Old 07-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #1
Is there an adjustment to help

raise the roof of an A frame?

It seems that mine is taking a little more effort to lift up, but maybe I am aging...

mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #2
It's not just you. The spring assist seems to lose assist over time. Try the old trick of using the legs to do the work.

And do check out the springs to make sure there is no problem there.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:37 AM   #3
Yep, the springs get tired over time. WD usually has me assist when she tries it solo and it doesn't work after the first couple of tries. She also stands on a small step stool, but balance can be an issue.

Sometimes, I'll open both latches, and push up a little at the end (what would be the highest part of peak) to break it loose. That gives me a little head start when I push at the handle.
Mark and Dawn
2014 a122s
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:58 AM   #4
Is there an adjustment to help

Yes, there is; it's called by various names, -wife, spouse, partner! I have found my A122 hard to get up and down occasionally but, usually, having the above-mentioned assistant on the other side of the trailer lifting with me makes a big difference. I can do it by myself, but working together is more fun. Seriously, I once saw a short woman raise her A-liner roof by using a long pole with a piece of foam rubber on the end. It seemed to work very well for her. She got the roof up part way, then pushed on the ceiling with the pole and had it up in no time. I think what she had was a converted sponge mop.

2016 Rockwood A 213 HW
2016 Honda Odyssey
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
try lubricating the roof guilds that are on each side, of the front panel.
my unit still goes up like the day it was new ... but i aways lubricate these once a year.

2008 Nissan Frontier 4x4
2011 Rockwood A122
D-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
What do you use to lubricate?
Clift and Carol Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
Arrow Well, I did some looking around

and found some "rough spots" on the guide rails, as was suggested.

There is a rounded edge on the roof edges of the rear roof half that can work like a battering ram on the front roof rails when the roof is disengaged to lower it. Right...

Guess I should have taken some pics, but I will briefly explain my novice findings.

When you lift to disengage the roof for lowering, if you do not hold up the forward half(where the lift handle is), then the rear half proceeds to lower first, under the forward half and then hit the front roof rails. Problem is that if the forward half is also lowering somewhat, then the battering rams of the rear half impact the forward half rails hard enough to roughen it up.

Suggested solution:

1. Make a sanding block about 1" wide and sand the rough spots as smooth as you can get them.

2. Oil the rails. I used some motor oil on a small rag. Oil the battering rams.

3. To prevent any future battering of the rails, when you lift up the disengage handle to lower the roof, hold up that half for a couple of seconds until you see the rear half fall to where the battering rams will not hit the forward roof half rails. Then let the front half lower with everything.

Some white tough-up paint can be included prior to lubing.

It's working(raising) much better now.

I noticed a piece of hard white plastic tape on one of the rails, indicating that somebody might have put that there to cover up a "rough spot". Hmmmmm...

mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote