OK..so the maiden voyage was a big success. My son and I headed out to some leased property on the South Fork of the Broad river here in NE Georgia...We're talking about a completely primitive campsite here. Picture a few thousand acres of mixed hardwoods and pine with several creeks, beaver ponds, granite quarry's and a river. The nearest town was Elberton, the "Granite Capitol of the World." These large deposits of granite expose themselves in steep outcroppings and result in good bit of vertical terrain...not to mention crystal clear quarry ponds 100 ft. deep.
The biggest obstacle in reaching the campsite was the entrance to the camp road. It was about a 2' deep by 2' wide ditch. I had prepared for this crossing by bring 8 of the prepackaged firewood that comes in the red nylon bags. It made the perfect land bridge to keep the camper from harm and allow access to the camp. It was a bit of a hassle but worth the trouble.
A few random thoughts on the camper:
1. I have ALOT to learn about the systems and how to get the highest efficiency out of them. I have a basic understanding but I will learn alot more in my driveway this week.
2. The unit is just airtight enough. I found a few things I need to tweak as far as the gaskets are concerned but I like that it will breath a little too.
3. We did not even use the furnace Sat. night when it got down to 50 degrees...Beats the heck out of a tent! It is also nice to roll out of bed in your underwear and throw the percolator on the stove...ahhhh the luxury of it all.
4. I crawled beneath the camper some more and decided I wanted to spray the underside with some of the aerosol bedliner coating. I wonder if it will adhere to wood?
5. I am going to do a screen door mod a la hamguy sometime soon.
All in all I am very pleased with my new A-frame. The attachment has already begun. Next week is a trip to some lake property in Alabama with the DW and kids...I better study up quick on those systems
. It will be more dry camping with some great scenery. I can't wait. The DW is already shopping for 19" LCD TV/DVD combos....anybody have any recommendations? Thanks again for the help getting started and hope everybody gets on the road sooner than later.