Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #1

Question Jayco or Forest River A-Frame A122BH

I'm trying to decide which one to go with. They look some what similar. We are looking at the A122BH model with the front Bike rack on it. Checking to see what everyone thoughts and concerns with both models are. Thanks.
NWA Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #2

first post welcome to the forum this is the place to get your questions answered. My advice is forget about the factory brochures and go and spend some time in both, when I say the more then a few minutes. Pretend you are camping and see how each fits then make the decision on which will work the best for what you want to do. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA Arkansas View Post
I'm trying to decide which one to go with. They look some what similar. We are looking at the A122BH model with the front Bike rack on it. Checking to see what everyone thoughts and concerns with both models are. Thanks.
One thing to keep in mind is that Forest River has been in the A-Frame game a few years longer than Jayco. I believe Jayco has actually dropped their A-Frame line.
Brimare57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
first post welcome to the forum this is the place to get your questions answered. My advice is forget about the factory brochures and go and spend some time in both, when I say the more then a few minutes. Pretend you are camping and see how each fits then make the decision on which will work the best for what you want to do. JMHO
X 2 later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #5

We looked at Jayco when shopping for our a frame. It didn't have the fit and finish of the Rockwood and just felt "cheap" overall.
Jodilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
Dr Travel

Rockwood. Rockwood. Rockwood.
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #7

Jayco v. Flagstaff

I suppose everyone has had good and bad experiences with both brands. All I know is that my friend bought a Jayco and I bought a Forest River Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS at the same time. I had defects and repair issues within months of purchase; my friend's Jayco is still in show room condition. His RV dealer walked him through his purchase and answered his questions before taking his money; my dealer took my money and ran. I needed roadside assistance and Coach -Net was useless. My electric awning and TV antenna completely blew off on the interstate, both secured, and Forest River said I must have crashed into something or otherwise done something wrong. It wouldn't even replace a defective converter/charger that blew up within the first month of purchase. I have learned that you get what you pay for, and buyer beware, in the RV business. Also, it helps greatly to be a Do It Yourselfer.
Hector517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #8

I really love my Flagstaff T12RBST (Same as A122BH, different dealer franchise). So far 5000K miles and 60 days camping. The only problem has been the large skylight has leaked, even after 2 repair attempts. If you can wait for a special-order unit, I would recommend deleting the skylights and going with solid roofs. BTW, I am not the only owner with this problem.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #9

I don't know Jayco's commitment to the A Frame. I do know that Forest River has A Frames in the Rockwood and Flagstaff lines under the Forest River brand, as well Clipper and Viking lines in the Coachmen brand and Palomino and Real-Lite under the Palomino brand. Three or four years ago they did not have this large of a lineup. Admittedly, most of them are identical in floor plans, but having so many brands available will increase the number of dealers with FR A frame lines available and hopefuly maintenance expertise.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #10

We couldn't be happier with our Flagstaff T21QBHW .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	114197  
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #11
Jack of All Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
So far 5000K miles and 60 days camping.
WOW! Five million miles in 60 days

Over 83,000 miles a day!

If your driving only 8 hours a day, that's 10,500 miles an hour! You must have one heck of a truck - must be rocket powered.

Don't you know trailer tires are only good for 65 MPH.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA Arkansas View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. Last summer I was in the same position Rockwood or Jayco, the dealer carried both but didn't have to many Aframe models in stock. I wanted one with the large toy hauler deck that would haul an aluminum trailer with my inflatable zodiac boat on it. Both brands used similar quality products inside, was hard to tell them apart on the inside. I went with the Jayco 12HFD due to the front deck was larger and it came with their baja package which included 15" aluminum wheels. Jayco includes a two year warranty, and lifetime warranty on the floor and roof. Only problem I had in the first year was the mattress stitching came apart and the small vent on the HWT cover blew off somewhere, all I did was send the salesman pictures and he ordered both and had them shipped to me, nice since he is two hours away. And no Jayco is not getting out of the Aframe market, they have several new floor plans for 2017.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:34 AM   #13

If you go onto the Jayco site, you will note that A-Frame availability is limited to what dealers have in stock.

Starcraft (a division of Jayco) is no longer producing A-Frames. My guess is that with Thor's recent aquisition of Jayco, they may have decided to discontinue their manufacture as well (evidenced by only offering dealer stock on hand). Years ago I looked at an upcoming line of new trailer models that never materialized... the model was discontinued despite the printed brochure I received. LOL - in the rv world things can come and go rather quickly.

Ensure you'll receive long term support for your type of trailer should you need it. It would be one of those buyer beware things...

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #14

I also noticed on Jayco's website that while there is a brochure for the 2016 a frames, there is no brochure for 2017. The only 2017 pop up brochure I see listed is the Jay sport, no a frames at all.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #15

I'm also in NWA, and I have the Forest River A122S. I absolutely love it!

Audi Q5 + 2015 A-122S = happy camper!

Tags
forest river, frame, a122, a122bh, a-frame