Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #21
Enjoying your posts... you will pass through my home town of Dawson Creek BC which is mile-zero of the Alaska Highway. Have fun on your trip it will be one to remember
btw, I'm old ham got my license in 1958

Roy & Jean
2010 Rockwood mini Lite ETC 181
2002 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4x4
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #22
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
For Dave and the other hams on this forum, I left home without either my HF antenna or my transciever, so all the preparation to get it up and working was for naught. I had hoped to set up some sort of APRS gear so you could track our progress, but evidently early senility has set in and it's not with me.
You were reading my mind Lee. I was wondering if we could work 20 or 40 meters. Well, it's just one less thing to deal with taking down when breaking camp. APRS would have been great, but, I'm guessing there may not be many repeaters in your neck of the woods to track you. I have a Yaesu HT with GPS I use to track my daily walks (not many during this terrible heat).

Keep us aprised of what is going on and have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Currently trailerless.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #23
I am looking forward to your posts. I have been to Alaska 2 times on tours. I think driving would be fantastic. Looking forward to seeing more photos. Thanks for keeping us informed.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #24
Mostly Harmless
Day 6 - July 3rd

Although as I understand it, folks back home are sweltering, here in Vegreville, Alberta, home of the giant Easter egg (with over 12,000 parts and weighing in at over 5000 pounds, it must be The World's Largest Assemble-It-Yourself Item That is Not Sold By IKEA), which I can see from where I sit shivering in the 59 degree/15 Celsius weather.
Monster storms have been passing across eastern Alberta and western Saskatchewan today, and with the extraordinary views for miles from along the Yellowhead Highway, we were treated to spectacular vistas which--if you love storms--would set your heart aglow. It's like an IMAX movie of weather to look out across the plains in all directions and see different shapes and colors of clouds wherever you look.
Our stay in Regina yesterday was disappointing from one perspective--that of getting much done. Not only was the weather too nice to leave the campground, nearly everything we wanted to do was closed. Windshield repair? Nope. Organic grocery? Nope. Etc., etc.
So this morning we folded down, hooked up, and pulled out for Edmonton, or actually, Vegreville, about 600 Km to the west. Driving in everything from sunshine, to simple rain, to a downpour that simulated a plate's trip through an industrial dishwasher, it was like we were being shown all the weather salesman's samples. We had intended to stop halfway between Regina and Edmonton but kept opting to press on, hoping to get behind the storm front somewhere. No luck with that. At the Alberta welcome center in Lloydminster we learned that this actually quite progressive little town has a municipal campground with lots of amenities. So far we haven't found the wi-fi signal that was mentioned, though, so posting this will have to wait.
We had an incident last evening that others on this forum have also complained about--namely, accidentally starting the microwave and toasting things stored in it. For us, that included the remote for the stereo we don't use anyway, so the worst effect was the melted plastic smell. So it can happen to anyone; don't store anything in there that you wouldn't like to eat after you accidentally butt-dial your microwave.
The black enameled burner rings on the stove also vibrated out of their mountings and slithered around under the cover on Day 2's bad roads. Nothing was really damaged--though one burner had to be reconnected to its valve when its venturi tube vibrated off too--but the cosmetic damage to the brushed stainless finish wasn't appreciated. So now we take the burner rings off as part of our packdown checklist, something we didn't have to do on previous trips.
Tomorrow to and through Edmonton on our way to Jasper National Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2208268551.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	16102   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1874548407.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	16103  
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lee, WU0V, and Courtenay, N0ZDT
2011 Rockwood A128
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #25
I am really enjoying your daily summaries. I mentioned them to the DW and DDs today and we agreed that each of us will compose a daily summary of our experiences on our 3 week trip from Cleveland, Ohio to Glacier.

Can't wait to share our recaps with each other to compare which parts of the day really stood out for each of us.

