Old 09-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
Makin' Life Simple

Thumb Turn Cam Lock

Just ordered four from Bill at Wholesale 4 in Portland. He is easy to work with. They are back ordered for now so anyone ordering will have to be patient.
Happy travels from Colorado.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisteveski View Post
Just ordered four from Bill at Wholesale 4 in Portland. He is easy to work with. They are back ordered for now so anyone ordering will have to be patient.
Happy travels from Colorado.
I'm enjoying the four I ordered (keyed alike). I had to assemble all four locks before installation. Downloaded the instructions off the locks website. I became very proficient installing the last lock.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #23
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tent2TT View Post
I am looking at purchasing these at Grainger, they are local to me and I would not have to pay shipping. To those that have already ordered and received their locks, did they come packaged with a straight cam and an offset cam? Thanks for reply
I have a local Graingers too, and the part number for their keyed thumb lock is 4LHR3, with a price of $6.80 each. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...rue&sst=subset I haven't ordered any yet, they don't have them in stock locally. What I can't tell from the online info is: a) whether the lockset comes with a key (none shown, although many other locksets on their site are shown WITH keys); b) how long the barrel of the lock is, and c)whether it comes with an offset cam, as the only one shown is a straight cam. The last may not be a problem if the cam on the current lock will fit (but I can't tell that from the picture either). One would think a key would be standard but assumptions can be troublesome. Has anyone had an up-close look at this lock?
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #24

I don't know about the grainger lock. The locks I ordered from wholesale 4 only come in 7/8 inch according to Bill.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #25

This is a really great and helpfull mod. Ordered mine just now.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #26

Thats great, Evereddie!

Catworker & 10x, did you find yourself opening and closing your doors just because you 'could'? Haha - I know I do...I walk by El Beso & turn the lock because I can. Haha. My husband shakes his head...I really think it is my favorite (and simplest) modification done for the A-Frame so far!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #27

It sure is nice to have access without reaching for a key. Seems like I was always locking and unlocking one of the compartment doors.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #28
Makin' Life Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by catworker View Post
I'm enjoying the four I ordered (keyed alike). I had to assemble all four locks before installation. Downloaded the instructions off the locks website. I became very proficient installing the last lock.
Hi Catworker,
Just got my Cam Locks ( took over three weeks because of back order). So I've had to review the thread. Did you assemble all locks and then take them apart to install? Wasn't sure what you meant.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #29

Hi Steve
I assembled all the springs and bearings into each of my four lock assemblies. There's a ring that slips over the assembly that dictates the direction you insert the key and direction you turn the key to lock or unlock your door. That ring was my biggest optical. All my lock assembles are setup so my key slides into the lock in the same direction. I tubed my locks during assembly with Tri Flow before installation.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #30

Still waiting for mine. But no hurry now. Trailer is in the shop to fix damage when a tree limb went through the roof. I patched the hole and we have been using it all summer. No issues but need to get it fixed. We only camped in it one weekend before the tree hit.