Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
Ham....no worries. I'll get some free time later today and give a full write up...
__________________

__________________
2012 Flagstaff T-12DD
2004 Chevy Suburban
2000 GMC Sierra Z-71
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
OK..so the maiden voyage was a big success. My son and I headed out to some leased property on the South Fork of the Broad river here in NE Georgia...We're talking about a completely primitive campsite here. Picture a few thousand acres of mixed hardwoods and pine with several creeks, beaver ponds, granite quarry's and a river. The nearest town was Elberton, the "Granite Capitol of the World." These large deposits of granite expose themselves in steep outcroppings and result in good bit of vertical terrain...not to mention crystal clear quarry ponds 100 ft. deep.

The biggest obstacle in reaching the campsite was the entrance to the camp road. It was about a 2' deep by 2' wide ditch. I had prepared for this crossing by bring 8 of the prepackaged firewood that comes in the red nylon bags. It made the perfect land bridge to keep the camper from harm and allow access to the camp. It was a bit of a hassle but worth the trouble.

A few random thoughts on the camper:

1. I have ALOT to learn about the systems and how to get the highest efficiency out of them. I have a basic understanding but I will learn alot more in my driveway this week.

2. The unit is just airtight enough. I found a few things I need to tweak as far as the gaskets are concerned but I like that it will breath a little too.

3. We did not even use the furnace Sat. night when it got down to 50 degrees...Beats the heck out of a tent! It is also nice to roll out of bed in your underwear and throw the percolator on the stove...ahhhh the luxury of it all.

4. I crawled beneath the camper some more and decided I wanted to spray the underside with some of the aerosol bedliner coating. I wonder if it will adhere to wood?

5. I am going to do a screen door mod a la hamguy sometime soon.

All in all I am very pleased with my new A-frame. The attachment has already begun. Next week is a trip to some lake property in Alabama with the DW and kids...I better study up quick on those systems. It will be more dry camping with some great scenery. I can't wait. The DW is already shopping for 19" LCD TV/DVD combos....anybody have any recommendations? Thanks again for the help getting started and hope everybody gets on the road sooner than later.

LM
__________________

__________________
2012 Flagstaff T-12DD
2004 Chevy Suburban
2000 GMC Sierra Z-71
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Mike G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 225
Sounds like you had a good trip! I purchased a 22'' combo TV/DVD at Best Buy and it works great. It fits on the counter above the microwave perfect. I store it in a large plastic container from Walmart that has a snap-on lid, this helps keep it clean and protected. I transport it in the back of my 4Runner to avoid it from bouncing around in the camper.

Link for TV.

Dynex™ - 24" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV DVD Combo - DX-24LD230A12

I still back pack and tent camp, but I still love watching a movie while I`m laying on my heated mattress.
__________________
________________________
2012 A122 (SOLD)

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Sounds like you had a good trip! I purchased a 22'' combo TV/DVD at Best Buy and it works great. It fits on the counter above the microwave perfect. I store it in a large plastic container from Walmart that has a snap-on lid, this helps keep it clean and protected. I transport it in the back of my 4Runner to avoid it from bouncing around in the camper.

Link for TV.

Dynex™ - 24" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV DVD Combo - DX-24LD230A12

I still back pack and tent camp, but I still love watching a movie while I`m laying on my heated mattress.
That's funny. I had kinda zeroed in on the 19" Dynex. Are you supposed to keep these TV's in an upright position or can you lay them on their side for storage?

LM
__________________
2012 Flagstaff T-12DD
2004 Chevy Suburban
2000 GMC Sierra Z-71
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jeep4Two's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganmartin

That's funny. I had kinda zeroed in on the 19" Dynex. Are you supposed to keep these TV's in an upright position or can you lay them on their side for storage?

LM
Keep the front of the screen safe and their storage (or operating position for that matter) makes no difference. Not like CRT's that would get all goofy if they were stored in non standard positions then moved to normal. No magnetic concerns with LCD's.
__________________
Jeep4Two
2011 FR Rockwood Premiere A126 Hard Side
TV=2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 Dr
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Mike G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 225
^^What he said^^

My tv has a nice stable base and it looks like it was made for that area.
__________________
________________________
2012 A122 (SOLD)

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
skullskidr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watkinsville, GA
Posts: 126
Hey LoganMartin,
I live just outside of Athens. I too have been down the Broad river and swam in a couple of those quarry lakes!
__________________
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty 4x4
ProPride 3P
2013 Windjammer 3006WK
1973 Camaro RS, LS6/475hp, 6spd
skullskidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
Member
 
OutAndAbout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 79
Lucky dog. Savor a little for me.
__________________
Never try to teach a pig to sing, it's a waste of time and annoys the hell out of the pig.
OutAndAbout
2014 Rockwood A122S
2014 Tacoma 4x4
OutAndAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Milford, MA
Posts: 441
On the bedliner, inquire with the factory and the dealer before doing so, you may be voiding an important warranty in weatherproofing that surface. The wood used is designed for the environment it is in, with care it should hold up well. There is probably a pamphlet in your packet of goodies you got on delivery with info about the plywood used.

This from another forum on forest river and weyerhauser structurewood used in the floors of these campers....

Our use of Structurwood® is so dependable that Weyerhaeuser agrees with our practice of not coating the exposed bottom surfaces. “Weyerhaeuser agrees with FTCA, Inc.’s practice of not coating the exposed bottom surface of the Structurwood® panels used in their trailers. In our opinion, moisture from occupancy load, or from other internal or external sources may become trapped in the Structurwood® substrate if it is coated on the underside with a system that impairs the ability of the substrate to dry thoroughly. Trapped moisture, over time may cause premature decay or rot.”
__________________
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
On the bedliner, inquire with the factory and the dealer before doing so, you may be voiding an important warranty in weatherproofing that surface. The wood used is designed for the environment it is in, with care it should hold up well. There is probably a pamphlet in your packet of goodies you got on delivery with info about the plywood used.

This from another forum on forest river and weyerhauser structurewood used in the floors of these campers....

Our use of Structurwood® is so dependable that Weyerhaeuser agrees with our practice of not coating the exposed bottom surfaces. “Weyerhaeuser agrees with FTCA, Inc.’s practice of not coating the exposed bottom surface of the Structurwood® panels used in their trailers. In our opinion, moisture from occupancy load, or from other internal or external sources may become trapped in the Structurwood® substrate if it is coated on the underside with a system that impairs the ability of the substrate to dry thoroughly. Trapped moisture, over time may cause premature decay or rot.”
That makes a lot of sense...thanks rawlus. I was concerned about road debris chipping away at the wood but moisture is definitely the greater of those two evils. I'm glad you caught me before I started.

LM
__________________

__________________
2012 Flagstaff T-12DD
2004 Chevy Suburban
2000 GMC Sierra Z-71
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.