Old 07-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #81
Mostly Harmless

[QUOTE="Maranatha"]It sounds like your trailer has really been put through the ringer but overall has weathered the storm just fine. That gives me some degree of comfort as I get ready to purchase my A124 hardside.[QUOTE]

You'll do fine with the new camper. I probably shouldn't have tried to take it up the road, but left it at the junction where the Dempster starts. Evidently many do just that.

For those wanting to know the hinges I bought to replace the cheap cabinet door hinges, they're Amerock BP3429-G10. I bought two packs of two each for a total of about $8. They're a close enough replacement that I could put the same screws in the same holes, then I added a 3rd hinge centred between the other two.

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #82

Lee, great reminders for things to have.

In addition to a flashlight, I also have a headlamp (helps keep my handsfree when on night time poop patrol with my dogs) - since you were under your trailer, this may have been a wonderful asset for you?

I always check my spare tire, but also carry 2 cans of "Fix A Flat" - one for large truck tires, one for the trailer. If I know I am traveling with service stations few and far between, I carry my portable Wegan battery charger/compressor (always in my vehicle in the winter)

Instead of extra charger cords for my cell, GPS or Nook, I carry a 12v AC adaptor that I just plug into the trailer to recharge. Extra bungees, alligator clips, tie downs and stakes. Tarps are great for having to lay down when the ground is wet when checking under the unit...I usually carry at least 3 tarps - they fold flat, take up little room and are heaven sent on rainy or sunny hot days...of course a hammer and mallet...and the first aid kit if you miss. haha Duct tape and awning repair tape...I keep spare keys in a weatherproof lockbox that i attach to the trailer (or onthe cable securing my generator to the trailer) I also carry locks for the hitch and coupler

Look forward to discovering others bring along as their neccesities for road s.afety, operation and and set up needs.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #83

I am learning so much from Ham's thread. Thank you. I hope the people at FR are reading it. I just posted a new thread in the Admin section, which said:

Pls forward this info to manager in charge of A Frames.
Is there any way that you can make sure that a FR manager, who deals with the A Frame campers, is made aware of this great "A128 to Alaska Thread." They should be very proud of their construction since the unit is performing very well. Also, there have been some structural problems that the FR should be aware of. It would be interesting if someone from FR posted in the thread, especially about the microwave oven cabinet pulling away from the wall. Thank you. Here's the thread:

Iowa to Alaska with our A128
Old 07-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #84
Rockwood Premier A126

Pics from on top of the world...incredible! This earth and Mother Nature are just so amazing!

Thanks again for the descriptive posts and for taking time to share yours and Courtenay's trip of a lifetime with us. The whole read is so interesting. For us folks at home, it's also very informative about the aframe's construction, strengths and weaknesses.

Stay safe. I can't wait to hear more!

Deb
ps: In south central Illinois the heat has lessened somewhat (low to mid 90's) and some areas to the south and north have even had a little rain!

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #85
Mostly Harmless

Monday, July 30--The problem with the brakes was that the rear grease seals had become compromised as a result of there being too much grease in the hub. Grease escaped through the seals and got into the brake drum. A similar thing happened to Herk, I think.
I had been following the directions in the AL-KO manual for how to keep the hubs full of grease. You're to add it until you can just see it oozing toward you. According to the shop owner at my servicing this morning, that puts too much grease in there, causing enough pressure buildup that it blows through the seals. The mechanic commented that the magnets are fine, just a little wear showing, and the brake shoes (though they've had grease on them and it'll take some wear before they regain their full friction) still have over 60% of their linings left. So there's nothing wrong with the brakes mechanically. That was good news.
Note that I'm not suggesting to anyone that they stop following AL-KO's lubing instructions. Maybe I did it wrong, after all. I'm sure they'd say that. I'm just telling what one RV mechanic with 30 years' experience told me.
Anyway, this evening we're at a private RV park a mile outside the entrance to Denali. We didn't make reservations beforehand, partly because I didn't know how involved this morning's repair would be, and also because the agent at the BLM's Fairbanks office said they weren't necessary at this time of year. Wrongamundo. This place is wall-to-wall.
We CAN get in tomorrow to the campground just inside the gate, then we'll move on Wednesday to our preferred CG some 30 miles inside the park, where we'll stay through Friday night. We got the bus passes, called Tek passes, which will let us ride deeper into the park each day we're there. The first day we're guaranteed seats on the bus, but the other days' passage is on a space-available basis but otherwise without extra charge. It's amazingly beautiful, Courty says to add.
So, at the risk of tempting Fate, it appears that all is well this evening.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 07-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #86
Mostly Harmless

