Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #1

installed wireless back-up camera

i just finished installing a wireless back-up camera for our A-frame. mounted the camera under the spare on the recessed bumper. i'll post some photos later. the unit works great. has multiple IR so works in the dark. will sure make it nice backing into spots after hours.
oldgrayghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #2

Which one, I'm looking for one also.

2016 Nights camped in wildcat(14) didn't count previous trailer
2017 Nights camped (44)
2018 Nights camped (29) that's too low. Must work on it.
maskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #3

Nice job. I'm guessing you weren't prewired for that, so good work.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #4

Yeah. Which kind. Back up camera would be really nice.

Are some coming prewired for it? that is not bad.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgrayghost View Post
i just finished installing a wireless back-up camera for our A-frame. mounted the camera under the spare on the recessed bumper. i'll post some photos later. the unit works great. has multiple IR so works in the dark. will sure make it nice backing into spots after hours.
Why? Isn't the camper below you're line of sight when it's collapsed?
vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #6

I installed one as well, mine was prewired for the Furrion but didn’t want to spend the money. Found one on Amazon for 79.99 that connects to your phone through it’s own WIFI. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0686.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	168921Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0687.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	168922
coachjeff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #7

back up camera

Old 04-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #8

the system is a model IP-43WWUS wireless IR car rear view back-up camera with a 4." monitor 12-24V. i purchased this item on Ebay from vendor "iposter". the total price was $59.99 with free S&H. the monitor plugs into the accessory outlet on the dash. my 2017 has a recessed area in the center of the dash, so i took a piece of plexiglass cut to this dimension covered the bottom/top with black felt (to keep glare to a minimum) attached the monitor. it keeps the monitor in place and i simply unplug and take the monitor and base out when it's not in use. i used a T-tap to tap into the back-up light lead on the truck. then took a flat 2-way wiring harness and arranged it just below the bumper at the trailer wire hook-up. grounded to the frame on one lead, hot on the other. then i ran a flat 2 way down the square tube stock under the camper coming out on the rear recessed bumper. i used a security camera bracket to mount it and that's pretty much it. i just plug the flat 2 way when i plug in the camper, put the monitor in and plug the power lead into the accessory plug and i'm good to go. the image quality is not super quality, but more than adequate for this application.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgrayghost View Post
the system is a model IP-43WWUS wireless IR car rear view back-up camera with a 4." monitor 12-24V. i purchased this item on Ebay from vendor "iposter". the total price was $59.99 with free S&H. the monitor plugs into the accessory outlet on the dash. my 2017 has a recessed area in the center of the dash, so i took a piece of plexiglass cut to this dimension covered the bottom/top with black felt (to keep glare to a minimum) attached the monitor. it keeps the monitor in place and i simply unplug and take the monitor and base out when it's not in use. i used a T-tap to tap into the back-up light lead on the truck. then took a flat 2-way wiring harness and arranged it just below the bumper at the trailer wire hook-up. grounded to the frame on one lead, hot on the other. then i ran a flat 2 way down the square tube stock under the camper coming out on the rear recessed bumper. i used a security camera bracket to mount it and that's pretty much it. i just plug the flat 2 way when i plug in the camper, put the monitor in and plug the power lead into the accessory plug and i'm good to go. the image quality is not super quality, but more than adequate for this application.
Was there a reason you didn't tap into the reverse lights leg on the trailer's wiring harness?
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
StlClay

tadi.com. Great products and prices on many wireless systems

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjeff1 View Post
I installed one as well, mine was prewired for the Furrion but didn’t want to spend the money. Found one on Amazon for 79.99 that connects to your phone through it’s own WIFI. Attachment 168921Attachment 168922

I have been looking at this same camera for a while. Anyone got a pic of this camera with something next to it for size comparison? Like a beer can!
bajeep93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajeep93 View Post
I have been looking at this same camera for a while. Anyone got a pic of this camera with something next to it for size comparison? Like a beer can!

Maybe later but for reference the piece it is mounted to is 5" wide.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #13

I use a Swift Hitch SH02D Digital portable wireless backup camera that has a magnetic base and a hand held color monitor. I use it for the back of our van when hitching the trailer, and then use it on the back of the RV when backing into the campsite. When not in use, it is stored in a case in the van. Since it is completely portable, I use it for other things around the house.
A122
A122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:21 PM   #14

Bought an "el cheapo" from Wally World. Wasn't worth a hoot. Trashed it and bought a Furrion observation model. Worked great. Well worth the money.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjeff1 View Post
I installed one as well, mine was prewired for the Furrion but didn’t want to spend the money. Found one on Amazon for 79.99 that connects to your phone through it’s own WIFI. Attachment 168921Attachment 168922
Coachjef, what's the length of your RV? Thanks,
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRalph View Post
Coachjef, what's the length of your RV? Thanks,
33 ft. Going to try it out this weekend for our first trip out.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #17

I got a Tadi Brothers wireless camera and monitor for my rig. I was surprised but it fit into the factory Furion mount. I do get varying interference depending on the location. I attribute it to being a wireless unit. Otherwise it's working well.

'17 Coachmen Chaparral
'17 Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Retired & Full Timer
KI4OVB
68 Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #18

Ok update, driving down the highway was hit and miss, especially through town. I guess too many wifi signals. Once out of town worked great! Used it backing in the driveway at home since we had a pull through site! Overall pleased!

Tags
led