Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #1

Just picked up an A122BH...first problem

Hi All,

Been lurking for a bit and really appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this board. Recently took the plunge and bought an A122BH. The family and I have been using a 2000 Dutchmen 1204 (pop-up) but got tired of the hassle of the set-up. The A-frame sets ups so much easier. Anyway, I ran into my first problem today. I drained the antifreeze solution in the freshwater tank and had planned on sanitizing it. Part of my procedure was to fill and empty a couple of times. I was careful with the garden hose and filled the water until water came out of the vent. When I went to open the drain the second time I noticed that the tank had deformed and was slipping through the cross members that hold it in place. Dealer is 100 miles away and I don't think I want to drive like this. I am thinking about placing a pice of wood under the tank and use a bottle jack to get rid of more water from the low spot and then maybe pushing it back in place. Anyone else run into a problem like this? See pics below.

Bobicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Mostly Harmless

I've not heard of anyone having that happen with their A-frame hardsiders. Seems like that's a defective tank to me. Must have slipped through the inspection. Mine sags about an inch when full. I think your jack and plank idea is good. Sorry to hear you've had the problem, but it's better to get it fixed while the season isn't fully under way.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

As a part time RV tech, looks like a defective tank. Might get a couple of rolls of plumber's strap, the thin metal strap with 1/4" holes placed at 1/2" intervals, and see if you can add some straps under the tank. Be careful about drilling holes in the cross members and don't hit the tank, or run the screws in to the tank. May have to mount to a cross member that the tank is not near. Also at one end, just use a piece of short strap, 6 holes or so, then join with a long bolt, so you can tighten as needed, but don't over tighten.

Good Luck
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #4

My tank does nothing like that, as others said, just a little sag in the center with it full. I've towed it full one time (dry camped with no access to fill up once arrived) and had no issues. I could see your tank dropping if towed full, or even dropping while sitting still. I'd tow empty and keep an eye on it until you can have it in for warranty replacement.

On an unrelated note: Seems like you've got quite a bit of sag there in the rear of your JK and a lot of lift in the front. If you haven't already done so, I would consider looking into a WDH setup. I have a 2011 2 Door JK, and it's even more pronounced with my shorter wheelbase, so a WDH as a must. Really smooths out the ride and makes towing much nicer (and safer by getting that weight back on the front axle).

Here's a post from my thread last year regarding what I settled on:

Quote:
I've decided to go with a Reese Round Bar (#66065) WD Hitch and a shank that will allow me to get about 4 - 5 inches of total drop (current bar has a 2" drop and once I load the WD Hitch the total drop needed to be level will be between 3 and 5 inches in my estimate). By the way - I found the 66065 round bar WD Hitch (no shank) for a net cost of $203 at Advance Auto (currently having a 15% off any order of $100 or more). Add the shank and I'm coming in under $275 with free shipping.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback, as for as saying the tank is defective, would you think the plastic is "weak" and deforming too easily or more of a mounting problem?

Jeep4two, thanks for the heads up regarding rear sag, but I think it is a matter of camera perspective. I just installed a equalizer 6K WDH and the measurements before, when hooked up and then with the spring bars attched were spot on. (you can see the bars in the picture) I agree, the WD hitch helps quite a bit, although I will add this is a very nice towing trailer. When I brought it home form the dealer which is 100 miles a way there was quite a crosswind driving up the Sacramento Valley and this trailer had absolutlely zero sway. My pop-up would have been all over the place!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #6

These tanks needs a few middle supports to keep their shape. I dont see any at all on your pictures. On my minilite I have one middle support but the whole installation is very weak. You can see on the side where the brace is located that the tank is stressing. You can imagine without the brace I am sure that the tank would end up like your tank!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07031.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	11954  
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #7

After seeing your pic's I went out and looked at my tank and to my surprise, it did have a small bulge in the center. I called the dealer and spoke to the service manger and he said that the tank bottom should be flat with water or no water in the tank. That is the way they are designed, his words, not mine. He said he would order me a new tank and call me in about a week to replace it.
Sorry to hear of your tank problem and hope you get it resolved quickly.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobicon
Thanks for the feedback, as for as saying the tank is defective, would you think the plastic is "weak" and deforming too easily or more of a mounting problem?
I'd say its a case of the tank bottom not being thick enough. Whether the tanks are blow-molded or rotary-molded i don't know, but if there's not enough plastic injected into the mold to start with, you'll get a thin wall. Visual inspection at the factory might not show the problem so it could have slipped through. From the experience of others with the same A12x units, when the tank is installed in the intended spot no extra bracing is needed, though the suggestions for temp bracing until you can get back to the dealer sound wise. You might also try sending the photo of the sagging tank to the dealer and let him take it up in advance with FR. FR might like to take it up with the company they got the tank from. If the problem goes beyond your unit you could be doing a lot of future owners a favor, helping to catch the problem early.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 04-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #9

wow .. thats crazy ..
take'er back for a new tank .. there is no way for a fix for that or an explaination from the manufacturer .... thats just silly .. can you imagine if it ruptured on the highway??? definately a reciepe for disaster ..for all behind you and the lawsuits for the manufacturer ...

