Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #1

Jeep quandary

I have a two door Jeep Wrangler that is rated to tow 2000 pounds. I want to buy a Rockwood a214 which is roughly 3500 pounds. Here is the dilemma. A four door Jeep Wrangler is rated to tow 3500 pounds. Only difference between them is the wheelbase. I'm wondering if I could use my existing Jeep to tow 20 miles or so on paved roads and perhaps 5 miles on maintained dirt roads. Anybody have any first-hand experience or advise?

-Greg
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #2
Site Team

I would not do it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #3

I wouldn't do it. Those numbers are capacities, not recommendations. Why take a chance being a hazard on the road and risking damage to the car and others that are on the road or with you.

Suppose a 300 lb friend wanted to zip line a 500 ft course on a cable that had a 250 lb weight capacity...would you advise them to lie about their weight so they could experience an adventure?

In other words, Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #4

If you were to have an accident and your insurance company discovered what you were trying to do, it is likely that you would lose your insurance coverage.

kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #5

It's Never can you tow it, it's Always can you stop it!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
Broken Toe

For the love of God, yourself, your family and the poor person you will eventually wreck into...

DO NOT DO IT! That extra wheelbase is the key. Without it, you are setting yourself up for tragedy.

Despite low speeds/short distance you are planning... if the tail starts wagging the dog (and one little mistake in loading and screwing up your tongue weight WILL give you the death wobble) the short wheelbase will mean your corrections (steering/braking) have to be minutely small and inhumanly accurate. Unless you have the reflexes and skills of a pro-rally driver, you will be "behind" the vehicle, and your adjustments will amplify the problem, not reduce them.

Its bad ju-ju all around. Please buy, borrow or steal a capable truck if simply must haul this unit.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #7
194'er

I have a Rockwood 194 HW, I have pulled my a frame with a 2000 Jeep Wrangler just to see how it would do, well let me tell you I'll never do it again. The jeep has such a short wheel base all it wants to do is sway back and forth. Even with a WD hitch, it really sat the back end of the jeep down. It was just a test, I normally tow with my truck, but like I said I just wanted to try it out. I've never been one to tell other people what to do, but I would strongly suggest not pulling the camper with a Jeep Wrangler, even the four door Jeep weight limit is right at he maximum. To each is own, I suppose
Jaydubya81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydubya81 View Post
I have a Rockwood 194 HW, I have pulled my a frame with a 2000 Jeep Wrangler just to see how it would do, well let me tell you I'll never do it again. The jeep has such a short wheel base all it wants to do is sway back and forth. Even with a WD hitch, it really sat the back end of the jeep down. It was just a test, I normally tow with my truck, but like I said I just wanted to try it out. I've never been one to tell other people what to do, but I would strongly suggest not pulling the camper with a Jeep Wrangler, even the four door Jeep weight limit is right at he maximum. To each is own, I suppose
Thanks....great advice from all. I'm convinced. Will likely be buying a Buick Enclave to tow it. Planning two month long trips throughout the year, starting this Fall.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene View Post
Thanks....great advice from all. I'm convinced. Will likely be buying a Buick Enclave to tow it. Planning two month long trips throughout the year, starting this Fall.

A SUV?

Just so you know, most folks who tow RVs do so with a truck.

In a lot of cases --if you are like a lot of RV owners --you will probably outgrow the travel trailer you have now in a year or two.

Just some food for thought.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:55 PM   #10

Lol - Bamabob! We started big with a 34' coach and 10 yrs later, downsized thrice and last summer added the 30' vintage coach to the mix. I doubt I'll ever give up my A-Frame & spouse won't part with his truck camper, they give us a solo get away. Me with the womens camp group and he on his fishing trips. Who knows where the old coach will fit in...but hey, it's a cool rig! Haha

Dene, stay safe. Before you get the SUV, you might check out crew cab trucks. Mine is like an SUV with the seating in the cab & never have to worry about weight when towing an A-Frame. Lol

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:54 AM   #11

Jeep quandary

I've owned 5 RV's of various shapes and sizes. I found that I prefer to haul the smallest I can tolerate. The less I own, the less owns me. My reason for wanting the Buick is "quietest" and comfort, specially when I go back-and-forth between Arizona and Oregon...with or without the trailer.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #12

My SUV will tow just fine and it's parked beside my pickup. My Grand Cherokee has a 3L diesel engine and has a 7200# tow rating, it tows our a-frame like it's not even there. I moved my (empty) 28' box trailer (4000#s) an hour down the road back home when I bought it with this Jeep, hauled it like a champ.
I once owned a 03' Liberty, it was rated for 5000#. It towed our 25' TT (3750#) with ease.
Stick with the vehicle's tow rating.
As far as progressing into a larger camper goes....our family (Wife, son, and myself), tent camped, travel trailer, sold the TT, cross country tent camped, tent camped 7 more years, and we're in a a-frame now but still tent camp from time to time. The gradually getting a bigger camper is a story you hear at the Mega RV dealer...it's all about job security.
BeardedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote