Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #1

Load Star Tires

I was reading a post on the Aliner's forum about tires and started thinking about the tires that came on my Rockwood.

I'm pretty sure these are Chinese (or some other foreign) tires: Load Star ST175/80R13. Recommended max pressure cold: 65psi

I normally run 60 psi in them and so far no problems. I was wondering what tires do you run on your Aframe? What PSI do you run? Do you know anything about the Load Star tire?

Thanks

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #2

I still have the OE radials and run them at the sidewall recommended max pressure of 65 psi. I am unsure of the brand. And yes they are probably Chinese and made to meet a price point rather than for durability. But they don't get many miles either.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
I still have the OE radials and run them at the sidewall recommended max pressure of 65 psi. I am unsure of the brand. And yes they are probably Chinese and made to meet a price point rather than for durability. But they don't get many miles either.
X2. Always 65 PSI at beginning of trip. On my 2nd year with the OE tires ("Westlake" made in China). 1st year saw approx 2K miles, with perhaps 300 miles between 65 and 75 MPH. This year, 1200 miles so far, all at about 68 MPH. Visual inspection shows no issues yet. I only run about 2800 lbs or less - GVWR is 3100 lbs.

Interesting reading the sidewalls. Tires are rated for 1710 lbs single axle, but only 1520 lbs dual axle. Not so good for the big boys.

Will probably replace after 5 years due to age, not wear.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #4

I run mine at 60 PSI and do the speed limit of 75, I have about 15K on them and they seem fine. Plan to do Alaska this fall that will be another 8K. I do not plan to change them before the trip. Our trailer are so light, our tire do not seem to be a problem.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #5

These tires are the only D rated tires (65 psi max) I've ever seen for a 13" wheel. I just put them on my trailer. Even if you think these tires are Chinese cheapies, I don't know of any alternative.

I'd like to here how these tires have worked for everybody. Post up how long you've had them, how many miles if known, and if you've had any issues.

Just fyi for those that don't know, blowouts tear up the floor of your trailer and do a lot of damage, so good tires are really important.
steve999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve999 View Post
I'd like to here how these tires have worked for everybody. Post up how long you've had them, how many miles if known, and if you've had any issues.
Do a forum search on "china bombs" and you will get a ton of info... Even though most of the posts are not about A-Frames specifically it is the same tires...
Old 05-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #7

I dont see any way to search just the a frame forum.. I'd sorta like to hear how folks are doing with the D rated tires on A frames. They won't be pushing the tires so close to the limit like other trailers.
steve999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
I dont see any way to search just the a frame forum..
At the top of the A-Frame forum and you will see: Threads in Forum : A Frame Campers. Look to the right of that text and there is the "Search This Forum" that will only look in this forum.

Quote:
I'd sorta like to hear how folks are doing with the D rated tires on A frames. They won't be pushing the tires so close to the limit like other trailers.
I read the Tent Camper section as well as they are very close to the A-Frames. Probably around 70-80% of the basic chassis, appliances, wiring, etc are the same as the A-frames. We just don't have to deal with any tenting and they don't have to deal with leaky windows!

Regarding the tires and pushing the limits. The big A-Frames, like my T21QBWH, and the big pop ups actually weigh as much or more than some of the light travel trailers like the R-Pod and the small hybrids. So there is a good amount tire info that can "cross over" there as well.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #9

As I noted in my earlier post in this thread, the load rating for my A-frames Chinese tires is REDUCED when used with dual axles. This tells me what I had already had guessed - a dual axle installation is much harder on tires than a single axle.

My guess as to other reasons A-frames and PUPs don't seem to have the tire problems the big boys do is
1) more difficult to overload a PUP or A-frame because the fold-down requirement limits internal storage space.

2) the fold-down nature reduces cross-wind loads on the tires - there's not as much side wall to catch the wind and cause the tire to squirm under the side loads.

3) I think it's easier for tire manufacturers to make a smaller tire without defects. The smaller size Chinese tires can meet specs without as many rejects. Again, conjecture on my part.

4) There seems to be more headroom on the tire loading on the smaller campers. My A122 has a GVWR of 3,068 lbs. The OEM Westlake 185R13 LR D tires have a load rating of 3,420 lbs. That's over a 10% cushion if I'm at max weight.

Since I normally trailer at about 2,800 lbs, I have a real cushion of close to 900 lbs (26%) on the tires when the tongue weight is subtracted. Even a marginal tire should be able to operate quite successfully for many miles at only 75% load, especially if kept properly or fully inflated (I use the full 65 PSI).

I expect the OEM Westlakes to age out (I think I'm going to use 7 years since my A-frame is stored inside, no UV degradation except when towing/camping) before they wear out or fall apart. Typical year would be 2,000 to 4,000 miles. I'm on my 2nd year with 3,500 total miles to date. Time will tell whether I'm right or not.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan) with Equalizer 600/6000
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 05-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
This tells me what I had already had guessed - a dual axle installation is much harder on tires than a single axle.
I suspect much of the reduced capacity has to do with turning. A multi-axle trailer will drag the rubber laterally much more than a single axle on any turn and particularity on tight turns like backing into a site.

Quote:
Since I normally trailer at about 2,800 lbs,
I was surprised when I weighed my camper (the same 2800# with a full tank of water) at how much surplus capacity is built into an A-Frame. I just can't see needing so much more gear that I would reach the GVWR of 3,283.

But it's nice to have the assurance that I can take what I want and not worry about overweighting my tires. I've had a blowout on the Interstate miles from an exit before and it was a pain.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #11

"This tells me what I had already had guessed - a dual axle installation is much harder on tires than a single axle."

I don't think "harder" is speculating correctly here. Although I pull in the 12.5K plus category ... I've never worn out any tandem axle tires in over 20 years of RVing. I seldom go over 5 years on tires. Not because of wear, but because of carcas lifespan.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
"This tells me what I had already had guessed - a dual axle installation is much harder on tires than a single axle."

I don't think "harder" is speculating correctly here. Although I pull in the 12.5K plus category ... I've never worn out any tandem axle tires in over 20 years of RVing. I seldom go over 5 years on tires. Not because of wear, but because of carcas lifespan.
Are there plenty of tandem axle RVs that don't have tire failures? Sure. But there are still a disturbing number of catastrophic tire failures being reported on various forums. And I stand by my conclusion that the squirming and side-ways rolling of the tire that is more prevalent in tandem (dual) axle configurations is a common failure mode for trailer tires. Otherwise, the manufacturer wouldn't derate his tires by 11% for a dual axle installation.

The obvious other conclusion is that running tires at less than 90% of load capacity is a good thing, apparently significantly decreasing risk of failure.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 05-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #13

Well I can say last year when servicing bearings on my 06 5r I accidentally spotted an issue in between the tread on one of these very tires. Looking closer I saw hairline cracks all the way around the tire and between all tread gaps. There was no sign of a problem when I looked from the side of the tires. Worse yet I looked at the others and all 4 had cracks. Went to DISCOUNT TIRE and replaced them all. Scary with 6000+ lbs riding on them.
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:43 PM   #14

Quote:
These tires are the only D rated tires (65 psi max) I've ever seen for a 13" wheel. I just put them on my trailer. Even if you think these tires are Chinese cheapies, I don't know of any alternative.

Just fyi for those that don't know, blowouts tear up the floor of your trailer and do a lot of damage, so good tires are really important.
I agree. You do not usually see D rated tires in a 13" rim. Heck. I would have a hard time finding D rated for a 14".

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #15

MSLA I think you read the chart wrong; tires are de-rated when used in dual wheel applications (like 1 ton trucks) not dual axles.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #16
Done with this

We had Load Stars on our old pop up. Never had a problem or complaint. Bought it with them and sold it with the same tires 6 years later.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
MSLA I think you read the chart wrong; tires are de-rated when used in dual wheel applications (like 1 ton trucks) not dual axles.
X2
Old 05-17-2015, 05:45 AM   #18

Quote:

Thanks....but wasn't me that said that. I never knew they were de-rated for any reason so I plead ignorance.

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #19

It was me. Printed on the sidewall (among other warnings and ply makeup) of my 2014 Rockwood A122 OEM tires:

Westlake
ST185/80R13 Load Range D
max load single axle 1710 lbs at 65 PSI
max load dual axle 1520 lbs at 65 PSI

I was surprised when I read all the fine print on the sidewall. I was also surprised that I could not find another brand of same size trailer tire in load range D on-line at any of the popular sites.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
Old 05-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Who would put trailer tires sized for a pop up on a dually truck?

2012 Rockwood A122S

Tags
tire, tires