Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #1

Impressive Fridge Cooling

I don't see temps in the high 80s or 90s very often, but my area is in an uncommon heat wave right now - got up to at least 90 today. I had the trailer windows closed while I was at work today since there was a chance of rain. When I got home, this is what I saw.

Maybe this isn't as impressive as I think it is, but around 70 degrees difference in a three-way absorption fridge is nothing to sneeze at! (This was on electric, and granted I had not opened the fridge in a day or so.)

Also, maybe I should think about turning the A/C on inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Fridge Temp July 15 2019.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	209985  

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #2

I have no issues with my fridge. Just takes a while to cool down. I haven't turned it off in 2 months. Problem solved. Less to unpack and then pack up for next time.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #3

I live and camp in AZ and the fridge has always given me fits. Never cooled like I thought it should, even after adding fans to the back panel. We just got back from a three week tour up to Glacier and as soon as we got out of the heat it worked like a charm. So much so I had to place it on setting 1 to keep things from freezing. Lesson learned. It’s not the fridge, it’s the nasty insulation installed. Anybody got a good hack other than pulling it out and adding insulation?
lastayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Before I started with the mods, mine was terrible. Dealer said it was working as it should. My fridge is in the slide, so no rooftop venting. Added fans to the back on a thermostat. A fan inside running full time for circulation. Still had marginal cooling, but a lot better. Added the ‘snip the tip’ thermistor modification and got rid of the sliding clip temperature setting thing. It works fantastic now. I can easily maintain 36 degrees in the ‘fridge section even when it is 115 in Phoenix. Currently in Oregon, have not touched the setting, still 36 degrees. Those numbers are on gas or electric.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
Life long camper

Impressive Fridge Cooling

Hello, My refrigerator has given me fits since it was new. Norcold 2118 side by side. Its in the slide, has three fans and still wont get below 40 degrees. Dealer has replaced it three times and I continue to get the same problems. You mentioned snip the tip, thermistor clip delete. Could you please explain more. At this point I am willing to try anything. Thank you. Mike G
Michael Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #6

I did install one (computer) fan inside my exterior vent in front of the AC/DC fins, so that may be helping.

However, caveats for me are that 1) if I opened the fridge for more than a few seconds in this kind of heat, it could take awhile to recover, and 2) the thermometer sending unit was somewhere on the lower level of the fridge, I think toward the middle; if placed on the door the temps would have probably been in the 40s or possibly even 50s. Need to strategically place items in these little cube fridges as there is no easy way (or space) to install an interior fan!

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #7

I tore apart an old inverter that no longer worked, just for the little fan. Circulates just enough to work great, no noise at all. Can barely hear it with the door open. Runs all the time that the fridge is on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20190507_12_04_32_Pro.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	210041  

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #8

Coming from a pop up to our ROO I was a little anxious to see if there was much difference in the fridge.
My Pup was heavily modified to help her out and would "manage" high temps in the mid 90*'s at 40*. Last week end we had 94* outside and the fridge in the ROO stayed on setting 1 (electric) and held he 33* like a champ, even the ice stayed frozen.
Excited now that I can bring ice cream camping!
Hawkester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastayt View Post
I live and camp in AZ and the fridge has always given me fits. Never cooled like I thought it should, even after adding fans to the back panel. We just got back from a three week tour up to Glacier and as soon as we got out of the heat it worked like a charm. So much so I had to place it on setting 1 to keep things from freezing. Lesson learned. It’s not the fridge, it’s the nasty insulation installed. Anybody got a good hack other than pulling it out and adding insulation?
My fridge in my first A-frame (2014 A122) was very inconsistent. And the cabinet next to the fridge got very hot.

First step I took was to use a wireless thermometer (very similar to what Jarry used) to see how bad it was or wasn't. Then downloaded the Dometic installation manual for the fridge and was shocked (not really) to see how poorly FR complied with Dometic specs.

1st shot was pushing fiberglass batt insulation into the slots between the fridge and the cabinet (from the back) on both sides and the top (bottom had no gap). Filled up the slots completely.

Then I taped Reflectix over the slot openings. I also made a shallow rounded dome of Relectix from the top of the coils to the top of the exhaust vent. This eliminated a lot of heat-collecting open space at the top of the enclosure space behind the fridge. And also solved the problem of the adjacent cabinet getting hot. While I was there I plumbed an extension on the propane exhaust stack to duct the propane exhaust to the vent.

I added a Reflectix-covered baffle between the bottom and top vent to force air through the cooling coils. And finally added a computer cooling fan to the top vent to force the heated air out.

When done, that fridge would stay cool in any outside weather.

Our new T21TBHW (high wall A-frame) has a different fridge. I did the batt insulation, Reflectix, and ducting the propane exhaust on this fridge, too. It already has a fan located just below the baffle. Even though the baffle doesn't meet Dometic specs, the fridge works well enough. I will eventually redo the baffle, and change to 2 computer case fans on the exhaust vent just to make it a little more efficient.

FWIW, DW added a Reflectix liner to one of our smaller coolers. Ice retention went from 1 to 3 days just with a single layer of Reflectix. Good stuff from Home Depot.

just my experiences with A-frame fridges
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Garrison View Post
Hello, My refrigerator has given me fits since it was new. Norcold 2118 side by side. Its in the slide, has three fans and still wont get below 40 degrees. Dealer has replaced it three times and I continue to get the same problems. You mentioned snip the tip, thermistor clip delete. Could you please explain more. At this point I am willing to try anything. Thank you. Mike G
That is only made for Dometic but tempodels. Works very well.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:13 AM   #11
Recently new!

Michael Garrison, I cannot get to the web right now. There are several thermistor replacements out there that work great. Mine is a Dometic, so I do not know if mine will work for yours. I have been extremely satisfied how well my fridge works now.

Some other posters have added insulation. I will have to see if that will help even more than what I have so far! Oh great....another mod on the to do list.....LOL!
Old 07-17-2019, 12:18 AM   #12
Recently new!

Oh, by the way, my interior fan is on a micro-relay that shuts it off when the interior light comes on (door opens). Stops the air circulation when door is open. Fan draws very little (.06 amps?)

My outside coil fans are on a thermostat and delay relay so they run only when the heating element is running, delay set about 5-7 mins off after the cycle is done.

These measures taken as I boondock often.

Tags
cooling, fridge