Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #1

In for repairs.

After only 3 trips our Rockwood A128TH had to be returned to the dealer for repairs.

It seems a screw that held the front corner trim down worked itself loose or was poorly caught/installed. This caused the trim to pull away from the caulking and the edge and appeared to pull the plating up with it.

It should be repaired in plenty of time for our big summer camping trip to the Grand Canyon but I wondered if anyone else has had this kind of problem?

Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #2

Sooner or later we all expereiance some trouble of one sort or another with our campers. The trick is not to let it get to you. Yes, it can be annoying but that's the way it is. I had all the gaskets replaced on my camper because they where all coming off. After 8 months now, all is good. Also had the fresh water tank sag so much when filled I had it replaced but it sagged again when filled. The dealer was at a lose as what to do so I told them to install a peice of plywood under the belly of the tank and support it with metal strapping. Problem solved, they only did one end of the tank so I did the other end and no more sagging. A lot of small things I do myself like others, taking camper to the dealer all the time is a pain. Good Luck and have Fun camping and your trip to the Big Ditch.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theres a Nap for that View Post
After only 3 trips our Rockwood A128TH had to be returned to the dealer for repairs.

It seems a screw that held the front corner trim down worked itself loose or was poorly caught/installed. This caused the trim to pull away from the caulking and the edge and appeared to pull the plating up with it.

It should be repaired in plenty of time for our big summer camping trip to the Grand Canyon but I wondered if anyone else has had this kind of problem?

On inspection I noticed on ours, one of the screws on the piano hinge for the front wall had a screw that wasn't put in proper and it caused the trim to lift. They removed the screw and screwed it back in at the proper angle and all is good.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #4

Theres A Nap for That - I've not had that happen, but would be curious to see a photo of it, if you have one? One more thing for me to look out for! Glad to hear you two will get it back before your planned trip!!

I have an issue with my door - had it since the first time I took it out. the corner piece bent & occasionally catches - it is sharp and now the top of the lower half door looks somewhat mutilated. I need to take it in to have molding on the lower half of the door replaced, but I think the door molding was not placed correctly to begin with.

Oh BTW, glad you came out of lurker status & decided to chime in with us!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #5

I didn't think to take any photos. The damage is on the front drivers side. IndyRC noticed the caulk was no longer touching the trim. When we pushed the corner back into place with the caulk, the metal plate also moved in and out.

My biggest concern was for water to get under the metal plating and ruin the wood without our knowing it was happening. The service tech assures us they will glue the plate back down, reset the screw and repair the caulk.

I'm sure it was a simple fix, but it is under warranty so better they fix it and have record of the issue in case of future problems with that area!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Mostly Harmless

You did right to jump on that issue like a duck on a bug. Water infiltration is insidious and will destroy any structure it gets into. The Aliner and Chalet forums are full of threads about floor replacement and entire camper rebuilds because water got in. It's early days yet to see if the Forest River A-frames will have similar problems, though I've talked to some Aliner owners who are of the opinion that the FR design has eliminated the source of the leaks plaguing Aliners and Chalets. We'll see if that's true within the next few years but meantime I check every interior corner and joint for dampness at least monthly. If we lived in a humid climate I'd keep some DampRid in the camper year-round. This is the third year for our Rocky and so far no sign of trouble, even though we've been out in some spectacular storms.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #7

We just got a new trailer that we ordered. Arrived with 2 screws backed out on the lower and front on each side that holds trim in place. We thought some worker in the plant had reached the end of his shift on a Friday and just left them like that, but the dealer said that happens a lot during transit to the west coast. Very weird that it is the same screw in exactly the same spot on each side. They had almost backed right out. Screws got tightened up and we will just keep an eye on them. Caulking all intact fortunately. Pretty minor compared to a few other things that need fixing.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #8

I am unclear on which trim pieces people are referring to as experiencing trouble with screws holding. Can someone give a more precise description or post a photo? I want to be prepared for a through check out of my 122S.

If it ever arrives.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Mostly Harmless

Dont want to hijack this thread but I see that red racer's hobbies include vintage cars. What do you have, and can I move in next door to you?

Among the long string of cars I've played with have been a '38 Chevy Master Deluxe 4 door, a '40 Packard coupe, an Austin Healy Mark III roadster and an early '60s Corvette.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
You did right to jump on that issue like a duck on a bug. Water infiltration is insidious and will destroy any structure it gets into. The Aliner and Chalet forums are full of threads about floor replacement and entire camper rebuilds because water got in. It's early days yet to see if the Forest River A-frames will have similar problems, though I've talked to some Aliner owners who are of the opinion that the FR design has eliminated the source of the leaks plaguing Aliners and Chalets. We'll see if that's true within the next few years but meantime I check every interior corner and joint for dampness at least monthly. If we lived in a humid climate I'd keep some DampRid in the camper year-round. This is the third year for our Rocky and so far no sign of trouble, even though we've been out in some spectacular storms.
I do this and it is a must here in Georgia.

loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote