Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #1

Latest Trip Report

Just got back from my one nighter at Brazos Bend State Park. Man, I love this park.

Here's how it went. Got to the park about 9:30 am yesterday. Was set up in about 30 minutes total time.

First, the bad thing that happened. Hooked everything up and turned on the water....went inside to check and water running from under the sink cabinet onto the floor....CRAP....found the glass jar which the water filter sets in had broken at the neck that screws in and was sitting on the shelf so all the water was running straight through onto the floor....turned water off and dried everything real good.

We seldom used the water inside the camper (and have never used the stove). We take bottled water to drink so I'm going to try and find a way to bypass the water filter completely and just have water running into the sink straight from the outside. (Going to look at that tomorrow so any helpful hints would be appreciated. )

Just about the time I got set up a man and wife pulled up pulling an Aliner...asked me how I liked my Aframe....showed me his and they don't come with air conditioners so they had installed a window unit next to the door. The air conditioner sticks out the side right by the door....he showed me how next to the air conditioner the side of the wall looked like it had given way or had caved in and he had repaired it with some type of clear epoxy. Told me to be careful if I installed an air conditioner....told him mine came with built in air conditioning.

Two other campers came over to look at the Aframe....one had a popup with slide out...they had two families staying in his camper....the other person had a Cassita...he said they liked it but it was so small inside with hardly any room. I showed him how mine made into two beds or two tables or one bed and one table...just depending on what you wanted...had plenty of space for two people IF you camped the way my wife and I do which is stay outside most of the time.

I set the EZ-UP canopy up and had a large fan blowing hot air on me all afternoon in the shade....read a book....kicked back and didn't do much at all other than ride the bike. That evening had a good T-bone steak, baked potato and beans. Man I love camping. Took a shower and crawled inside where it was nice and cool....read a while and then went to sleep.

This morning took long bike ride....packed up when it got to about 90 degrees and was home in an hour.

The people with the popup started packing up before I did.....I was packed, loaded, camper down and hooked up and was leaving and they were still trying to put their popup down. Man, I'm glad I have an Aframe.

At the park I saw the following: (1) 17 deer (2) 1 raccoon (3) 1 rabbit (4) 3 gators (5) lots of crows and other birds (6) about a million squirrels...ok maybe not a million but several hundred thousand...they were everywhere.

Have I said how much I love camping.

Here are some photos:

Brazos Bend State Park Trip-07-29-15 by David Hatten | Photobucket

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #2

I love BBSP.

Guess the gators didn't git ya. Did the coons?

A 3/4 inch Sch. 40 PVC nipple will replace the housing. Either find one premade or make it yourself. Just don't use the cut off type made for sprinkler systems.

I love BBSP.

The Aliners do come with an optional 5,000 BTU AC sticking out of the side. I can't fathom why anyone would want the noise and exhaust of an AC right by the door where it will heat up the place most of us set up chairs. But I can see why they do it that way as the camper is narrower than a FR A Frame.

I love BBSP.

A friend that has and Aliner made use of and "indoor" AC by cutting a exhaust port out of the plastic side window on his much older camper. Thought a low BTU it works well enough he says.

And did I say, I love BBSP.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsa3 View Post
The people with the popup started packing up before I did.....I was packed, loaded, camper down and hooked up and was leaving and they were still trying to put their popup down. Man, I'm glad I have an Aframe.
This is exactly why I bout my A FRame.

With a little care and planning, I can strike camp much faster than most tent campers in our group.

Things like making sure when arriving back at camp on Saturday afternoon, I back into the site aligned for hitching. The minimal approach of Aframe camping vs pups also really helps because I am normally a disorderly disaster of a camper.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #4

who the heck in there right mind camp in a park with gators
Old 07-31-2015, 06:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
who the heck in there right mind camp in a park with gators
This park is known for it's gators. At one time they advertised that they had over 300 gators in the park. I've seen as many as 25 in one day on a bike trip through the park.

You just have to use common sense around them....and believe me some people should not be allowed to breed....

Wife and I was riding on the bike trail once and there was a gator about 12' long laying halfway on the bike trail. There was a group of people with little kids and dogs standing around this gator within 10' of him watching him....a park volunteer was standing a ways off watching them....talk about stupid people. Wife and I rode around them and got out of there...didn't hear of anyone getting eaten that day so I guess it went ok.

I've seen how fast a gator is on land and you won't outrun them for a short distance.

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:21 PM   #6

Visiting the Everglades one day. Near the boat launch and dock was a good-sized gator just floating with part of head just above water. Birds flying around, not many skeeters because of a decent breeze. Bird soars low about 5ft above the gator's head. In a blink of an eye, the gator rears up on its tail and snatches the bird out of the air. Chomps the bird and resettles into resting/floating position. That sight was impressed into my memory banks, as to what gators are really capable of.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (mnivan)
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:21 PM   #7

ive driven gator ally in florida before and gotten out of my truck, but never got close enough to be gator food...lol