Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #1

Life's a Gas.....but Where do You Store It?

Hi,
I love to boondock and take the road less traveled but unfortunately my tow vehicle does not get the best gas mileage and gas stations are few and far between. Factor in a generator, and I'm thinking I might need to bring extra gas with me.

My question- I have the T12RBS and am thinking about possibly putting a Jerry Can gas mount inside the front storage area. Is this a bad idea? Any other gas mount ideas?

All non-explosive ideas welcome!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitink2 View Post
Hi,
I love to boondock and take the road less traveled but unfortunately my tow vehicle does not get the best gas mileage and gas stations are few and far between. Factor in a generator, and I'm thinking I might need to bring extra gas with me.

My question- I have the T12RBS and am thinking about possibly putting a Jerry Can gas mount inside the front storage area. Is this a bad idea? Any other gas mount ideas?

All non-explosive ideas welcome!
Been discussed here before - do a search.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #3

All that divides the trunk from the living part of the camper is a thin luan wall. It seems to me that the fumes will get into the camper no matter how careful you are. I would at least try it first and see if the odor get through. As long as you take the gasoline out and vent the trunk well every night, personal safety doesn't seem to be a problem. Is there no way to add a jerry can rack to the back of your 4Runner?

ETA and I'd make sure not to leave the fridge lit on the road. Or light it or the water heater while gas or fumes are in the trunk.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Been discussed here before - do a search.
I did several searches, both on the site and on Google, and couldn't find a discussion. Do you have some search terms that work?

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
I did several searches, both on the site and on Google, and couldn't find a discussion. Do you have some search terms that work?
Search "Extending your range".
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #6

Boom!

Gas cans should never be stored inside enclosed areas. One spark and it will no longer be enclosed.
jimdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #7

How much extra fuel are we talking about?
The most simple is going to be a tow vehicle mounted carrier for one or more Gerry can type fuel containers. You could also upgrade the OEM tank to higher capacity. If it were a pickup there are bed-mounted tank options like are used for construction crew support vehicles.

What about a propane generator?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #8

Sounds like my best option may be to go with Yakima rack roof mounted brackets. I'm only thinking I'll need 5 gallons or so.

I'm looking at RotoPax gas containers - a bit pricey but based on reviews, they may be worth the peace of mind.

Thanks for the quick and open replies!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #9

RotopaX are very cool, pricey but a great way to go if you can swing it.

Tags
gas