Thanks for sharing your adventure and I wish you safe travels.
Kevin, Meg and DDx2
2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
2004 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 3.73 4x4
Days Camped 2012 = 42
Days Camped 2013 = 9 planned before April 1st
Local Ohio CGs - Punderson SP and West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #26
Sounds like so much fun... Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday day too.
Can't wait to read all about your travels.
Tom and Cathy
T12BH 2012
Forest River
Tomscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #27
good day well by now you can see that the wether can change in a blink of an eye up here in A.B. do hope you are injoying you travels how is your new storage working out I have made a new screen and will be posting details later for our unit it opens with the door to the out side Is Barkerville in your plans
jlroadmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #28
Mostly Harmless
Days 7 through 9, July 4 - 6

Wi-fi spots are getting more scarce, and thus my updates will get even more sporadic as we move through Alberta, British Columbia, and Yukon Territory. Our fallback wi-fi places have been McDonalds drive-ins, but those have become scarce too. That's too bad from a wi-fi standpoint but OK from a dietary view, as there's almost nothing at McD's that I can have, and I'm not too proud to admit that I love grease and cheese.
Another "problem" with keeping the log going is the immense beauty of the Jasper National Park area, where we've been since Wednesday afternoon. The Canadian Rockies are a describer's nightmare, as nearly every adjective I think of for them seems either overused or inadequate. They are relatively young mountains, which I infer from the fact that they're tall, sharp, and rugged. Not much sign of wear there. You can tell they're upthrust mountains from the formerly horizontal and close-spaced strata that now run just a few degrees from vertical. The Pacific Plate, subducting under the North American Plate, is still pushing them higher, I've heard.
It was rainy and cool for the first day and a half of this period. We slept all night in Vergreville in the rain (and trains laying on their horns), and left in the rain--pausing only long enough to photograph the famous egg I mentioned earlier. A long day's drive via Edmonton, a city of about 750,000, brought us finally into Jasper National Park, where we snagged a campsite at Whistler Campground. Although huge (over 700 campsites) and expensive ($28 a day for no hookups, plus $9/person/day park admission fee), the park is well laid out and apparently well-managed. Clean, modern restrooms (oops, gotta train myself to say "washrooms") dot the campground, and it's a pleasure to have hot water and flush toilets within a short walk of any campsite. The sites are all well-shaded and not cheek-by-jowl.
Yesterday it was still cool but getting nicer. We rode the aerial tram to the top of Whistler Mountain and got a spectacular view of the valley where we're camping and of the mountains around it. To plains dwellers like ourselves, these snow-capped peaks inspire awe on every side.
In the evening we drove to lovely Maligne Lake, which is fed from an annually-disappearing lake a few Km above it, Medicine Lake. Medicine Lake goes completely dry in the fall as its water drains into an underground river system. Every spring, meltwater refills it. Until the underground drainage was found, early peoples viewed its annual disappearance as "bad medicine," thus the lake's name.
After a cool overnight, today had turned out quite nice; fair skies and temps in the lower 70's. We drove 100 km down the Icefields Parkway, first to Athabaska Falls and then to the Columbia Icefields and a tour of the Athabaska Glacier. I recommend both places, but bring money for the glacier tour, it's not cheap.
Tomorrow we head back east a few miles to catch highway 40, The Bighorn Highway, to Grande Prairie and Dawson Creek, where the Alcan officially begins and we start consulting The Milepost, our guide to the rest of the trip.
A few observations on the trip so far:
1) Every Canadian we've met and interacted with has been polite and helpful.
2) The forests here appear to be very healthy and green. The decimation caused by the Pine Bark Beetle in the Black Hills, for example, doesn't seem to have happened here. 3) I've never seen so many rented RVs in my life. It is apparently a very big business in these parts. Why mention it? Because I assume that a big percentage of rented units means a big percentage of inexperienced RV drivers. 4) Money goes out much faster than we predicted, even with nearly a year of preparation and costing out. 5) the proportion of Canadian drivers who believe speed limits are optional seems about the same as in the U.S. 6) When in Jasper, daily visits to the Bear's Paw Bakery are mandatory.

BTW, SINCE MOST OF THE TIME WE HAVE ONLY A FEW MOMENTS AT AN INTERNET ACCESS SITE, I ONLY HAVE TIME TO POST MY LOG AND A FEW PICS. I do read your comments, but can only answer from time to time when we find a camp with wifi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1175897136.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	16205   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1396519951.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	16206   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-595533286.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	16207   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3895571341.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	16208   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1749773861.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	16209  

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lee, WU0V, and Courtenay, N0ZDT
2011 Rockwood A128
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #29
thanks for this ... hoping to do a big trip like this ourselves in the spring .. going south instead of north. drive safe and enjoy our country .. and yours.

you may want to check this link ..
2008 Nissan Frontier 4x4
2011 Rockwood A122
D-mo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #30
Hey Hamguy keep the updates coming, we are enjoying them. Would like to know what kind of temperatures you are experiencing. I had 107 degrees on the truck today between Pella and Oskaloosa. Hope you are cooler where you are.

Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote