Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

Is an Extended Protection Policy worth the money?

We just picked up our new 2014 Flagstaff T12DDST last Friday and we are having a blast getting it ready for our first trip. I am wondering if the extended protection policy is worth the money and has anyone found that it has paid off? Our dealer uses the Extra Ride Service Agreement Program. I hate to spend the money on something I may never use. Thanks for any advise!
raejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #2

If anything the forest river 2nd year is likely the best value. For me, I opted for none as I'm pretty handy for most typical repairs. The 1 year should shake out any major problems.

Your mileage may vary...
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Always Learning

It's a crapshoot. It's much like insurance - it's only worth it if you use it AND you generally hope to not have to use it.

Most people who opt out of them will tell you, take the money that you spend on it and put it aside into an account so that you have a bucket to go to when you need RV repairs. Then, if you don't use it, you don't lose the money.

That said, there are a handful of folks who do get it and do use it.

It's a crapshoot and only you can decide if it's right for you.

For me, I couldn't justify the money (even when I mistakenly had the loan company cut a check for $2,000 more than the camper and had to get a refund from my dealer). I put that money into other stuff for the camper and so far so good. I've only owned this camper for 9 months or so so far.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
If anything the forest river 2nd year is likely the best value. For me, I opted for none as I'm pretty handy for most typical repairs. The 1 year should shake out any major problems.

Your mileage may vary...
The second year, if offered should always be gotten. It's too cheap not to!

I found out about it too late.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #5

I got the additional year for $100- but only because it was inexpensive. Husband has remodeled our previous 2 motorhome and a travel trailer, so I have zero concerns for mechanical, interior or appliances. My concerns were with any problems in the category I term "foundational" such as the frame, exterior walls, floor, etc.

The FR one year additional warranty covers suspension, frame, sub floor, exterior sidewalls, bunk base & frame, interior cabinet frame/face/sides AND it provides parts and labor protection against manufacturing defects with parts, freight covered for first 3 years. (Be aware of listed exclusions in the standard warranty)

Appliances and other products are individually covered by the manufacturer.

My advice to anyone is to keep a copy of the bill of sale with the individual warranties in a binder as these manufacturers will want to see a copy of it to honor repairs.

In all the years we have owned multiple RVs, the only appliance replacement was a refrigerator. Thank goodness that was covered by warranty because (back then) that motorhome fridge was under 2k.

Warranties are great 'insurance' for the unseen - as long as the unseen happens in the time warranted and as long as owner has done proper maintenance as recommended by manufacturer.

PS - Congrats on your new addition! Look forward to seeing some pictures and reading about your adventures.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raejay View Post
We just picked up our new 2014 Flagstaff T12DDST last Friday and we are having a blast getting it ready for our first trip. I am wondering if the extended protection policy is worth the money and has anyone found that it has paid off? Our dealer uses the Extra Ride Service Agreement Program. I hate to spend the money on something I may never use. Thanks for any advise!
If you get the extra additional year warranty from Forest River for $100-$125. You must get the form back to them within the 1st few weeks of ownership. This is only for trailers and 5th wheels.
Look around for the form or contact Forest River ASAP to get it emailed to you.

DO NOT BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM THE DEALER.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #7

FR 2nd year warranty is a no brainer for the price.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #8

Agree with what everyone else has said. Second year warranty from Forest River is a must. I asked my dealer about it, they gave me a form with all of my info already printed out on it. All I had to do was write a check and sign it.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #9

I got 7 years of bumper to bumper warranty plus Tire/Rim hazard warranty, 0 deductible, $50 deductible if work is done elsewhere in Canada/USA for $799. I think this is worth it, about $125 a year insurance, 7 years of worry free RVing, priceless. Any repairs anywhere will be paid by them over the phone to the service shop, not like me paying first then make a claim.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #10

They offer them because they make money for the dealership and the manufacturer, if they didn't, they would not offer them. I generally don't go for warranties.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
If you get the extra additional year warranty from Forest River for $100-$125.

for that price
I would think that everyone would buy it

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #12

The warrenty I purchased from FR was 100 bucks .. and covers flooring cabinatry dellamination of the sides and the roof. It is a none transferable lifetime warrenty for the origional owner ... i may have gotten the lifetime due to the timing of the purchase .. March 2011 ... when these trailers were first introduced.

d-mo
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #13

Same here, DMo...lifetime parts and labor, freight covered for first 3 yrs. Exclusions in standard warranty apply.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
Mostly Harmless

Man! My dealer never even mentioned this! Dagnab it.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Man! My dealer never even mentioned this! Dagnab it.
Neither did ours, the skunks!
Eh, *shrug* we got a pretty good OTD price, so...

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
They offer them because they make money for the dealership and the manufacturer, if they didn't, they would not offer them. I generally don't go for warranties.
The real question about insurance to my mind is how much of the payment go to cover possible future repairs and how much goes to the sales commission. Extended warranties of almost all types have hefty sales commissions and therefore substantially overprice the actual benefit expected under the policy. One indicator of high prices on policies the auto dealers sell is the willingness of the finance guy to cut the price if you say "no" a few times. Nevertheless, the policy can be worthwhile if you are planning to use the trailer more often and rougher than average. For an average weekender, camping once once or twice a month, I wouldn't bother.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #17

Hmm...

So I get a letter in the mail today from the RV dealer.
In it, they are offering me an extended warranty for 6 years for $2,575 (plus GST).
There is a $50 deductible (waived if I take the unit to the original dealer) and if I make no claims in those 6 years, I get $1,950 refunded.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #18

Its like any insurance policy, there are winners and there are losers. The people who sell the warranties win more than they lose, or they wouldn't be in business. This means that there are more buyers on the losing side than on the winning side. So you're playing the laws-of-averages, which say you probably won't get your money's worth. If you read through all your warranties on your major components, you will find that most cover their product for at least 2 years, some even longer. So I fix the simple things myself, and will use the dealer for things I can't handle, which hasn't happened yet.
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Don View Post
Hmm...

So I get a letter in the mail today from the RV dealer.
In it, they are offering me an extended warranty for 6 years for $2,575 (plus GST).
There is a $50 deductible (waived if I take the unit to the original dealer) and if I make no claims in those 6 years, I get $1,950 refunded.
Wow that is too much $$$, I got a similar deal with my last car for 7 years bumper to bumper for $1800, I had no claim for 6 years but in the last year I had over 10k of repairs and my car was 4x the cost of an A-Frame.

My current rig warranty is the cost of the difference of the no claim plus I got tire/rim hazard insurance, both for 7 years.

Scam...no deal...lol
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The second year, if offered should always be gotten. It's too cheap not to!

I found out about it too late.
Our dealer didn't offer it to us, so this is the first we'd heard about a 2nd year warranty. We called Rockwood and they sent the form to us. We've gone over the stated 10 day limit, but they assured us we have 30 days. I'm very glad we joined this group!
2013 Rockwood A122S
elmonsanto is offline   Reply With Quote