Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 07:56 PM   #1

Inverter fan - newbie question

Another newbie question:

Getting ready for the first ever trip; got the antifreeze out OK (haven't turned on the HWH yet, tho)

We've plugged it in to charge the batteries and notice that the fan on the inverter is running. I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Does it go all the time?

It did the same thing when we had to plug it into the house after the CO/ propane monitor kept beeping. It took us over an hour to find the cause. It was in the garage and we couldn't imagine what was beeping. We finally found it, plugged in the camper and it stopped. But a couple of weeks later it's beeping again. That's when we unhooked the battery.

As an aside, is there anyplace I can go to get a good education on the electrical system for this? It's the a122s

Thanks!
Paula

2016 A122S

TV: 2012 Silverado
PaCamper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Here's a generic education, fairly common to all RV's.

And the fan you hear running is most likely to the converter (converts 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC) and not an inverter (inverts 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC). These two different items have their terminology confused a lot. It's explained in the links below

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Just in case, this is another good link that may help with understanding your water heater (if equipped with a Suburban brand). Your A-frame may just have a propane only model, but the link still shows to to properly operate that or the models with an additional electric heating element. It also shows how you need to have your bypass valves set for summer use.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1193446

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #3

When you plug in to shore power your converter starts charging the battery. It needs the fan for cooling converter.
As far as the CO\propane monitor is concern is it beeping because battery is low. you can disconnect battery or use a battery disconnect switch. I don't think your unit has that switch but you could have one installed. If you choose to just disconnect battery always remove cable from negative side battery.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

Wow. Thank you so much. We have a lot to learn, but these links will definitely help. Some "light reading" for the campground on Monday! And yes, from what I could tell the beeping was because the battery was low.

Thanks!
Paula

2016 A122S

TV: 2012 Silverado
PaCamper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCamper63 View Post
Wow. Thank you so much. We have a lot to learn, but these links will definitely help. Some "light reading" for the campground on Monday! And yes, from what I could tell the beeping was because the battery was low.

Thanks!
Paula
You are welcome. I would suggest reading that water heater one before you go camping, IMHO.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Suggest you Google "The 12 Volt Side of Life "

Should be required reading for all RV newbies.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
When you plug in to shore power your converter starts charging the battery. It needs the fan for cooling converter.
As far as the CO\propane monitor is concern is it beeping because battery is low. you can disconnect battery or use a battery disconnect switch. I don't think your unit has that switch but you could have one installed. If you choose to just disconnect battery always remove cable from negative side battery.
Why negative? I have always disconnected the positive and as both terminals are floating it makes little difference.

The black flies and mosquitoes are fighting over our bodies
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussPastuch View Post
Why negative? I have always disconnected the positive and as both terminals are floating it makes little difference.

The black flies and mosquitoes are fighting over our bodies
It's a mechanics safety issue to keep from arcing when disconnecting on a negative ground system.. We have discussed this many times here, but google is your friend too which you can search which terminal to disconnect first on a battery.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #9

Keep the spark away from the top of the hydrogen generator. Makes you wonder about the safety of a battery post mounted disconnect😕
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:52 PM   #10

I think you mean to say converter and not an inverter. An RV converter takes alternating current and transforms it into 12V direct current. An inverter takes 12V (or any voltage) direct current and inverts it to 115 volts alternating current.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, inverter, newbie