top and sides of the compartment. If I can get the heat exhausting out the top vent instead of being trapped in the compartment, it should draw cool air in the bottom vent.

At the bottom, I'm trying to make as smooth a path as possible for the incoming air to the cooling coils.

The pop-up campers' fridges all have a tough time with cooling air over the coils because of the limited vertical distance between the upper exhaust vent and the lower intake vent. Just not enough distance for a decent chimney effect.

The remote thermometer gives me a great tool - for less than $10 - to tell how my fridge is really doing.

Fred W
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
next trip: 9 days for the Utah 5 at the end of April
Old 04-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Boondocking Only

Pictures or it didn't happen!
Old 04-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #6

My camper just went in for a fridge repair or I'd post a photo. The service guy was just as perplexed about the not working on gas problem as I am.

The fridge baffle mod works by taking a piece of Reflectix cut to a size that it fits into the space in the upper access panel. The idea is to force the flow of air rising from convection to flow through the top heat exchanger. Reflectix is easy to do this with because it can be cut over sized then easily trimmed down until it fits. The material is stiff enough that if tightly fit, it will stay in place on its own. and durable enough to last for years, since it is designed to work in attics.

It should fit snugly to the bar between the fridge access openings on the side of the camper and go to both sides of the compartment. The upper part needs to be cut so it is right up on the heat exchanger fins with an opening on the right side for the flue gas. It will cover the electrical controls, so a small access hole needs to be cut by making slits on three sides, leaving the flap attached at the top. When closed, the flap will stay in place on its own.

I found no need to tape the tight fitting baffle in place. So it is easily removable.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #7

How did you attach the fan. I'd like to do it so the fan is removable. So the construction adhesive to the top of the compartment I used for my old camper is not desirable.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 04-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #8

Mine aren't easily removable, but I don't plan to remove them anyway! I attached two computer case fans to the inside of the plastic cover along with a switch.

They are wired in with PowerPole connectors, so I can detach the wiring if I need to set the cover down. When I put on the propane, for example.

Having a wireless thermometer really helps too. Without that I probably wouldn't have noticed my fridge temps weren't safe in the high heat.

I can get a photo when I get the camper back out in the next few weeks.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #9

Great idea to attach them to the cover.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #10

Am taking the camper Friday to work, and then Friday night to Relay for Life (American Cancer Society fund raiser). Plugged the camper in last night, connected the battery, fridge on (on AC max), wireless temperature gauge on.

7:30PM garage temp 77, fridge temp 77
4:30AM garage temp 70, fridge temp 30 turned power down to "5"

Pretty good for 9 hours running, nothing inside fridge but sensor. Sensor was on top rack at front of fridge.

Fred W

Tags
a-frame, frame, fridge