Court's July 30 addendum: Mostly Fairbanks was a rest, restock and repair stop for us, but we did our share of sightseeing. Our favorite stop was the museum of the north at the university of Alaska. Wonderful art and very interesting cultural and historic displays. Also great films on the aurora and daily life in the north. The building itself is spectacular, sitting atop a hill overlooking the city. A surprising fact we learned--about twenty percent of Fairbanks' residents live in dry cabins or houses, meaning they have no running water. It doesn't take long in the north to remember that the things we take for granted are really luxuries we can do without, as one recent Arizona transplant told us.

This morning while Lee saw to the brake repair, I took one last trip above the Arctic circle. I have fallen in love with the Arctic--the land, the people and the vastness--so we arose at 5 AM and I caught the daily mail flight to the village of Anutuvak in Anutuvak pass. Airports and planes make up much of Alaska's "highway" system. About half of Alaskans live beyond the road system. To increase revenues Warbelow Air offers seats on mail flights to tourists and offers some tours in cooperation with the native villagers. The tour was more expensive than the ride, so I went up and back. How can I describe the awesomeness of this land. Within a few moments of leaving Fairbanks, all signs of man seem to disappear--all that is except for the Alaska pipeline and the Dalton highway which supports it. Water seems to run everywhere. Streams snake their way back and forth, small pools catch the sun, glistening like mirrors. We followed the pipeline for a while, crossed the mighty Yukon river, then made our way to the pass. What an experience! Our pilot took us low, banking and swerving to show us grizzlies and small herds of caribou (the males begin the migration and the females follow in a few weeks. Some 700,000 caribou will move through this pass in the next month). As we flew between the mountains dipping near the ground, then soaring to the peaks, I finally understood the sheer joy my father found in flying. A WW II navy pilot and the son of one our countries first WW I aviators, he tried to pass this passion on to me when I was young, but I was destined to remain a passenger. Dad, wherever you may be, I get it now.

Suddenly on the tundra, a small settlement came into view; several dozen houses, a landing strip and some community buildings make up the town of Anutuvuk (which means something like "the place of caribou leavings"). On the flight back, the pilot and I were joined by a young mother taking her baby to a doctor's appointment in Fairbanks. She would be back that evening on a return flight. A sign of the times, she immediately pulled out her iPhone and started texting. Turns out AT&T has signal beyond the Arctic circle.

What a thrill to have this experience. I will find my way back to the Arctic. It is a special place, filled with life. It has the same mystical feeling that I find now and then riding across the prairies, but more immediate, more palpable. There is a sense of the vastness of time and space and the brevity of our human lifetime. For tens of thousands of years and beyond, the earth has warmed and cooled, ice has come and gone, great seas have emerged, only to disappear again, animals have lived, died and gone extinct, people have come and gone. What a mystery is the earth we inhabit and what a privilege to experience it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-517179384.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	17337   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-833009163.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	17338   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3742503256.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	17339   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1925348791.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	17340   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-376869079.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	17341  

60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 07-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #87

I really enjoy your reports and photos, thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #88

Man, This is the adventure of a lifetime!

This is the true definition of an "Adventure".

By the way, how is your wife faring through all of this?

1) Along for the ride?
2) Leading the charge?
3) Why don't they have any nail salons in this forsaken place?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #89
Mostly Harmless

Definitely leading the charge. It was her idea to do the Dempster. When we used to sail, she'd be the one to take the boat out by herself when others were calling it quits because of too much wind. During our motorcycling years she was always enthusiastic for the open road. She was the first to take scuba lessons. As I've slowed down, she hasn't. She's the one who wants us to go deeper into Denali, where the Grizzlies are. But I guess I can't complain...it was that urge for adventure that got her to choose ME!

As were being tossed around like popcorn in the popper on the Dempster and I was growling about what it was doing to our equipment, she kept telling me to think of it as an adventure. Now when she's freezing here in the mornings (a balmy 42F this morning, cooler later in the week) I get to tell her what an adventure she's having. Revenge is best served cold.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 07-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #90

I understand your line of thinking. Yesterday, I ordered my wife a brand new generator. A while back she wanted an old raggedy Jeep. Well she got one. A year ago she wanted a husband, well she got one. She now wants a pop up trailer (A124). Now she has the responsibilty (or blame) if anything goes wrong.

Carry on...

Tags
a128