Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Chief65

Kayak racks and bike racks

Looking for options for carrying my two kayaks and two bikes on our Rockwood A192HW. I can put the bikes in the truck but it would be nice to stow them in a rack. Any advice for manufactured or after market or home design is appreciated.

Rick
2014 Rockwood A192HW
2014 Toyota tacoma 4x4
Richard Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #2

Given the construction of my a-frame roof sections (2014 Rockwood A122), I would not be mounting anything to a roof panel. Even the roof frame (metal edge) is pretty light construction to carry kayaks or bikes. Notice that the air conditioner is NOT mounted on the roof panels on an A-frame - even though it would cool better there.

The rear bumper is also pretty flimsy on my unit, so that's out too.

Which leaves something mounted on the tongue as a possibility - but mine's already full with batteries and propane tanks and tongue jack.

The model with the cargo deck is really your best bet - but only if the kayaks are short enough.

just my thoughts and experiences, yours may differ
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #3

I saw a neat rig this summer up at Canyon Lake on a Tacoma sorry I didn't take a picture. He had one of those over head racks on his truck like you would put ladders on but he had added Kayak supports on it. he also had added a receiver in the font of the truck that he has a receiver bike rack on with two bikes. It was all compact looking and solid.
Best of luck.
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

One guy who was on the forum awhile back had dealer installed racks on the front roof section of his FR A Frame. They were up enough to protect the bubble windows. Don't know that I would do it but it seemed to work for him.

I have a bed cap on my truck. The kayaks go on top with the bikes in the bed and the gear in the camper. There are tall racks that would work on your Tacoma.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:02 PM   #5

Multi use "ladder" rack

[QUOTE=Richard Cunningham;939766]Looking for options for carrying my two kayaks and two bikes on our Rockwood A192HW. I can put the bikes in the truck but it would be nice to stow them in a rack. Any advice for manufactured or after market or home design is appreciated.

Rick,
I bought a universal cargo / ladder rack for about $90. Added J racks to the sides so I could haul 4 kayaks. I put the 10 footers on top and the 8 footers on the sides. You could easily put the yaks on the J racks and put your bikes on the top with fork locks ($25 a piece) on the front bar and whatever you can come up with to hold the rear tires on the rear bar, straps may be sufficient or you may need something more elaborate. Might get a little tricky depending on yak length vs. bike length etc. but it's worth a look. Our bikes go on a bumper rack for the TT so I haven't had to deal with any of that.

Check out bestchoiceproducts.com for the 2 piece cargo rack - "500 LB Truck Ladder Rack Universal Contractor Pick Up Rack Lumber Cargo New". The J racks I got on Ebay for about $80. I just pinched the top of the J racks in the vise to get that top tube in the curve small enough to hang on the cleats that are welded on to the side rails of the cargo rack and ran one bolt through the strut to stabilize it side to side. So far it has been great on several out of state trips. I get lots of compliments on my rack... no pun intended.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rack_closeup.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	84645  
Nights camped 2017-16, 2018-6, 2019-10
Admiral_Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #6
World Traveler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmmjmoore View Post
I saw a neat rig this summer up at Canyon Lake on a Tacoma sorry I didn't take a picture. He had one of those over head racks on his truck like you would put ladders on but he had added Kayak supports on it. he also had added a receiver in the font of the truck that he has a receiver bike rack on with two bikes. It was all compact looking and solid.
Best of luck.
I have the Tacoma and on Amazon there is a front Receiver for about $170 and I got it installed and it make for an easy way to carry bikes/Kayaks. My 4runner does not have a easy bolt on kit for a front receiver and that gives
me less options.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #7

I carry my canoe on top of my truck cap. I wanted to be able to load and unload by myself, so I got 2 old tent poles with about a 6" bend at the top. I stick them into the end of the rack tubes. They are about 6' long, and I slide the bottoms closer to the truck until they are under tension and stay in by themselves. I can slide the canoe up the poles and onto the rack by myself pretty easily. I keeps the canoe far enough from the truck that I don't scratch my truck. I have a lift on my truck, and I'm 5'-8". Wi this setup, I can load/unload the canoe while still hooked to the trailer since it comes off the side of the truck instead of the back.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #8

I would love to see a pic of your set up please mnoland30.
Eddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1438607764.954106.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	84836Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1438607788.074273.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	84837

this is that I use when taking my bikes with the TT attached, you can have 4 bikes or a combination of bikes with kayaks, you can also look at getting the stake pocket rack that raise even higher off the bed. i googled truck bed bike racks and came up with a bunch of images for ideas.
burch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #10

To Eddie G.

I didn't think to take pictures when we were using it, but here is a link to where I got the idea.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack