Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #161

Your blessings have been many. Thank you for sharing so much of your life and your deepest thoughts and awe inspiring photos. You have touched so many of us in different ways. We pray for your friend also.
2lvrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #162
Mostly Harmless

I know there are some former T@b owners on the forum so when I saw this unit in the campground I had to show it to you. Jeep lovers will like their TV too! The brand of the camper is T@B Daddy. This particular unit is 3 years old and stored outside in Minnesota winters. The turquoise color really sets it off, and the shape makes everything else in the CG look clunky.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1771197690.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	18968

There's a screen door in the unit that rolls up sideways by spring action. Evidently they're (the screen doors) not made any longer, but if we could locate one it'd be perfect for our AFrames if we could make it fold or set it up so it was detachable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2045866141.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	18967   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1891674501.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	18969   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1314102950.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	18970   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3438088104.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	18971  
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #163

That's an awesome rig. Thanks for sharing your trip with us and describing everything so eloquently. Many prayers for your friend. We can put a man on the moon, but we can't find a cure.......hopefully soon.
keep camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #164
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGus
thehamguy1- I've read everyone of your postings and enjoyed the pictures. I've taken many notes. I've enjoyed your trip vicariously and now I hope to enjoy Alaska in reality. I'm planning a similar trip next year. You have paved the trail for me! Thank you for all the time you put into this.
And when you go, be sure to blog it for us!
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 08-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1
Thanks to everyone for the support and the kind words. We are fortunate to have been able to make this trip and it seems a bit unreal to find we are just 2 or 3 days from home, depending on how hard we want to push ourselves. Tonight we're in Buffalo, WY, at Deer Park Campground, a delightful place so friendly and inviting that we may decide to back off a bit from the drive to get home and stay here through the weekend.
Last night we were also at a fine campground, Camp Three Forks at Three Forks, WY. As we drove along today looking for a place to stay we began to lament that we'd left that peaceful place. But Courty, bless her, stopped at a place where the wi is fi and did some searching online. There are 3 CGs in Buffalo but she liked the looks of this one so we called ahead to see if they had any openings. They did, in fact there are plenty of empty sites even yet this evening. it's hard to understand why; this place is great. Later this evening they have their nightly ice cream social--bring a bowl, a buck, and a spoon and dig in. There's even a hot tub! I may never get Court on the road again!
I have thoroughly enjoyed your adventure, I have checked everyday for an update. Your writings are exciting and couldn't wait for the next. I have written several thousand word articles published in trade magazines and none of them hold a candle to what you have written!

Suggest you compile the pics and writings and send to RV lifestyle type publications, they will publish it, no money in it (trust me, i know but not the reason for writing) but nothing like seeing your name in print.

If you need any assistance in getting it published pm me, got some experience in that.
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #166
Mostly Harmless

As you may have guessed, we're home now. We arrived mid-afternoon on Monday, Labor Day. We've spent the last 4 days getting settled back into the routine, sorting through a foot high stack of mail, starting to clean the truck and camper, etc. Court spent the better part of two days helping her ill friend. Our almost 14-year-old dog--Bear, short for Carebear--remembered us and was happy we were home, although she let it be known that she also loves the dog sitter and thinks we should adopt her.
We kept track of expenses so we would know when we were too broke to keep going. Now on cold winter nights we can sit around and make summaries of the stats. For instance, in 69 days we traveled 10,535 miles and spent over $2,700 for gasoline (more than we spent for food!). We averaged almost exactly 15 MPG. Camping fees came to $1,360 for 68 nights, not counting the motel on the 3rd night of the trip when there were no camping spots to be had in Minot.
Attractions (museums, tours, galleries, etc.) came to almost $1,100; vehicle maintenance, $333 for the brake service in Fairbanks and the two oil changes we had. We spent about $23 a day on "miscellaneous," for goodness sake. $173 on coffee, but that was completely justifiable and makes the wisdom of having an espresso machine at home blindingly apparent.
Our credit card will need to be starched or something to make it useable again. It just lies there, panting pitifully. Meanwhile we get appreciative phone messages from Visa, thanking us for making them even more obscenely profitable than they were.
If you take a trip like this, my experience was that taking along travelers checks was a waste of effort. Many cashiers (teenagers especially) had never seen nor heard of them and didn't know whether they were accepted for payment. Even managers had to scratch their heads about it and then decide how to ring them up. On the other hand, both our ATM card and our credit card were processed without problems. Cash machines in Canada and Alaska didn't balk a bit, except at Esso stations in Canada, where the pumps didn't know what to make of a card without a chip in it. So we avoided those when we could; other oil companies were happy to take our money.
The whole trip was memorable, but my favorite places were Whitehorse, Dawson City, Jasper, Seward, Homer and Seldovia. Anyplace on the Kenai, actually. We liked Yukon Territory a lot, and the scenery in British Columbia was mostly spectacular and never less than great. Alaska state parks were nice to stay in, as were territorial parks in the Yukon. I'd do the Top of the World Highway again. I'd go back to Buffalo, Wyoming, again. That little town, packed with history, really appealed to me.
Courty undoubtedly has her own favorites list and may want to get a word in here and there so stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-997294020.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	19232  
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 09-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #167

