Old 09-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
Found this, for under $3 figure it's worth trying.

Mini dimmer
I ended up getting this mini dimmer, works great. It does not have on/off so you'll still need a separate 12V automotive switch, but the ability to dim the lights is a great added feature. Works as expected and for a couple dollars well worth it.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
I ended up getting this mini dimmer, works great. It does not have on/off so you'll still need a separate 12V automotive switch, but the ability to dim the lights is a great added feature. Works as expected and for a couple dollars well worth it.
Spliced the LED strip into the fold-down switch, with the mini dimmer inline, ran an illuminated 12v switch to a location under the power outlet next to the electrical center, now able to turn led strip on/off and also control brightness with the mini dimmer. Total expense less than $15 for LEDs, dimmer, switch and some wire and connectors I had laying around.

I ran wire from the fold-down switch location through the grommet at top of rail and down into the HW Heater compartment. Was pretty straightforward, took about 45 min and most of that was snaking the three wires through the wall panel as I didn't have a wire snake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	40384  

Old 09-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #13
Mostly Harmless

So with the dimmer installed there does it also dim the factory ceiling light? I've been thinking that would be a good reason for me to get a couple of those dimmers, since I have LEDs in those fixtures. The other LED light strips I installed along the top of the A walls are fine at their native brightness, but even with LED bulbs in the ceiling lights they're too bright most of the time.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
So with the dimmer installed there does it also dim the factory ceiling light? I've been thinking that would be a good reason for me to get a couple of those dimmers, since I have LEDs in those fixtures. The other LED light strips I installed along the top of the A walls are fine at their native brightness, but even with LED bulbs in the ceiling lights they're too bright most of the time.
What's up hamguy?

I did not wire the dimmer in to control the ceiling lights as well, but you likely could by changing where the inline mini dimmer went... Wire it in before the feed for the overhead lights and you'd be good, or better yet get two, they're only $3 after all, and have independent dimmers for both the led strip and the overhead lights.

Cheers.

Tags
led, led mod, light