Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

Leveling the A122S

Hello all,

A question about leveling the A122s...

During a recent trip, the constant up- down and sideways leveling left both wheels off the ground. I'm guessing that this isn't good, but I know there's more to leveling than just cranking those jacks up and down and many of you have it down to a science.

I would think that the initial height of the thing that attaches to the hitch on the back of the truck has something to so with it... do we start with that first and then tinker with the jacks on the sides?

And then to measure level, should I put the level right in front of the refrigerator? That's really the reason we do this, isnt' it?

Thanks for helping the newbies!
paula

2016 A122S

TV: 2012 Silverado
PaCamper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #2

Set your level on the floor where it can be seen from the door, and get the left to right square. I use an anderson leveler to make this fast and easy, but you can use a BAL leveler, or blocks, or whatever you feel most comfortable with. then use the tongue to set the front to back.

Once level, crank your stabilizers down till they touch, and give em a little more, maybe half a turn, depending on the surface.

I've found everything shifts a bit after its been unloaded and camp is set up, but nothing so far out that a few small adjustments of the stabs doesnt fix.

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped 2016: 14
Nights camped 2017: 11 (so far)
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:15 PM   #3

Those "jacks" are not jacks! They are stabilizers to be deployed after the camper has heen leveled. They are not made to support the weight of the trailer.
You use the hand cranked tongue jack to level the trailer front to back, and per the post before mine, you use some method to raise the low side wheel until the trailer is level side to side.
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #4

Use a Bal leveler, Lynx type plastic blocks or wood boards under the low side wheel to get the side to side level. When the front to back is done too, put the stabilizers down until they just touch the ground. If you see the camper lift in the corner, then back off a bit.

I use a Bal leveler because it both level the camper and serves as a chock too. You can use a Bal high side chock for a super stable setup that will feel almost as firm as the slab in your home.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #5

Side to side first with items others have suggested, then front to back with trailer jack. I start with the level on tongue first then put level in fridge or floor in front of fridge and fine tune if necessary. Then puts stabs. down. As you stated fridge is main reason to level trailer.

Tags
a122, leveling