thanks for posting ... d-mo
Old 04-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #10

I have emailed pictures to the dealer I bought the A122BH from and they said they will forward the pictures on to Forest River. The tech said they had one other instance of a similar problem where they had the owner cut the tank with a knife to drain the water prior to moving the RV. I think I am going to back the passenger side up on a car ramp tonight to provide gravity to drain. Then again I don't know if it is worth the effort as something is obviously wrong with the tank. Hopefully, Forest River will be able to make a decision about course of action based on the pictures.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #11

I am currently going back and forth with the dealer on this issue. At first they said there should be a strap present, but I don't think that is the case. Looking at the fresh water tank, the only thing I beleives keeps it in placeis the front welded cross member and the rear screwed in cross member. The rear member is kept in place by what looks like two self-tapping scress that go into the main logitudinal frame. The water tank is essentially held in by the rotomolded "lips' that are secured by the cross members. Can anyone else verify the way in which their tank is connected. My dealer is currently balking at my request for a new tank. Appreciate any help.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
Mostly Harmless

Here are some shots I just took under my A128. The unit is a year and a half old and has traveled over 7000 miles. The tank is empty in these shots but my recollection of it when full is that it's basically unchanged. Hope this helps.

AND this is my 200th post! WooHoo! I'm a garrulous old coot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1378931951.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	12046   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4055345858.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	12047   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2531765998.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	12048  
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #13

I have read that some freshwater tanks are designed to do this, made for water storage more than water transport.... The top and sides are rigid but the bottom is somewhat flexible.

I don't travel with a full load of water in my A122 but if you were at all concerned, I would have a steel T-brace welded to the frame to create the support necessary and provide some peace of mind.

I only say this because it "may" not be a "defect" in the tank.
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #14

Just checked my tank. I have maybe 5 gallons of water in it and I have a little bit of sag going on...about a couple of inches in the bottom reservoir. I don't know how to post pics but it is about an inch below the top of the rear axle. My tank is mounted the same way your tank is. I am wondering if the top edge of your tank was not seated with enough overhang on top of the brace to allow for some flexing without the edge falling through when sufficient weight is applied..(in other words it falls off the lip where the bottom reservoir exerts pressure on the upper reservoir. allowing for significant sag). I'm going to make sure I check it out the next time I fill it up and I will be interested to hear any explanation you get from FR.

Oh, I almost forgot. There is also a piece of 1x2 wood slat in between the front of the tank and the front support cross piece to take out some of the slack between the two main support pieces...that could be your your problem right there if the wood slat was omitted.

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #15

seriously ... i have had two trailers with 20 gallon tanks .. a pup .. coachman clipper .. and this little jewel. In no way should these tanks distort like yours. My clipper tank did bow a bit .. like the one in the A122 ... but only an inch or so. We did travel with water for a while but found that the wieght was just not worth the effort. As loganmartin states ...this distortion effects the entire tank .. and will cause a drop/crash scenario. I have no shims or slats on the front of my tank ... she is just up there.

d-mo
Old 04-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #16

I maybe wrong here .. but i just looked at the origional posters 2nd pic and noticed that the tank may not be attached at the front to the framing/flooring. There seems to be a lip that is warped down towards the roadside ... someone want to give this another look to concur???

d-mo
Old 04-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
I maybe wrong here .. but i just looked at the origional posters 2nd pic and noticed that the tank may not be attached at the front to the framing/flooring. There seems to be a lip that is warped down towards the roadside ... someone want to give this another look to concur???

d-mo
yes..it has fallen through..that is what I was trying to explain...my guess..he needs a piece of wood to take out the slack...if the tank is not fatally warped at this point.

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #18

this bad boy is gone ... i must have misread a post or something .. cudos to you LM ..
To me .. there seems to be serious problems here .. as the front structure of the tank was not secured .. causing the the bow in the tank. We all know how these campers are built .. ground up, so an issue like that is not fixed up to factory specs with a couple of crossmembers and so on.
Bobicon .. please keep us updated on how this plays out with your dealer.

D-mo
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #19

If your dealer is giving you the run around, then I would give Forest River a call to their Customer Service. When it really comes to service, your dealer should be on your side, but more than often, they are not. When I called my dealer about my tank sagging, they ordered a tank without even looking at mine. They said they where there to make me a satisfied customer. Satisfied customers are a dealers best advertizment. Good Luck with your tank.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #20

Hey thanks everyone for the pics and info . I spoke with the head tech at the dealer and he said the tank was basically pinched in between the two cross members. The rear is adjustable and he speculated that it was not installed forward enough to hold the tank in place. He says there are no screws attached to the subfloor. He said I could bring it down 100 miles for them to look at or move the brace myself to secure the tank in. I think I will try and take it apart this weekend.

Tags
a122, a122bh