Old 01-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #1
Light Amp draw

My wife and recently picked up a 2016 AS212HW Hardside by Forest River. On our first shakedown trip this week. Trying to find out if anyone knows how many amps the ceiling lights in the 2016 212HW draw eac, and whether or not they are LED's. Haven't figured out how to pop the cover off to look at the bulb and did not want to risk prying them out of the ceiling. Thanks !

Wanderer1844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
Usually Confused Member
Leave the light on for about 15 minutes then place your hand over the lens. If it is very very warm and even hot that's an indication it's not an LED. You can also look closely at the light to see if it is a single bright spot (non-led). If it looks like several tiny bulbs it's definitely LED. LED is good because is draws an insignificant amount of amperage compared to the incandescent bulb.

As far as getting the cover off there are as many ways to do it as there are brands. If it's the most popular type where it's an oval shape (about 4" wide by 10" long) you can slide a knife blade or similar into the point where the lens meets the body next to the switch. Wiggle it very (very) gently and if the lens moves toward the outside hand slide it about to ⅜ inches until it stops. Then, alternately squeeze the side of the lens and will come out. Be gentle with all this and everything will be fine.

If it's not that type light....well, I don't have a clue.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
Thanks for the feedback. The light gets barely warm, but never hot, even after several hours of continuous use. It is about the size you indicated and appears to have a long fluorescent style bulb. I can not tell what it's wattage is however. Will try to find a way to convert to LEDs as much prefer those for off grid camping for obvious reasons. Thanks again !
Old 01-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
Head Rambler
Post a few pictures of the fixture with it lit and we can probably tell you what it is.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
Forest River put LEDs for the interior lights in the A-frames beginning in 2013-2014. I have a 2014 model with the interior (2) LED lights. The rest of the lights (external) are all incandescent bulbs.

The LED lights likely draw from about 1/2 amp, compared to 2.2 amps for normal incandescent interior lights.

Mine are hard-wired in. When one of the LED lights lost half its segments, I had to cut the wires and wire nut the replacement fixture. The official replacement (entire fixture) was $30 at my dealer.

I do wish the LED lights had a 3 position switch with a half brightness possible - the stock lights are very bright.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
Agree that almost certainly a LED light. My 2015 lights were so bright and white that they felt like an operating room. I elected to replace them with "warm white" led panels that now make the trailer feel much more warm and cozy with less intensity of the light. I had to cut the two wires (easy) to the original led to splice in the replacements.

Well worth it for my trailer...I can have several LED lights on together and total draw is less than 1 amp.
2015 Rockwood A128S
2010 Rockwood 2604
2014 Ford F-250 CC SB 2WD
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #7
Thanks so much for the info