Lee and Courtenay, we have followed your trip from start to end. Really enjoyed the writing and great pictures. Thanks for sharing your adventure .. We will miss the daily update as your trip progressed.

all the best in your next camping trip where ever that may be.
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #168

Thank you for sharing your adventure, photos and thoughts on the trip of a lifetime. Best wishes for your friend and many blessing to you both.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #169
Mostly Harmless

Courtenay's list: Well, I loved going to Inuvik up the Dempster. Despite the rough road, it was incredibly beautiful and remote. Meeting and talking to people in the community greenhouse and the art show gave me a feel for this civic-minded little community at the top of the world. One thing I observed was how seemingly ordinary the most remote places could feel from the point of view of the folks who live there. What seemed exotic to us was everyday life for them.

Camping on the return trip in Tombstone Territorial Park was nearly perfect and deserves a return visit and a longer stay and longer hikes.

I loved crossing rivers on the ferries. There's something about pulling onto a boat with a half a dozen cars and trucks and a handful of walk-ons that never grew old. Rain or shine those northern rivers are magnificent.

All those Canadian cultural centers tripped my trigger and peaked my curiosity. All the interesting people we met and the great conversations we had added spice to the trip.

I loved everything on Lee's list. Oh, and he forgot to mention the Tustemena smokehouse on the Kenai. That had to be our favorite food stop of the whole trip. We hit it coming and going on the Homer road. Ending a day on the road with a fresh salad and smoked salmon can't be beat.

One sure thing on my list for our next Alaska trip is a ferry down the Aleutian islands to the very tip. That takes you to Kodiak island and far beyond. More favorites? Bird rookeries, whales, sea otters, seals and of course those amazing bears. The Beringia center in Whitehorse, the mail plane ride through Anatuvak pass... okay, okay, I'll stop here.

One thing to think about as you plan your own trip. This land is vast, many of the roads are rough and roadwork is common. It takes longer to travel between points than you'd imagine and then there are those fascinating stops. Ten weeks sounds like a long time. It is and it isn't. The road kept beckoning us on around the next bend, to the next unknown point. Next time we'll stay longer in fewer places. Yes, next time ...

Here ends this log.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 09-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #170

Welcome back to Iowa. You missed some very hot whether. You must have brought down some cool Canadian air on your way back. I have really enjoyed following your travels. It makes me want to go back and see it again myself. Doesn't look like that will happen with what costs to travel now days. Let us know more about how the A frame held up, I am sure all of us owners would like to know.
Thanks for sharing your adventure
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #171

Welcome back. What a wonderful adventure for the two of you. I am glad you had a safe trip. Thank you for documenting your journey and supplying the terrific photos.

Dave

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Here ends this log.
Thank you both for this. That was an enjoyable and informative read.
I'll echo Dave's sentiment on your safe return.

If you're back up that way again next year, I hope we get a chance to meet.
(just east of Dawson City, there's a little gas station and this dirt road that heads off to the north....naww....)
Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #173

I cannot thank you enough for sharing your thoughts, time and photos. I could only begin to dream on a vacation so superb as yours. As said before please consider sharing your Alaska Adventures with some publisher or video etc. and may you hold these dear memories close to your hearts but with willingness to share with all who will listen to your great tales of the wilderness.
2lvrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #174

I also want to thank you and the DW for your trip reports, I enjoyed them very much. I also am glad you returned home safe and you have now memories that you both will never forget.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #175

I found this thread a few days ago while looking for info on doing a trip from Illinois to Alaska with an A-frame camper. Joined the forum in order to match the pictures to your words. My trip will be in June of 14. Your narrative reinforced my need to go. Thank you for the great story.
JalopyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #176
Mostly Harmless

You definitely have to go! We want to do it again but will have to save major bucks to afford it. I wouldn't take my Aframe all the way up the Dempster again but would take it the first 40 miles up to Tombstone Territorial Park. A beautiful place! If you do go, there are several Canadian Aframers I should introduce you to. They're all on this forum so you may run into them yourself!
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator

Tags
a128